N-Europe

Game Informer closes after 33 years, everyone laid off effective immediately

Writing has been on the wall for a long time now, but it's still a sad day to see GI close down, especially seeing as they were still seemingly managing to get by both online and in print. I've said it before but back when I first got into gaming The Game Informer Show was one of many I caught up on and tuned in for on a weekly basis during Ben Hanson's time as host, so yeah, this one hurts. Some of their cover stories were genuinely best in the biz, too. 

Yet it refuses to go quietly into the night, and seems to all end on an incredibly sour note – it seems to be the case that not only has everyone been laid off effective immediately at GI, but no-one was made aware of what was going on even after the tweet went out. 

Abhorrent from GameStop and Ryan Cohen. 

Edited by Julius
  • Sad 3

• Julius changed the title to Game Informer closes after 33 years, everyone laid off effective immediately

While I understand that companies have to cut and staff lost (although this seems especially greedy)

Blocking access to every single article previously written for their website is pretty extreme, with zero time for any staff to grab their own backups of their work to get jobs elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

18 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Other than Edge, are there any big gaming magazines left?

I...honestly can't think of any, especially if we're talking a big gaming magazine with a print media element. 

Which is really insane to think about, and such a massive shame :( you've reminded me that I want to take the time to track down certain old copies of Edge though, they have some stellar covers from time to time

Posted (edited)

MinnMax, created by former GI Show host Ben Hanson and a landing point for a number of former GI employees since its inception (be it as guests or part-time), will be doing what GameStop couldn't and are going to be hosting a celebration of Game Informer! 

MinnMax is rolling out a series of videos and podcasts celebrating the incredible, 33-year run of Game Informer magazine. We'll be reunited with old friends and revealing new history from the beloved video game magazine.

Love it. Hanson's always seemed a good egg, glad he's giving many of his former co-workers and friends a platform like this, especially after what GameStop put them through at the end of last week. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Super weird update on this, but it'll make you get those pitchforks back out for sure – GI alumni Ben Hanson was in the Mall of America recently for a MinnMax vid for one of their Patron stretch goals, and popped into a GameStop after noticing a very familiar looking Dark Souls III statue in the window (the below video is timestamped). 

To sum it up: 

No museum donations from the GI library, a load of GameStop managers were brought in to move things around and got first dibs on some items – like the manager in the video getting a mint, sealed in box Japanese copy of Pokémon Green (obviously it's not on that particular guy, I mean why wouldn't you grab that if you had the chance?). Just imagine how much great stuff that must have been in that library for physical game preservation. 

To quote Indy:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9527nffzu1vd8q8ws2oac

And to tweak a quote to make it relevant here, from the ever-eloquent Ben Moore, formerly of Easy Allies: GameStop seem so gleefully happy to piss on the corpse of Game Informer, and they never seem to run out of urine. 

Screw those guys. Seriously. 

Edited by Julius