NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Pikmin 4

30 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Japanese Download Cards have been spotted, and there's some interesting tidbits that have been gleamed from them...

The word you're looking for is gleaned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Played a bit of the demo although getting pretty bored of the constant stop start with the dialog and being unable to make it go faster. I'll get back to it at some point. 

• Thanks 1

Played a bit of the demo although getting pretty bored of the constant stop start with the dialog and being unable to make it go faster. I'll get back to it at some point. 
Sounds like a standard Nintendo game.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:52 AM, Ashley said:

Yea, I really didn’t like the constant stopping and starting to tell you basic things. I don’t see the point in making a player go through several lines of text, then giving the player control to then almost immediately taking control away again to give you even more lines of text to read through. Especially when most of the information the characters give you is pretty obvious stuff. I think most players could probably work these things out for themselves just by playing the game. I feel that it doesn’t leave a good impression to anyone new to the series who was trying out the demo. 

All that said, I think this might be the best pikmin game they’ve ever made lol. The demo is pretty long if you do everything and I was having a blast all the way through, I love everything they’ve done (apart from what I mentioned above) and to me it feels like the perfect sequel that takes the best parts from all the previous games and adds some decent new features.

I’ve always a fan of the series and I had intended to buy this at some point but not at launch because I played through pikmin 3 deluxe a month ago as it felt it’s too soon to play through another pikmin game but I’ve walked away from the demo preordering it. 

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I feel that it doesn’t leave a good impression to anyone new to the series who was trying out the demo. 

I do wonder if new people would find it useful. I felt like they could do with a "I've played Pikmin before" option to show you how Oatchi works and then leave the rest to yourself. 

Even just being able to skip text but you've got to wait and often the dialogue is split in two so you see the first bit, press a button to see the second bit, there's a pause then you can continue. 

But yeah the game itself is really fun. There's something so enjoyable about the core loop and once I finally had a little army I had fun running around with them. Not finished the demo but near the end. 

I think I might end up getting it too. I really enjoyed the original 2 but never got 3. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Nintendo have an ‘Ask the developer’ interview with Miyamoto and other members of the dev team up on the website:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2023/July/Ask-the-Developer-Vol-10-Pikmin-4-Chapter-1-2416028.html

Excellent interview! Here's part 2 (Part 3 comes out tomorrow)...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2023/July/Ask-the-Developer-Vol-10-Pikmin-4-Chapter-2-2416062.html#section-02

Note that there's a mild spoiler about what Pikmin types show up in Pikmin 4 here in Part 2, but that's it as far as spoilers go.

Seems that Miyamoto himself was quite involved in Pikmin 4's development... he has a lot to say here, particularily about game design in general! :D Everyone else involved in this interview has also worked on the series since Pikmin 2 at the least, so it seems that a lot of Nintendo's old guard have been focusing on this game in particular over the past few years!

It's really refreshing to see a modern Nintendo title focus so much on handcrafted game design that is laser focused on providing a very traditional style of "Nintendo-like" gameplay; focused on game design and mechanics ahead of anything else (the polar opposite of Nintendo Switch Sports' disastrous development cycle).  Also, surprisingly, it seems that the team are still very much focused on Pikmin 1's gameplay structure over Pikmin 2's here; despite Pikmin 4's gameplay structure being based moreso on Pikmin 2 than anything else.

These interviews do a great job of getting me hyped for Pikmin 4.  Feels like we're getting a real, proper proper traditional "Nintendo-like" game here :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Played the demo last night and picked this up the next day. Was never really into Pikmin on the Gamecube because of the heavy time constraints but this seems a lot more relaxed.

What i've palyed so far is actually really fun. Just have red, yellow and ice pikmin for now. Still haven't seen blue, purple, white ect.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, martinist said:

because of the heavy time constraints but this seems a lot more relaxed.

I feel why this is why I like this more than the others too. Whilst there is the day time limits they seem to allow you to do loads anyway, I've 100% 4 areas now and am enjoying the game.

• Like 1

I wish they didn't make you go back to the base after every day, or at the very least wish it loaded quicker. I find it really ruins the flow of the gameplay, I just wanna play the next day damnit! 

• Thanks 2

I think I’m finding this a lot easier than the previous games too. I’ve now 100% another area and only had to use the help thing on one Dandori challenge which I just couldn’t seem to do after three goes. I’ve even managed to get full items on one of them on my first go too. Currently taking on some night missions as I have a hoard of Leaflings lying on the ground at base 😆 I’m enjoying those too. Spend a minute grabbing as many pieces to increase glow Pikmin, assign Oachie to a base then just attack the monsters. 

• Like 1

Did anyone else pick this up? 

I've just finished what I would guess would be the second of the end game parts. Spoilers for what I mean.

Spoiler

So of course there is the main first part to get to Olimar and save him. But then you find out that Oachi can't go back cause his tail is transforming like the leaflings. So the next part of to save him, that entails saving the scientist and has what I would call the main boss fight. Good fight too.

However then you have the task of saving all the leaflings by doing all the night exhibitions. This will effectively give you all you need to get all treasures, onions, and rescues. In effect 100%. But then there's Olimars story which is kinda a shorter version of the main game and recalls Olimar landing on the planet and you having to get all his ship parts within 15 days. There's 30 to get. I really struggled to start with and think I only had a few parts after day 3. carried on but got to day 12 and still needed 9 parts. Never thought I'd do it. But somehow I had a great day and grabbed a few parts, allowing me access to the final area, and the remaining 2 Flarlic which got my squad to 100. So I just needed 7 parts in 3 days from the final area. I thought that was doable so just set out to get 2, 3 then 3. I got 2, then 4 the next day leaving me a whole day to get the last part.

So get that done and then a new cave appears on the landing site map! its a Dandori gauntlet type thing. Tried the first level and man it's tough. (or I'm just not great). It involves killing a number of enemies within the time limit. This first level is Bulborbs, normal, black, and a fire and ice one. You start with 10 red Pikmin and I think there are another 20 on the level along with some ice Pikmin to pluck. Seems simple but damn it's tough.

So anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed the game, and full try that last bit. but I don't hold much hope for now. Have to say it starts out simple, only having a small number of pikmin in your squad until you get Flarlic makes it seem harder at first. But by then end of it when you are commanding 100 and Oachi is fully upgraded you feel like you are unstoppable. Oachi can take out some of the smaller enemies in one bite. Great game and I\m glad I went for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've got it, but I haven't started playing it yet.

Kinda tempted to just wait it out until Switch 2 comes out at this point, where it'll probably look and run much better.

I have it, and really enjoying it. I think it might be one of my favorite Switch games, but I've been a little busy and taking a long time to play through it. I got 100% on the second area about a week ago and only started the third area today

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this