N-Europe

Revolution Design Picture

system_error

Guest Stefkov

maybe that extra plug hole above what looks like the GC plug socket is maybe a hole for a wire so we can send information across. i mean say if some epople dont have the dongle at home,(which im sure nintendo said that we can use the dongle to connect our revs to the internet for online games) then we can connect to a pc from that plug through a wire. or the USB ports couild be for that, it was only an idea.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

revolutionback2bv.th.jpg

You know in duck hunt.. the system needed a little reciever to be placed on the top of the television to calibrate the controller's shooting action.

Perhaps this obscure port is just for that.. the controller can't work from the system itself because it has been designed to work horizontally and vertically.. it would be harder to engineer than simple having a small reciever.

I'd say the that's the system port layout.. and I reckon that the DVD dongle goes in the bottom, 4 gamecube ports on the top, 2 gamecube memory cards on top and under the hood at the front.. i'm not saying.

I don't think it's SD, aren't the gamecube memory cards enough to take a game profile to a mates house to play multiplayer? wouldn't that compliment the systems 512mb on board enough? Nintendo if they put SD on the system are opening up a world of hacking and internet sharing.. I am skeptical.

USB internet connection, camera, future expandability.. no real use at the moment.

Yes@Nintendork!!!

SD is no revolution...so please can anybody stop to claim that SD-cards are going in there? It´s sick to claim that if there´s the revolution under that flap!

But about piracy...usb 2.0 understands the TCP/IP-protokoll, it could be used for online-gaming(hook it up to your router) but also for streaming

dvd-images directly to the rev. :red:

... USB just transfers stuff. It doesn't understand internet protocols, but the stuff you hook it up to does.

Also, hasn't Nintendo confirmed SD card support? My guess is that it goes under the flap though it doesn't have to be the only thing in there.

I also believed that Nintendo did confirm sd-card support.

and tbh, I'm more inclined to believe spong misinterpreted what was said to them

Nintendo rep "yup, thats the real revolution there" meaning, yes, that is the Nintendo revolution. ie stating the obvious.

Spong: "hmm, we were looking at the flap bit. that must be the revolutionary bit, its a hint!"

thats more believable to me than nintendo thinking "hmm, lets tell users that we will support sd-cards, then, when we release it, we can surprise them and scream "NOT REALLY" lol, that would be fun. yes, lets do that."

It may not be sd-cards, but it was definitely solid storage format, memory sticks highly unlikely, sd most likely, any other storage format sits between the two.

perhaps a custom sd format will be produced though...

YES, nintendo has confirmed use of SD, they confirmed it like at e3 2005.

edit: it seems IGN has identified that the video out is the same for GCN component cables, I didn't know because i never bought them. If it is exclusively for component, then there needs to be a audio out, which might be the mysterious hole.

K, I put the story up on digg and learnt a few good things when it made the frontpage.

Some really good people commented on it and here's what extra things I learnt.

mooseblaster:

Well, here's my two cents, based on previous Nintendo consoles:

Back: A/C plugin (figure of 8), Digital audio out (small, almost square one), Multi AV port (as seen on the N64 and Gamecube), 2 USB ports.

Side panel (with feet): Expansion socket (left hand side, where screw is)

Front panel: On/off, reset, eject buttons, cover hiding connectivity.

Side panel (without feet): Cover hiding Gamecube sockets, Gamecube memory card sockets.

the figure of 8 AC connection means it will have the powersupply unit built into the console. Which is an engineering triump if you ask me.. the Revolution is going to have one of the smallest (stable) footprints in home electronics ever.

I'm leaning more towards the idea of the small square port being digital optical audio.. If you consider the price of a home surround sound kit to the price of a HD television.. the surround kit wins. But if you consider the experience you get from these devices, the sound system puts up a good fight.

Bang for your buck, Surround sound offers an unrivalled experience and is perhaps the technology Nintendo want to push this generation more than HD.

It is immersive, it is 3D, with the controller and a standard definition television the world is yours.

Of course the small port could be firewire someone suggested, I doubt it somehow, the chip is large.. the license fee from Apple would be large.. the benefit to consumers on a mass scale would be slim and none.

Ethernet? No, they already said that it wont be ethernet.

But as another digger pointed out:

I remember seeing a unit that attached to the top of the TV, to track controller movements I believe, while you'd expect that thing to be wireless for ease of setup, all the data it'd be transferring you'd think it'd be more practical to have it wired. So maybe that funny jack is the new jack for the movement sensor. perhaps. But with all honesty, thats just a wild guess.

Which seems logical too, Nintendo might have that little reciever on the top of the system, and it would make sense to have that wired because it will be transferring a lot of data through the system about the controller in real time.

In the publicity shots of the Revolution have we seen the top of the television?

EdX2WT4zfrPiOI_RoY3JWEMfpGJXu5MG.jpg could it be cropped to put emphasis on the system away from the nice TV, or is there a reason why? the reciever hadn't been designed at the time of TGS. A few sources have commented that Revolution will support 7.1 surround sound.

Yeah but what if the cat gets in the way.. or someone places a DVD in front of the reciever (it's happened to me with IR stuff)

I'm thinking that is unlikely because the revolution box can be displayed in multiple directions.

It would be too hard to engineer it.. say it is vertical, how would it have the range to detect such wide movements such as hitting a tennis ball.

I hope it's digital out. It NEEDS Dolby Digital.

It just needs it.

But otherwise it's the remote receiver. Making that wireless would be too expensive for something you never move.

The controller is confirmed to be working with Bluetooth and not infrared. The blue light is only there to make it look cool, like the Cube's red light.

Making the receiever wireless wouldn't be that bad of an idea.. the system is already running wirelessly.. it wouldn't be horrible to have that thing on top running 4 AA batteries (to weigh it down and power it) it could be like a relay thing.

We see it in wireless networks where routers hop across each other to make a mesh network.. It could be do-able??

Whats bothers me is that there are only two USB ports on the back of the console.

Nintendo have already said that there will be no RJ45 port on the console - but that if you wanted a wired internet connection (as I do) you would need an RJ45-USB convertor. This immediately uses up one of the available ports.

...and I think the sensor bar/reciever will definately be wired - it makes no sense at all to have to keep replacing batteries on a sensor bar that never moves from above/below the TV when you could just have one wire from it to the back of the console. So I guess this will connect using a USB port too. (As long as the small square-ish port does turn out to be an optical audio port - which does makes sense)

This means that both USB ports will already be used up on just the internet and sensor bar alone!

So if you want to charge your controllers using a "charge and play" cable - or whatever similar name nintendo has planned for it, you would either have to unplug the internet or the sensor bar!

UNLESS nintendo has added more USB ports under the front flap along with the SD port! ;) (which would make alot more sense dont you think?)

Whats bothers me is that there are only two USB ports on the back of the console.

Nintendo have already said that there will be no RJ45 port on the console - but that if you wanted a wired internet connection (as I do) you would need an RJ45-USB convertor. This immediately uses up one of the available ports.

...and I think the sensor bar/reciever will definately be wired - it makes no sense at all to have to keep replacing batteries on a sensor bar that never moves from above/below the TV when you could just have one wire from it to the back of the console. So I guess this will connect using a USB port too. (As long as the small square-ish port does turn out to be an optical audio port - which does makes sense)

This means that both USB ports will already be used up on just the internet and sensor bar alone!

So if you want to charge your controllers using a "charge and play" cable - or whatever similar name nintendo has planned for it, you would either have to unplug the internet or the sensor bar!

UNLESS nintendo has added more USB ports under the front flap along with the SD port! ;) (which would make alot more sense dont you think?)

I really doubt the sensors connect to the REV via USB. even if they did, whats stopping nintendo making the gc ports on the top the recharge wires etc?

Making the receiever wireless wouldn't be that bad of an idea.. the system is already running wirelessly.. it wouldn't be horrible to have that thing on top running 4 AA batteries (to weigh it down and power it) it could be like a relay thing.

We see it in wireless networks where routers hop across each other to make a mesh network.. It could be do-able??

Yeah, it's doable but not likely. Wireless costs more than wired - and making a thing wireless for the little data it has to send and making it dependant on another power plug just seems innefficient. Also, that'd mean the controller would wirelessly send data to the receiver (movement) and to the console (buttons) making it uselessly complicated and expensive. It'll probably be wired.

About the USB problem - the Rev can be compatible with USB hubs, allowing you to attach 254 USB things. It'll probably be limited to four or eight though :heh: