NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Bros. Wonder (20th October 2023)

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Nothing needs the badges in this game. (Apart from the Badge Challenges, duh)

How to get it without Badges (Reveal hidden contents)

I assume this is the one where you have to swim against the current?

You swim faster if you're holding something, like a shell. That can get you through it.

Spoiler

It was the Airship one that is located at the bottom of the screen without any platforms beneath it. Haven't picked it up yet.

7 hours ago, MindFreak said:
  No, actually (Reveal hidden contents)

It was the Airship one that is located at the bottom of the screen without any platforms beneath it. Haven't picked it up yet.

Oh, that one? Yeah, you still don't need a badge. Hell, it's way safer to not use badge shenanigans for that one.

Spoiler

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh, that one? Yeah, you still don't need a badge. Hell, it's way safer to not use badge shenanigans for that one.

Clip of me doing that. (Reveal hidden contents)

Ha. I just did that very coin not 10 minutes ago exactly the same way Glen did. It’s easy to forget that you can grab those by throwing stomped on enemies at them too. 
Anyway Bowser has been Bashed (lol) and I’m on to collectathon stuff. Have to say I felt the main story (if that really was all) was quite short even by Mario game standards. It does seem the meat of the game is post main story. 
Im loving the Wonder seed segments, some have made me laugh all the way through while other have made me wonder what those guys were on when they thought them up. 

You know you've been playing Castlevania recently when you're trying to crouch and jump down through semi-solid platforms in Mario.

Should be glad it only cost about a dozen deaths on the Secret of Shova Mansion Wonder Seed before I uncovered what to do. I'd come back to it with the elephant power up and all at one point. Even checked out the badge descriptions and action guide to see what I could be missing in Mario's moveset... and I was missing nothing. *blows out cheeks* There was no need for it to be that way. 

Yeah. That sucked lives from me as well. After a few attempts, I just said fuck this and looked it up. Ashamed of that, but whatever. :D

I mean, yeah, it took me a few attempts. But the Flower was kinda screaming at you, so I got it on my third attempt.

Edited by Glen-i

11 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Yeah. That sucked lives from me as well. After a few attempts, I just said fuck this and looked it up. Ashamed of that, but whatever. :D

Can't blame you. I was about to wrap it up for the evening anyway so if I hadn't fluked it I'd have left it for today and the next port of call, after another few unsuccessful tries, would probably have been to knock the online on to see if that offered any clues. I went through the full troubleshooting repertoire of trying to survive/ hold the thing off, looking for hidden blocks, trying to parachute over it, what about getting up into the top corner to let it break the wall. Every other Wonder Seed part has been go-time but this one was a room with question marks in the background so it must be a puzzle room? The flowers speech bubbles were coming through the side of the screen, was I missing a "see-through" square I could escape through or even be pushed through? Even though I brought the elephant I was still thinking the room gives you a mushroom so that must be the key to it. Nope to everything.

It's a great, self-explanatory game but unless I've done levels out of order in W4, I missed the training for that. :blush: 

Goomba's expressions while slow-moing to their doom is quality. 

• Like 1

The credits have rolled.

Spoiler

Final boss was cool, albeit very straightforward and unchallenging. The fact it was rhythm based really went in my favour though. :D
The credits mini-game actually seems way tougher, if you're trying to get every single one of those names that is. :laughing: Can't remember exactly what my final score was, but I do know that I missed loads of them towards the end! :heh:

Looks like I've still got some levels and quite a few badges to find though, and I still haven't used any other character than Mario yet! This is going to be a super replayable game though I reckon, so I'll probably end up going through the whole thing with all of the different characters. :hehe:
Will give local multiplayer a go at some point soon too.

Do you still get online ghost players during local play? I really do love that feature, it's useful but without being intrusive, not to mention incredibly entertaining at times: :grin:

Spoiler

Speaking of entertaining, Mario's stance in this pic really made me laugh:

Was hoping it'd be the end of level freeze-frame, but unfortunately it wasn't so I did my own capture to preserve his awkward pose. :laughing:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Do you still get online ghost players during local play?

Yes, you do. But because you're taking up multiple slots, you only see enough ghosts to fill out the rest of the slots. So if you're playing 2 player, then you'll only see 2 ghosts in a course at once.

If you're playing online with friends (Which we should totally do at one point, because you can have races and win useless trophies) however, you don't see random people, as it's effectively a private room.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Speaking of entertaining, Mario's stance in this pic really made me laugh:

Was hoping it'd be the end of level freeze-frame, but unfortunately it wasn't so I did my own capture to preserve his awkward pose. :laughing:

I just did this level earlier. That was a fun segment.

Those wee pull-chord guys could be in the running for my favourite new enemy. Think they're called Revvers but I'll know for sure when I see the enemy roll call at the end of the game.

• Like 1

These stages in the Fungi Mines are very cool indeed. And seasonal to boot. Had to go back through one just to find the Wonder Flower—it was the first time it had been hidden that particular way, I think.

And the

Spoiler

vine slinging!

Didn't know I needed that movement option until I was doing it!

Currently got it parked at a level the dude advised me to revisit with the sensor badge equipped so it looks like it's time to temporarily doff the parachute cap.

Loving going back and getting all the coins and Wonder Flowers I missed. Yes I’m using the sensor badge but I still need to get the things 😜 

I have World 1, 2,3 and the Petal Isle all complete. As in all seeds, all three coins and the top of the flag. I only have one medal and no idea what you have to do to get the other 5. 

8 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Loving going back and getting all the coins and Wonder Flowers I missed. Yes I’m using the sensor badge but I still need to get the things 😜 

I have World 1, 2,3 and the Petal Isle all complete. As in all seeds, all three coins and the top of the flag. I only have one medal and no idea what you have to do to get the other 5. 

Just keep going, you'll get them eventually.

That said, some levels have a secret exit that doesn't show up on the course screen. If there's a level that doesn't have a green check mark behind the stuff you've collected, then you're missing a secret exit.

Also, spend purple coins on standees before they get over 999 coins. You can't hold more then that, so they'll just go to waste.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Just keep going, you'll get them eventually.

That said, some levels have a secret exit that doesn't show up on the course screen. If there's a level that doesn't have a green check mark behind the stuff you've collected, then you're missing a secret exit.

Also, spend purple coins on standees before they get over 999 coins. You can't hold more then that, so they'll just go to waste.

Thanks, yeah I had noticed the secret exit thing and have managed to find some of them through not having all the checks complete. 

I've hit the 999 limit a few times already so yeah that's not hard to do. I'm buying them when I can and I believe I have all the purchasable badges. Probably a few seeds I can buy on later worlds. Heck, I didn't need them but I bought the 99 lives for 300 just to use the coins lol. 

In the first one to three levels when I was trying to figure the game out, at one point I considered that you might need to talk to all the flowers to get that green stamp!! :laughing: 

Got the last wonder seeds and purple coins last night, thanks to a very helpful and patient online player - the way they've implemented the online is really cool. 

Only gripe really is the grinding for purple coins to complete the collection of standees, is there any quicker way to do it than running through one level over and over?

35 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Only gripe really is the grinding for purple coins to complete the collection of standees, is there any quicker way to do it than running through one level over and over?

I've been trying to get some as I go from the vendor that sells guaranteed new ones. Not sure yet if I'm on course to naturally finish them by the end or not but I reckon I'm getting there and I think I still need 50 odd. Plus, badge prices and Poplin rates seem to be going up so I'm worried grinding may be on the horizon.

I also got to the end credits the other day and am going through courses where I missed something. The course overview is really good in this regard but when standing next to a course that has been cleared it should show what was found in that course. 

It's very satisfying to open up secret levels and routes in this game, and I'm itching to get back to it. I just don't have the time right now.

18 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I've been trying to get some as I go from the vendor that sells guaranteed new ones. Not sure yet if I'm on course to naturally finish them by the end or not but I reckon I'm getting there and I think I still need 50 odd. Plus, badge prices and Poplin rates seem to be going up so I'm worried grinding may be on the horizon.

For what it's worth, by the time I completed every level, I had more then enough purple coins to finish my collection. But I kept buying random standees at 10 coins a pop until then. Once I had done every level, then I bought the 30 coin ones.

That said, if you are short, Yoshi and Nabbit get purple coins whenever they get items. Playing online also tends to have other players place standees on hidden blocks they've found, which tend to have a purple coin in them.

Edited by Glen-i

Credits: played.

When the first stage on the approach to Castle Bowser was a victory lap, I de-calibrated expectations accordingly. It was a fun finale nonetheless. And fun game overall.

Did the level that opens up. One (?) remaining. It threw medals at me. Bought the remaining badges to get the Poplin shop the green stamp and bought more standees. Don't think I'll finish the standees as I'd rather not turn Mario into a grind, tbh.

Now to go back and read all the spoilers in this thread!

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

But I kept buying random standees at 10 coins a pop until then. Once I had done every level, then I bought the 30 coin ones.

Early on it seemed I was getting more duplicates than it was worth with the random standee purchase so I shifted to the 30 as it seemed better value.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

if you are short

...pretty average, I'd say...

On 27/10/2023 at 7:33 PM, RedShell said:

Do you still get online ghost players during local play? I really do love that feature, it's useful but without being intrusive, not to mention incredibly entertaining at times: :grin:

Hide contents

Ha, golden shower for the princess!

On 01/11/2023 at 8:49 PM, MindFreak said:

I also got to the end credits the other day and am going through courses where I missed something. The course overview is really good in this regard but when standing next to a course that has been cleared it should show what was found in that course. 

It's very satisfying to open up secret levels and routes in this game, and I'm itching to get back to it. I just don't have the time right now.

You didn't end up soloing it, did you? I agree a visual indicator on the world map of how complete levels are would be welcome. Navigating to levels from the menu is good and handy but imo it'd be extra convenient if you directly started the level you choose rather than just being transported to it.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Ha, golden shower for the princess!

You didn't end up soloing it, did you? I agree a visual indicator on the world map of how complete levels are would be welcome. Navigating to levels from the menu is good and handy but imo it'd be extra convenient if you directly started the level you choose rather than just being transported to it.

My son played a few of the levels which I haven't even tried yet. Going through those as he did not care about secret stuff! :D

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this