NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Josh64

Year of Shadow

It's official, it's the year of Shadow the Hedgehog! 

I would say move over Luigi, but my ageing brain then reminded me that his time to shine was 11 years ago. :cry:

Obviously we have the upcoming third instalment of the Sonic movie franchise which may just feature our lil emo, and there's Sonic X Shadow Generations launching this year, but SEGA also have a bunch of fun events lined up. 

More deets are on the front page!

https://www.n-europe.com/news/sega-announces-year-of-shadow/

• Thanks 1

I have no idea who Shadow is. Is he related to Sonic? A clone? An evil version from an alternate dimension?

55 minutes ago, bob said:

I have no idea who Shadow is. Is he related to Sonic? A clone? An evil version from an alternate dimension?

He's the ultimate lifeform created by Professor Gerald Robotnik (Dr. Robotnik's granddad) and an evil alien who was setting up a long-term invasion of Earth. He then ended up in stasis for 50 or so years before Dr. Robotnik finds him.

He looks like a hedgehog because the professor saw an ancient prophetic mural depicting Super Sonic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sonic isn't actually a hedgehog either though, is he? I thought he was an alien that just happened to look like one.

2 hours ago, bob said:

Sonic isn't actually a hedgehog either though, is he? I thought he was an alien that just happened to look like one.

I think he's both? Like, Planet Mobius is a thing, so it would technically make Sonic an alien? But he's still a hedgehog.

Then again, the series as a whole is a bit of a mess when it comes to keeping lore straight, so it's possible that's not canon anymore?

It does smack to me of Archie Comics nonsense.

Does that imply that all the Earth's hedgehogs are also aliens from another planet, or is it a case of convergent evolution?

5 minutes ago, bob said:

Does that imply that all the Earth's hedgehogs are also aliens from another planet, or is it a case of convergent evolution?

No, but to Sonic and his friends, all of us would be aliens.

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I think he's both? Like, Planet Mobius is a thing, so it would technically make Sonic an alien? But he's still a hedgehog.

Then again, the series as a whole is a bit of a mess when it comes to keeping lore straight, so it's possible that's not canon anymore?

It does smack to me of Archie Comics nonsense.

Mobius was mentioned in some early game manuals but abandoned after Sonic Adventure. They just started calling it Earth.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Mobius was always an invention of the Sonic comics that Sega of America tried to weave into the actual games (SOA constantly attempted to meddle with the Sonic canon in that manner, including attempting to make a 32x Sonic game that starred Tiara from the cartoon/comic series).

The official Sonic canon had Sonic 1 take place on South Island, Sonic 2 taking place on godknowswhere (probably South Island again), Sonic 3&K on Angel Island and Sonic CD on Little Planet.  As for whether or not these islands appear on Planet Earth as we know it? Fuck knows, and I doubt Naoto Ohshima and Hirokazu Yasuhara had any clear idea in mind when they designed the original games and characters anyway.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

On 11/04/2024 at 8:05 AM, Dcubed said:

and I doubt Naoto Ohshima and Hirokazu Yasuhara had any clear idea in mind when they designed the original games and characters anyway

In fairness most of their energy went to thinking about who Sonic was fucking. 

• Haha 1

Meme casting turned real.

Honestly though? He'll be a good fit.  Big get for Paramount!

Well I hope nothing bad happens to someone Shadow cares about…

On 10/04/2024 at 12:57 PM, Cube said:

He's the ultimate lifeform created by Professor Gerald Robotnik (Dr. Robotnik's granddad) and an evil alien who was setting up a long-term invasion of Earth. He then ended up in stasis for 50 or so years before Dr. Robotnik finds him.

He looks like a hedgehog because the professor saw an ancient prophetic mural depicting Super Sonic. 

Seems I missed quite a bit of lore by skipping that game.:eek:

23 hours ago, Ike said:

Seems I missed quite a bit of lore by skipping that game.:eek:

As someone who slogged his way to get the true ending in that game.

It's not worth it. Not even close.

Sign in to follow this