NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Persona 3 Reload (2nd February 2024)

47 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Reached level 22 in Tartarus and then hit a roadblock. I was wondering if there was a point I would hit where I couldn't go any further. Clearly I need to move the story forward.

I managed to farm the Twilight Fragments needed for the clock that heals everyone. I used them only to find its a one off thing! You have to keep inserting fragments if you want to heal again. Thankfully I saved before doing this and so reloaded my save so that I didn't waste them. Guess I will use them on all the treasure chests that I skipped. 

My team is currently level 13. This will no doubt bite me in the butt when other characters join the party as they will no doubt be under levelled in comparison.

I think it's pretty good for matching character levels.

As with most Persona games I will do all I can do on the first day or two in the dungeon then spend the rest of the time before the next big story beat to work on the social links. I'm just glad the tiredness mechanic forcing you to leave the dungeon isn't around anymore from the original P3.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I think it's pretty good for matching character levels.

As with most Persona games I will do all I can do on the first day or two in the dungeon then spend the rest of the time before the next big story beat to work on the social links. I'm just glad the tiredness mechanic forcing you to leave the dungeon isn't around anymore from the original P3.

Yeah, that's how I played Persona 4 and 5 as well.

What was the tiredness mechanic? Could you only stay in a dungeon for so long?

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, that's how I played Persona 4 and 5 as well.

What was the tiredness mechanic? Could you only stay in a dungeon for so long?

Yeah you'd get a warning part way through the dungeon floor that your characters were starting to get tired. There still seem to be aspects of it left over, when you talk to Mitsuru you can check everyone's status and it used to tell you that some characters were still recovering. They removed it in Persona 3 Portable but I was worried they'd bring it back to make the game more like the original.

• Thanks 1

Man, money is tight in the game. I mean, I spent ages grinding and I'm still short when it comes to buying the best equipment. I went with buying the best weapons first. Figured enemies can't damage me if they are dead. :D

I've opened up the requests for Elizabeth. These look like a nice little addition for when I'm in the dungeon. I've already completed some of them due to all the enemies I defeated in my last visit to the Tartarus. Speaking of, the blocked off area has now been sorted and so I'll be heading back in there. Think I'll start from level 1 again and work my way up from there.

It's hilarious, I spent a lot of time farming just 7 of those Twilight Fragments and now I've got 39 sat in my inventory. I didn't realise you can find them around town or that Elizabeth gives some to you. Doh!

I've reached the next blocking point in Tartarus. Wasn't a fan of that second area, mainly due to the layout. I preferred the less imaginative, but far easier to navigate, first area. Team is currently level 20 and even though I could leave now, I'm tempted to start from floor 1 and go all the way through it again. It's not so much about wanting exp but more about making sure I have enough cash for any new equipment that is for sale.

I made most of my money working jobs in the evenings. The coffee place on certain nights when it's busier is a good one.

• Thanks 1

In the current area I'm in I tend to get 2,000+ if I get Shuffle Time and the money bonus. Once I reach 100k (on 75k) I'll leave and move on with the story.

When does the story actually kick in? Characters are great but the overall plot hasn't moved forward at all and I'm now in June. Although 4 had a much slower start, it did have the intrigue going for it. 

I think it does take a bit longer than 4 and 5. It's generally thought of as the best story of the 3 but it's a slower start, taking quite a while to setup the mystery of the dark hour.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think it does take a bit longer than 4 and 5. It's generally thought of as the best story of the 3 but it's a slower start, taking quite a while to setup the mystery of the dark hour.

Cheers.

Obviously I'm not dropping it. Just curious to know when things kick up a notch.

Things picked up a bit...

Spoiler

Went into Tartarus and rescued Fuuka. Love the scenes when they put the gun to their heads, whisper "Persona" and then have their power awakened.

Boss fight was pretty cool as well. I was lucky enough to have a bunch of Persona on me to cover their constant changing weaknesses. 

Think I'll call it there. Been on it the best part of the day. :D

I've been playing Eternights which is a Persona "inspired" game. Probably should have just carried on with P3R but the 10-15 hour estimate for Eternights was a plus as I fancied a quicker game. It's very basic Persona and the combat can get annoying but it's fun enough.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I've been playing Eternights which is a Persona "inspired" game. Probably should have just carried on with P3R but the 10-15 hour estimate for Eternights was a plus as I fancied a quicker game. It's very basic Persona and the combat can get annoying but it's fun enough.

I've been eyeing that for a while now. Pretty reasonably priced as well.

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've been eyeing that for a while now. Pretty reasonably priced as well.

Yeah I got it on sale on Steam

I'm currently working my way through Tartarus again and I'm not sure what I think of the whole scouting mechanic. It's nice to get some items from it but I hate that some of the map is filled in for me. I like to uncover it in my own methodical way. :D

Okay, this got a laugh out of me.

Spoiler

GKGO-n0XcAAIh-0?format=jpg&name=large

The boss in here was the first to give me some issues. It kept casting charm on a couple of characters and then they would attack my team. Still, I got the win and took down another shadow.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

GKGgNlvWwAAXavC?format=jpg&name=large

:D

Honestly, Junpei has had me howling during the whole beach scenario. The operation to pick up girls was hilarious.

Spoiler

Figured that Yukari's dad had something to do with the shadow incident 10 years ago. When she was reading his letter it was pretty obvious that he worked on creating the Dark Hour/Tartarus.

Mitsuru was a bit of a heartless bitch for hiding all of this info.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Back from work and so it's time to go...

backtoschool-billymadison.gif

I love that movie :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My team now consists of a..

Spoiler

Robot, kid and a dog :wtf:

Considering I just got the trophy for using everyone's special moves, I guess I now have a full squad.

Currently in the month of September and just past the floor 100 mark in Tartarus. Story is still lacking for my liking. A few new Big Bads have shown up but the overall plot hasn't moved forward that much.

Speaking of Persona, I found this rare piece on ebay earlier today.

LINK

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Finished the game in the early hours of this morning.

GKivpb0WsAAuA1-?format=jpg&name=large

Having now played the modern trilogy, I think this is my second favourite, maybe a tie with Golden at a push. That's not to say its a bad game. I loved my time with it, its just that I think 5 is absolutely amazing and this one certainly doesn't reach the highs of that entry.

When I play a JRPG I'm usually there for the characters and story. The characters in this game great and I loved pretty much all of them but the story takes far too long to get going. When the narrative does start to pick up, it has pacing issues, with long periods going by where nothing is moving forward. Persona 4 Golden had this same issue as well. The repeatative loop of doing a dungeon every month is fine if you have a narrative carrot dangled in front of you but that doesn't happen enough in both of these games but it's something that was fixed in Persona 5.

I think part of this issue is a me problem though. As I said, I'm here for the main narrative and in JRPGs most of the sidequest activities don't interest me at all. A lot of the time I find them to be all filler and no killer. The Social Link aspect of these games are a huge part of them but most of them I don't really care for. You do get a few good stories out of them, the dying man (Sun Persona) being one of them, but most are just schoolyard nonsense. I guess it's probably an age thing. I'm pushing 42 and I just don't care for the teeny bopper side of things. Had I still been in my youth then I no doubt would have been more invested in these things.

When the main story was firing on all cylinders it was a fantastic ride.

Spoiler

The link between Ken and Shinjiro and his following death was quite shocking and quite the gut punch. I liked his character arc and it was so sad to see him gunned down. Even more so when you find out that he was going to turn his life around and enrol back into school.

I also enjoyed the Junpei story arc that involved Chidori. Again, quite upsetting to see how things played out. Although this was later cheapened when she was brought back to life. I guess they wanted a happy ending for him?

The ending itself was a bit of a shocker. Epic anime type stuff, especially when the common trope came into play...

GKi4_BMWUAAHDyH?format=jpg&name=large

...but again, I was shocked when the MC died at the end! It was a lovely scene, as he lay there on the bench waiting for his friends to arrive but also quite upsetting.

I quite liked the inclusion of Strega. It was a nice twist having to take on other Persona users. Granted, they were nut jobs but it added another story element to the game.

This is one of those games I'm very happy to have played. Having not got into the series until the 5th entry (played 4 when it was out on PS2 but it wasn't until after 5 that I eventually finished Golden on the Vita), it's great to go back and play through one of the fan favourite entries of the series.

That's another JRPG down out of the early heavy hitters of this year. It was certainly more enjoyable than FFVII: Rebirth but I have a feeling that once I get around to Like a Dragon and Granblue Fantasy (still waiting for this to drop) that one of these will take the crown. 

• Like 2

I think my order for the Persona games would go 4, 5 then 3. The murder mystery aspect of 4 along with the characters just really struck a chord with me.

Did you remember any of the links between 4 and 3 when you were playing this? Like how in 4 you visit Gekkoukan High, meet some of the teachers along with Chihiro and visit the night club.

28 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Did you remember any of the links between 4 and 3 when you were playing this? Like how in 4 you visit Gekkoukan High, meet some of the teachers along with Chihiro and visit the night club.

Not at all. :D I didn't even realise they were linked!

42 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not at all. :D I didn't even realise they were linked!

Yeah I think it started a trend of having links between the games. 5's is that you can see Rise posters around Tokyo.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this