NEurope
djamb3

Yu Suzuki (virtua fighter, shenmue) talks Revolution, DS, and takes jab at PSP

Yu Suzuki (Outrun, Afterburner, Virtua Fighter, Shenmue) recently sat down with the guys at Kikizo to discuss a wide range of topics. During the interview the subject of the Revolution and Nintendo DS came up, in which Mr. Suzuki has some kind words to say, and even manages to praise/put down the PSP at the same time.

Kikizo: With that in mind (innovation in the gaming industry), what are your thoughts on the Nintendo Revolution controller? Do you think you’d like to make a game that would take advantage of the system’s unique capabilities?

YS: I quite like it. I think the gameplay experience consists of three different parts: the input device, the gameplay, and the output device. The input is, of course, the means of control. There’s a lot of interesting means of input, like the recent EyeToy. The gameplay is how the game program itself responds to and uses the input. The output, then, is the feedback - audio, visual and so on - and the primary output device is always a monitor of some sort. The Revolution’s focus is, obviously, the input. It’s a new means of controlling the games, and I think it’s an important new development.

Kikizo: We have not seen anything from you on console in a long time. Can you give us your thoughts on the next-gen consoles, and the new portable systems, DS and PSP?

YS: They’re both nice, and very attractive. It’s a pity Sega didn’t make them! [laughs]. The DS is an interesting device, and it’s mostly focused on games for a younger audience. That’s very good. The PSP looks more sleek and stylish, it has a high-quality display, and its audience is older. That’s good too. It’s just too bad there aren’t any games for it! From personal experience, I can say that my kids love the DS. I keep losing to them when we play Puyo Puyo!

As for the consoles, Sony’s big point is performance. The CPU, the GPU, the hardware architecture… Microsoft is about usability, like that of a PC. Nintendo is focusing on innovation - the new input device, like we talked about before. I think it’s good for the player, since it gives them a lot of options. It wouldn’t be interesting if all of the console manufacturers were headed in the same direction.

in http://gonintendo.com

Not a word of Shenmue 3... I've had it with him.

Edit: Read the whole thing, Shenmue Online is looking sweet! Graphically it's like the Dreamcast game in high-res though.

Just stop laughing and make Shenmue III Yu!!!!!!!

YS: The DS is an interesting device, and it’s mostly focused on games for a younger audience. That’s very good. The PSP looks more sleek and stylish, it has a high-quality display, and its audience is older. That’s good too.

*sigh*

He talks about Shenmue online and there's some screenshots too, it's pretty much Shenmue 3 in my book - He also says the story is a continuation from Shenmue 2!! :D

He says: "The story will be finished though games" when asked if the story might be finished on DVD or something.

VERY encouraging! : peace:

I haven't got a PC that is powerfull enough for games :cry:

Same here! :cry:

so01.jpg

If your computers can't run that in some form if feel a little sorry for you guys.

It looks pretty much identical to the Dreamcast game but larger.

so04.jpg

Hmm maybe not...

so06.jpg

Check out Kikizo.com for more! :)

Yu Suzuki - Producer (Shenmue, Virtua Fighter)

Dec. 28, 2005

Asked about the PS3, Revolution, and Xbox 360, he refers to Xbox 360 as being PC-like, Revolution as being toy-like and PS3 as being like a super home appliance.

Cmon now....the actual Rev. hardware is the least toy-like of the 3 systems. Its a rectangle-shaped box with a rectangle-shaped remote, with sophisticated interface.

Now if he goes and releases Virtua Fighter Kids 2 on it, then it becomes toy-like.

Just stop laughing and make Shenmue III Yu!!!!!!!

*sigh*

He's still planning on making it!

The thing is that the Shenmue games were the most expensivelly developed games EVER!

And they were sold for the Dreamcast, so it sold badly.

Shenmue Online is a cashcow, so he'll afford to make SMIII!

Where can I find ingame screens of SMO?

Just saw an FMV trailer. And by the way, what is happening on that trailer? Haven't seen any of it in the actual game!

Just so you all know Shenmue Online got cancelled a few weeks ago.

Well at least I think it did.

The interview says its (SMO) still on track, and that interview was only posted two days ago. Granted he may have been interviewed some time ago but I think the site would have mentioned it if it were cancelled.

The DS is an interesting device, and it’s mostly focused on games for a younger audience. That’s very good. The PSP looks more sleek and stylish, it has a high-quality display, and its audience is older. That’s good too. It’s just too bad there aren’t any games for it! From personal experience, I can say that my kids love the DS. I keep losing to them when we play Puyo Puyo!

Oh yeah so having fun with DS games is kiddie like, and a stupid PSP games with graphics is adult like, then I would rather stay a kid. "Its like Cheese you can play with out side,(BOOM), AW SH*T the battery in my Cheese blew up!"

Well it's official; Suzuki still thinks of Nintendo as mostly for kids - probably little chance of Shenmue for the Revo' then... :(

nintendo will change his mind, i can hear reggie's leash being taken off him now!! :o

and afterburner with the revo's controller! ooooooooo.... ppplllleeeeaaassseee!!! please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please .... pretty please...?