NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Your changes to the Revolution Controller

We have seen the console. We have seen the controller. I admit, both are still subject to various changes. But, at this specific moment in time, is there anything you would change for either the console or controller?

If there was one thing i would change about the controller, it would be the button layout.

EdX2WT4zfrPiOI_RoY3JWEMfpGJXu5MG.jpg

Apologies for the picture. If i find a better one, i'll add that instead.

Personally, i find the gap between a, b and the home button to be a bit too big. I would move the buttons up so that they were closer.

Either that, or i would swap the a and b button over with home, select and start. So that it would be easier to touch these buttons. I think they need to be made quite a bit bigger as well.

Your thoughts?

I dont think anyone can comment on what they would change until they've tried it really, Nintendo have obviously made the controller like that for a good reason so until I hold it myself I can't really say what should be changed.

I dont think anyone can comment on what they would change until they've tried it really, Nintendo have obviously made the controller like that for a good reason so until I hold it myself I can't really say what should be changed.

On one level, you are right. Until we finally hold the controller for ourselves, then we won't truely know what we will or won't like. But, i'm talking about just little suggestions here. Things like more buttons, bigger buttons, moving the d-pad.

I'm just interested to see what ideas people have. If you could change something, what would it be?

I would give the motion abilities of the wandlike controller to the nun chuck portion of the controller. I think alot more interaction with games can be acheived if both halves of the controller can be detected through motion instead of just one. The nun-chuck part should be a secondary motion. The wand does all the real actions but when a charater has to do things with two hands like fly a future space ship with two handles it would be cool to hold up the two parts and control the flying and shooting and whatever else. You can basically do about 50 things at once with this setup.

Add a gun into it so when some MS or Sony fan boy starts making fun of you while playing the Revo you can shoot him or something

I hope the addons become wireless... only problem is (as i've found out with my XBOX360 wireless pad). Rumble + 2.4ghz wireless + headset = battery life drains veeeeeeerry fast.

I'd like the remote to make a light bow. It would look a bit like a banana then but I think it would be more comfortable to hold.

I think that the nun-chuck add on could do with a remodel. I'm sure that functionally it's ok but the seem (sp?) that runs around the edge makes it look like a cheaply made toy!

It all looks glossy and futuristic, but im not sure about the small a and b button placement. I need to try it for myself.

As for the Classic Style Shell Expansion. I hope that the controller is completely symmetrical this time. Remember the GC controller had the Z button on one side and no other shoulder button to match it. This could be fixed. Also I hope the buttons look good and are pressure sensitve.

First I would add another trigger in the remote, I know it may be a little confusiong, but it would be very useful. And maybe another button near the A button, I think that would solve all the button problems. That's about it.

i'm sure i read somewhere that it is easy to reach the bottom buttons a + b (or maybe they will turn out to be x + y)

i wouldn't change a thing. because of the massive improvement they have made on it from the cube. imaging what they could do with the console after the rev. WOW the possibilities.

The a/b buttons are there so you can turn the the controller sideways and play NES games, if you moved them up it would be a long reach with your right thumb. Considering 'tendo's desire to simplify, those buttons probably wont get much use in new games anyway.

I hope the addons become wireless... only problem is (as i've found out with my XBOX360 wireless pad). Rumble + 2.4ghz wireless + headset = battery life drains veeeeeeerry fast.

That's why they should have a charge dock you can just sit it in when not using it :)

No more buttons please, that will make it very confusing. Furthermore, I don't think that the A and B button are on the right spot, you'll only use them while playing NES or SNES games, right? (Edit: That's what someone else said, a few posts above.)

That's why they should have a charge dock you can just sit it in when not using it :)

that is exactly what i want. a charger for the controller. :bowdown:

that is exactly what i want. a charger for the controller. :bowdown:

well the rev already has a dock/stand... so a smaller version of that maybe?

High quality rubber technology on the bottom that absorbs sweat would be nice.

Generally it looks like it is of nice construction, I would like it to be evenly weighted.. that's what you expect from a controller and I'd like it to be made from a quality plastic. Which it appears to be so.

I doubt they will implement a sweat mop into it like the xbox 360 has.. kinda rubbery on the bottom which is easy to wipe unlike plastic.

The controller uses AA batteries, i'm assuming it will be energy efficient perhaps not using the vibration thing much, you can go down poundland and buy about 20 generic batteries for £1, probably last you for months.

The charging dock is a product of the iPod generation, you don't need it to charge it, it just makes it look good. So they slap a £20 price tag on it.

The controller is much smaller than you would think, I doubt you're going to be using those A/B buttons anyway, you cant reach them properly. You'll only use them for Retro games when you turn the controller on its side.

High quality rubber technology on the bottom that absorbs sweat would be nice.

It does have a rubbery bottom, but I doubt it will absorp sweat :heh:

I'm sure that functionally it's ok but the seem (sp?) that runs around the edge makes it look like a cheaply made toy! (nunchuck)

If you cut up your wavebird and only use the left hand joystick you have yourself the nunchuck, apart from there aren't enough shoulder buttons.

I dont know if I would change much. But I think I might include the shell with the Revolution, so that people could play Cube games too.

I think it could do with a button like the X on the Cube next to the A button. I feel the controller might be running short on buttons otherwise. It was my first thought when seeing it - it's not going to have enough buttons.

I think it could do with a button like the X on the Cube next to the A button. I feel the controller might be running short on buttons otherwise. It was my first thought when seeing it - it's not going to have enough buttons.

Not true, you can do the following.

A alone.

B alone.

A and B together.

hold A then tap B

hold B then tap A

this is not mentioning the fact that you can tilt the controller in free space while doing all of this.

Say you make mario jump pressing B. then tilt the controller back, then press A perhaps it will let mario climb up a ledge that's a bit too high for him to jump.

Perhaps you tilt forward and press A and mario will run faster.

It is the developpers job to make it happen not ours, gaming will be as easy and as fluid as the 'habit' we have of coming home and flicking through TV channels.

this is not mentioning the nunchucka controller with the shoulder buttons and analog stick which will ultimately make a radical FPS experience.

So why is there a Y button on the Cube when you can just hold X and A together?

I understand that this layout will be enough for the majority of the games - but for some games one thumb button might be too little. It'll be a shame that games will have to be played with the shell because of that.

Like moria has said...the controller is smaller than what you guys are thinking.

Saw the measurements and an object the same size and revolution...quite small...

Sign in to follow this