NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection (Vol. 1 - 24th October 2023)

On 5/25/2023 at 4:08 PM, Julius said:

I'm curious to see if they do have Mantis reading your "memory card" this time, too, considering that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and (hopefully) Suikoden will both be out on modern consoles by then, but given this is Konami, I could see them giving it a complete pass. I think I remember reading something about the PC version skipping that dialogue? ::shrug:

Well here's the answer to that question! You'll be able to create save data for any PS1 Konami titles not released on modern platforms to recreate the memory part of the Psycho Mantis battle. 

Kind of blown away by some of the extra flourishes Konami are adding to this collection, got to give credit where credit is due!

Also, it's been a long minute since I've booted up a PS1, so I might be off here, but the memory card editing screen being 3x5 is a recreation of the PS1 memory card screen, right? If so, that's really neat! :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

All those nice touches, yet they can’t be bothered to ensure that the games don’t run like arse on Switch :blank:

On 22/08/2023 at 3:04 PM, Dcubed said:

1080p on PS5/Series X is still crap, just less crap than the Switch version.

Nope.  Turns out that Konami lied.  Now that the game is out, turns out that it runs in 720p on all platforms, with a low quality bilinear upscale to 1080p (and that’s before the TV/console/PC upscales it again to 4k).  So it actually looks worse than the original HD Collection release.

#Fuckonami

• Haha 1

I'm looking forward to getting this sometime. The Switch has been excellent for providing the opportunity to give all kinds of non-Nintendo games a go. 

Posted (edited)

The 'Production Line' video below has apparently detailed some upcoming updates and plans for the Collection:

0c40e4d27b1bceb27a28502086b73258.png

Should've launched in a better state, of course, but kudos to them for plugging away at sorting the issues post-launch. 

From the summary I read (the video is in Japanese) it sounds like they teased an upcoming, larger scale event with a focus on new projects.

Volume 2, perhaps? 

Edited by Julius

Posted (edited)

How very Konami to release an "Our Game Sucks" stream.

Not exactly very confidence inspiring when they aren't comitting to enabling higher resolution rendering or 60FPS on Switch though... you know, the two most obvious glaring issues with the port...

The whole thing smacks of what happened with the Zone of The Enders HD Remaster Collection released for the PS360 back in the day...

Edited by Dcubed

I recently played through MGS on this collection and had a great time.

GJDQwfGXkAEHJA6?format=jpg&name=large

Game is timeless. Its one of those that I never get tired of playing. What I liked about the version in this collection is that they didn't alter the graphics much. I love the jaggies from that era and appreciated that they didn't smooth them out like so many emulators do.

I've got one trophy left to do that will be a grind as it requires to complete all 300 VR missions. Not in a hurry to do it though as I wanna make it platinum 725.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

platinum 725.

groom-is-mesmerized-blank-stare-ofgrk2j7rcxsjjb9.gif

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I recently played through MGS on this collection and had a great time.

GJDQwfGXkAEHJA6?format=jpg&name=large

Game is timeless. Its one of those that I never get tired of playing. What I liked about the version in this collection is that they didn't alter the graphics much. I love the jaggies from that era and appreciated that they didn't smooth them out like so many emulators do.

I've got one trophy left to do that will be a grind as it requires to complete all 300 VR missions. Not in a hurry to do it though as I wanna make it platinum 725.

Definitely one of the greats 😃

I played through it on Switch recently too (after clearing Sons of Liberty) and it's obviously still a hell of a game but I came away feeling like it's probably not the best way to play the game, despite how glad I am own MGS 1-3 on Switch!

As much hate as there seems to be around The Twin Snakes, I'd have loved for it to be here too 🥲

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

Definitely one of the greats 😃

I played through it on Switch recently too (after clearing Sons of Liberty) and it's obviously still a hell of a game but I came away feeling like it's probably not the best way to play the game, despite how glad I am own MGS 1-3 on Switch!

Do you mean playing it on a handheld?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do you mean playing it on a handheld?

I'd say more in terms of the lack of any desire from Konami to clean it up a little (I too appreciate the PS1 visuals but it would have been nice if it was all a little crisper, especially when stretched out over a modern display) and also I felt my controls were ever so slightly behind the action. Perhaps this was having come from Metal Gear Solid 2 first but there was a noticeable delay with the original!

The other thing would be that I hoped to showcase Psycho Mantis using the power of his mind to my son but the Joy-Con + Grip combination didn't move across my coffee table at all 😅

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1

Today I started setting about tackling all 300 VR missions and have made decent progress.

GJstvCxXEAAxrve?format=jpg&name=medium

These are incredibly fun. I never played Special Missions back on the PS1 and so this is a new experience for me. There's a lot of trial and error involved and you can deviate from what the game wants you to do and think outside the (just a) box. The time trials can be a little tight at times but with a little practice and memorisation they can be beaten after a few attempts.

I've finished all the weapon challenges, both standard and advanced, and so there's just the stealth and special missions left to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Success!

GJxVGoyWsAYqzjM?format=jpg&name=large

GJxVGo3WsAcCLZ2?format=jpg&name=large

There's a cracking amount of variety in these missions and I had a blast playing through them all. There were certainly crazy Konami antics in some of them. One had me taking on a giant UFO with stinger missiles and another had me fending of 2 giant soldiers who were stomping through the city trying to kidnap Meryl. :D

I also unlocked and had to play through stages where you could use Ninja/Grey Fox. Amazing. Granted, there were only 3 stages to play as him but it was so much fun slicing and dicing my way through enemies. His movements are so different when compared to Snake.

Yeah, very happy to have finally played through Special Missions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this