Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

Commentator trying to make Scottish fans feel better by educating them on head-to-head taking precedence over GD when deciding tiebreakers in the group stages. 

They're 3-0 and a starter down in their opening match for crying out loud, come off it. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Julius said:

Havertz taking the time to drop the keeper and embarrass him, too. That was some BM. 

Heard Mario Krischel on the radio the other day. When asked about Germany's chances, he mentioned four key players. Havertz was one of them. Bodes well for Germany if they rate him and can get a tune out of him.

"Even more harder" -- I'm on the verge of muting this commentary I swear 

Rude of Rudi to even attempt that shot lol

5 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Heard Mario Krischel on the radio the other day. When asked about Germany's chances, he mentioned four key players. Havertz was one of them. Bodes well for Germany if they rate him and can get a tune out of him.

Yeah, think I'd agree that. He's definitely on the mercurial side most of the time, but when he turns up he absolutely turns up, so if he can turn up consistently for Germany this tournament they're going to be a pretty scary proposition. 

Kai's just ice cold, too, like a Tall Mini Kroos...who himself has seemingly defrosted since announcing his retirement, so I guess he's not quite a robot, huh? :laughing:

Posted (edited)

I'd like to talk Wirtz out of his current haircut. 

Also, I know how strong we are with attacking players, but man how much I would've loved to have Musiala turn out for England instead of Germany. It's almost un-German just how stylish and skill-oriented his play is, he's been really fun to watch these first 59 minutes of the tournament. 

Edited by Julius

Posted (edited)

Nagelsmann is still going to lay into them for conceding, and they did completely turn off and the concerns about their defence are very legitimate, but what a beaut from Emre Can. 

Thought they needed to score another after the Scotland goal to get the energy back up and have some momentum for the break leading into the next game. 

Edited by Julius

Posted (edited)

Here we go then, Spain vs Croatia, arguably the tie of the first round of group stage matches. 

And it's on ITV. And Lee Dixon is back. 

angry-stitch-k09t8vtbpl4zry7d.webp

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Can't tell whether showing alternate angles of Pedri taking a ball to the face hard enough to warrant medical attention is distasteful or hilarious. 

Definitely leaning towards the latter :p

Excellent first half for Spain to come away 3-0 up after a solid opening 10-15 minutes for Croatia. To be fair to them, they've had chances after every goal, but they're struggling to put it in the net, a problem Spain just don't seem to be having. 

Could just be one of those days ::shrug:

Simon's early dive, Rodri's weird tackle, saved penalty then the tap-in but oh, no, encroachment and disallowed. 

That's one of the weirdest pen-related bouts of play I think I've ever seen, what a rollercoaster. But all the right calls by the refs and VAR. 

Great result for Spain. 

Lee Dixon doing everything towards the end of the game to make me hate him more. "Oh, it's only Croatia, let's see this Spain side against Germany/France/England", urgh. Got it out for Cucurella despite even admitting himself that he had a brilliant game, which he did. 

Man, that BBC intro for the Euros is brilliant. 

Time to finally hear some half decent commentary. Not a fan of this remix they've made out of audio clips relating to the PTSD of 2021 though :laughing:

Posted (edited)

Really fun first half, especially with that slew of early goals. Impressed with Italy, they look in relative control but will probably be ruing not taking more of their chances -- at the same time, Strakosha has pulled off some great stops (that chip in particular), and Albania look like they could have another goal in them.

Always love to watch Barella and that was a trademark Barella goal, lovely technique. And Chiesa turning the Albanian defence inside out and nutmegging someone on the byline? Insane. 

Anyways, for some funny moments, the sleeve patches seem to be falling off some of the Italy tops, and then there was this...

Crowd is virtually silent

Jenas: this is the problem with passing it around, like Italy are here, it completely sucks the atmosphere out of the stadium.

As if on cue, the entire stadium roars out for no particular reason. 

:laughing:

Edited by Julius

Posted (edited)

My main problem with this whole VAR/semi-automated offside stuff is that they still haven't sorted obvious corners out. Ridiculous. 

That was an excellent save from Donnarumma, though, and a great last chance from Albania. Jenas kept saying they should go for it but I think being composed and waiting for the right moment was absolutely the right call. Shame it didn't come off for them. 

Edited by Julius

Solid win for Italy, but they really should have scored more. Not quite matching the statement wins of Germany and Spain there, but the intent is there for all to see. 

Excellent from Albania, they play like that in their two other games and they're in with a real shout of sneaking into the knockouts. They seem organised and composed for the relative limited quality of their team, and a great goalkeeping display from Strakosha. 

England vs Serbia to look forward to tomorrow now, then :D