N-Europe

Xena: Warrior Princess: The Talisman of Fate - All N64 Games

Cube

I enjoyed TG Rally 2 back at the time but the feeling of 'deja-vu' was definitely noticeable then, too šŸ˜…

It was cool to have a random track generator available in the game but it did mean the overall track design suffered.

As for damage, I'm not entirely sure the blame is on you! I also struggled to make it through races without stuff happening, especially later on, and it certainly didn't always feel like my fault!

Driving over railway tracks at speed? You deserve to puncture your tire! Taking a superb corner and having the tire blow anyway? Hmm.. not so sure on that one!

I haven't played it for years but I'd guess it feels dodgy enough in 2024..

I always preferred the first game but if they could both somehow come to Nintendo Switch Online that would be great šŸ˜

• Like 1

Xena: Warrior Princess: The Talisman of Fate
Ā 

xena-box-l.jpg

• NA release: 7th December 1999
  • PAL release: 28th February 2000
  • JP release: N/A
  • Developer: Saffire
  • Publisher: Titus
  • N64 Magazine Score: 81%

xena-007.jpg

In 1999, two Xena games were released. The PlayStation got a hack-n-slash adventure, while the N64 got a fighting game. The plot of this game is easily what youā€™d expect: thereā€™s a powerful object, and random characters have to compete for it. This means that Xena (or your character of choice) will have to slice her way through friends in order to win the object.

One small touch with the characters is that when Xena faces Gabrielle, Gabrielle is renamed as ā€œHopeā€ (who is Gabrielleā€™s half-demon evil daughter that magically aged and looks exactly like Gabrielle), but none of Xenaā€™s other friends get the same treatment. Itā€™s also strange that this also happens when playing as Gabrielle ā€“ youā€™ll just be renamed when you fight Xena.

xena-005.jpg

The Talisman of Fate is a fairly simple fighting game. This isnā€™t a bad thing, though, and manages to turn this game into something quite enjoyable. Instead of trying to be a deep fighting game, it instead focuses on speed and excitement, giving you jump and duck buttons for more movement options. It does mean that button mashing works quite well, but it works really well for a tie-in game that will likely have a more casual audience.

xena-004.jpg

The gameā€™s biggest weakness is lack of modes, although still not as lacking as some N64 fighting games. One thing that they did attempt to do was create a 4-player mode, but changing target (pressing A) is a bit clunky. Itā€™s a nice try, even if it doesnā€™t fully work.

Xena is a decent fighting game, which makes it one of the better fighting games on N64.

funn64.png

Fun

Which leaves Xena in the hands of its multiplayer, which, thanks to the balanced firhing, finely-tuned controls and smooth graphics, works a treat. Human opponents are much tougher to beat than their CPU counterparts ā€“ mainly because a friend will immediately find ways to dodge your repertoire of computer-thrashing combos ā€“ and the limited moves make for fights where real skill is needed to find chinks in your opponentā€™s armour. The wealth of bass-heavy crunching sounds effect also helps to make bouts satisfyingly meaty.

Mark Green, N64 Magazine #36

Remake or Remaster?

How about a collection of Xena (and Hercules) games? Nothing special, just a re-release of the games.

Official ways to get the game.

There is no official way to get Xena: Warrior Princess: The Talisman of Fate

• Cube changed the title to Xena: Warrior Princess: The Talisman of Fate - All N64 Games