N-Europe

Given Up On TV

Ashley

What like this?

This warm, whimsical documentary visits Louisburg for North Carolina's 31st International Whistling Competition. That's right: it's competitive whistling, and the title of Grand Champion is hotly contested. Will the trophy go to geeky Chris and his unusual lip work, or to the suavely hairsprayed Steve, who thinks he's to whistling what Pablo Casals is to the cello? Or will laid-back Dutch newcomer Geert prevail? These lovable loons provide plenty of laughs reminiscent of This Is Spinal Tap or A Mighty Wind, but the film doesn't patronise them, and the contest is actually quite exciting, particularly when the bow-tied judge announces there's a dead heat. Which means - yes! - a tense, sudden-death "whistleoff". Puckering great.

That is why BBC4 has no freaking viewers.. they air a documentary about whistling on prime time Sunday night TV.

Idiots.[/this is not a joke]

What like this?

This warm, whimsical documentary visits Louisburg for North Carolina's 31st International Whistling Competition. That's right: it's competitive whistling, and the title of Grand Champion is hotly contested. Will the trophy go to geeky Chris and his unusual lip work, or to the suavely hairsprayed Steve, who thinks he's to whistling what Pablo Casals is to the cello? Or will laid-back Dutch newcomer Geert prevail? These lovable loons provide plenty of laughs reminiscent of This Is Spinal Tap or A Mighty Wind, but the film doesn't patronise them, and the contest is actually quite exciting, particularly when the bow-tied judge announces there's a dead heat. Which means - yes! - a tense, sudden-death "whistleoff". Puckering great.

That is why BBC4 has no freaking viewers.. they air a documentary about whistling on prime time Sunday night TV.

Idiots.[/this is not a joke]

So what part of "This is not to criticise TV" did you not understand? Yes theres a lot of crap out there, as well as the good, but this is a thread to discuss whether TV on DVD is superior to showing new episodes and such on TV. Don't make me use my adminly powers.

Apparently More4+1 currently occupies the slot that it will take right now, as digitalspy goes on..

We have the ex-chairman of FilmFour to thank, he's now boss man at Channel 4 and he loves films! Win Win.

thomson%20DHD4000.jpg

Freeview, 40gb hard drive (20 hours DVD quality) and you can watch one channel while recording another, or even record 2 at once.

Wowza to that, how much £160 c|net gave it 9.0, beating the Philips offering at £260. I'm thinking of getting one of those once signal strength improves here.

I need one of those.

Fully agree with everyone here, 24 is made for DVD. Also, I like to have Simpsons episodes ready when I want them, not at 6. I would miss the spontinueity (sp) of the 6oclock episodes. Even if they only ever show Seasons 4 and 5.:angry:

Yeh most people tend to watch 24 when it comes out on DVD. My mate's dad is doing exactly that, ignoring the current season 5 of 24 on Sky and waiting to watch it when its out on DVD.

Personally, I don't see how he does it. I need my 24 fix as much as I need my Lost fix. Both great shows.

I think the only show I need my fix of is Veronica Mars. Thinking about it waiting for the DVDs gives me something to watch during the dry summer months (dry TV wise), so I think this plan is getting better by the day.

i suppose yeh it just depends on how desperately you wana watch something. i could wait for battlestar to come out on DVD but that would drive me mad lol! yet i can wait for 24... even though i love it too. thing is, when i bought season one of battlestar (after not seeing the last six episodes on tv and having to wait six months to buy it!) i have to say i watched them even quicker than i would 24!

i dunno, maybe because i've always watched 24 on DVD i'm used to it, with battlestar it gives me something to look forward to (and unplug the phone for :D) every week and if i missed one and had to wait for the dvds to watch the rest of the series i dunno how i'd cope!! :o