NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition (Out Now!)

Just listened to the new tracks and... yeah, the original was already perfect. The new ones come off as "alternate" takes, like from another timeline... Fitting?

For now, I prefer the original ones. They sound like they work better as functional game music. But also, there's a "warmth" to them that I didn't hear in the new ones, if that makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, Chrono Cross's soundtrack was already amazing and one of my all time favourites. The odds were always stacked against them when it comes to coming up with new versions of songs.

• Thanks 1

Physical Switch version is coming to Asia with English support:

Imagine it'll end up being a bit of a Dragon Quest trilogy situation where it isn't made available physically in other regions and is kept in Asia. Curious to see if it ends up with a physical release on any of the other platforms it's coming to. 

• Thanks 1

Original soundtrack not included.

Square Enix has issued an update to its original reveal of Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition. Previously, an official article on the soon-to-release remaster stated that players will be able to switch between the original PS1 soundtrack and a rearranged set of music created specifically for the revival. Unfortunately this was, somehow, an error.

Square Enix has corrected the mistake, and is now saying that The Radical Dreamers Edition does not feature the original soundtrack. Hopefully the rearranged score is good, because you're going to be stuck with it.

My interest in the game has now dropped a little.

• Sad 2
  • Weird 1
  • Angry 1

WHAT!? That's absolutely outrageous! I don't believe this!

If I wasn't buying this for Radical Dreamers with Chrono Cross being a bonus, there is no way I would be buying this!

They HAVE to patch in the original OST, this is ridiculous!

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

First time the game's officially coming to Europe and it's with what some people think is a borked take on - from what I've heard - is still an awesome OST which, at best, probably just needed a little cleanup? 

bold-strategy-dodgeball.gif

Square Enix is Monkey's Paw: The Video Game Company at this point. Their decision making is absolutely astonishing for their back catalogue and how it's so inconsistently handled. 

They fixed Chrono Trigger on Steam after a while, so I guess I'll just wait to see how this all plays out :nono:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Come on, man. Having options for original or arranged soundtracks is standard remaster fare at this point!

You bother to include an option for original font, but not music!? Priorities!

• Thanks 1

WHAT!? That's absolutely outrageous! I don't believe this!
If I wasn't buying this for Radical Dreamers with Chrono Cross being a bonus, there is no way I would be buying this!
They HAVE to patch in the original OST, this is ridiculous!

They never included the original OST for Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster either, so not exactly a given that they would be including it.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

They never included the original OST for Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster either, so not exactly a given that they would be including it.

Only on the original PS3 release; every subsequent version includes the choice of the original or arranged soundtracks.

Only on the original PS3 release; every subsequent version includes the choice of the original or arranged soundtracks.

Not true, the Vita version didn't have it either.
  • Thanks 1

I can pop in FF X on Switch and check if either of you know where the music swap option would be found?

Tbh I can't think of any S-E games I have on Switch that have dual soundtracks. Perhaps SaGa Frontier? It's honestly not something I've gone looking for. Is it hidden somewhere in the DQ NES trilogy? ::shrug: 

15 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently, this is all just a misunderstanding as the music will be the same as the original, just higher quality, cleaned up, upscaled. Square-Enix calls this "refined".

This is the update:

UPDATE: This article originally incorrectly stated that users can switch between the original and remastered soundtracks. Please note that this was in error and only the refined music can be played.

From further down the page:

Newly refined music by Yasunori Mitsuda

The acclaimed composer of the original CHRONO CROSS is also back with a new track, and most of the music has been refined, meaning the sound quality has been improved!

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/chrono-cross-the-radical-dreamers-edition

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Not true, the Vita version didn't have it either.

Huh? I thought it was an optional download? (Or maybe I’m thinking of the extra download for FF10-2?).

That case is understandable though, because of Vita cartridge storage limitations.  But yeah, every subsequent release has the option; and it’s basically a standard feature in all modern remasters that also feature arranged soundtracks now.

Huh? I thought it was an optional download? (Or maybe I’m thinking of the extra download for FF10-2?).
That case is understandable though, because of Vita cartridge storage limitations.  But yeah, every subsequent release has the option; and it’s basically a standard feature in all modern remasters that also feature arranged soundtracks now.
Yeah, the Vita version came with FFX on cartridge, which didn't have the original OST on it. I'm sure they could have managed it if they wanted to. Either way, PS3 wasn't the only version that didn't have it. So I wouldn't say it's the standard for S-E to include it on the first release.

Just got the April newsletter in my inbox. First thing I noticed is CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMS EDITION is in caps. Calm down S-E. :laughing: I clicked through the link to see if the music gets a mention and I wasn't left wanting.

New Features in the Remastered Edition

• 3D models converted to HD
  • Refined character illustrations
  • Higher-quality background music
  • Switch enemy encounters on or off
  • Background filter feature
  • Battle enhancement features to make combat easier
  • Auto-battle function
  • Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font
  • Change screen resolution

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/CHRONO-CROSS-THE-RADICAL-DREAMERS-EDITION-2170786.html

Reckon the bullet point would be "All new music!", especially this close to release, if that was indeed the case so I think it's safe to say the tunes are souped-up but unchanged... at least until we are told any different when people actually get around to playing the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Reckon the bullet point would be "All new music!", especially this close to release, if that was indeed the case so I think it's safe to say the tunes are souped-up but unchanged... at least until we are told any different when people actually get around to playing the game.

Man, the messaging around the game's music has been absolutely atrocious. It's worth noting that it seems like the phrasing in the description for the game around the music has been updated, so I think we're all rightfully very confused :laughing:

Square Enix themselves released a video just over a week ago with new and newly arranged tracks for this specific version of the game (from the last page): 

On 24/03/2022 at 2:23 PM, Julius said:

Square Enix have released a trailer for the game's new and arranged songs:

There's no reason to think that these wouldn't be in the game, I think the video description itself is very easily interpreted as these new tracks and arrangements being in the game:

Introducing the new and arranged songs from CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION! 

Then there's what @Hero-of-Time posted the other day. 

And then there's this, which does make it sound like the soundtrack is the same - just cleaned up - and that the tracks in the above video aren't even included during the gameplay of the remaster:

Further yet, someone on Resetera says that this is actually a bit loosely translated and is actually more detailed than the tweet would have you believe:

I don't think that tweet/translation is quite accurate...

Mitsuda is asked if the BGM used in Chrono Cross: Radical Dreamers Edition will be from the Revival, and if there will be new tracks.

Mitsuda replies that they didn't use the Revival. They've touched the original BGM up a bit (noise reduction, etc), and haven't changed the opening and ending tracks at all (as Mitsuda is entirely satisfied with those). On top of that, there will be eight new tracks: seven of those are arranged versions that won't be used in actual gameplay [not sure what's left, there... some kind of sound test menu, perhaps?], and the last one is entirely new.

So it looks like that video was about those eight new tracks he mentioned at the end.

So I guess I'm now cautiously optimistic that Square Enix have pretty amazingly messed up their messaging here and we are actually just getting the original OST remastered, with some extra stuff to listen to outside of the game or something, but it's amazing that this confusion has even come about in the first place. 

All they had to say was "this game comes with a remastered soundtrack based on the recordings for the original game and..." - I imagine somewhere in the game, maybe from the menu with a music collection or something along those lines? - "...there are a number of new songs and arrangements we've included for fans to listen to separately to this. Please be excited." 

Swear some of these companies are playing on hard mode ::shrug:

Edited by Julius

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Swear some of these companies are playing on hard mode ::shrug:

You'll see further down the list an easy mode battle enhancement has been added. :laughing: 

Anyway, S-E put an update on their page regarding the refined music. Like, it's hardly their fault t'Internet is ready to get het up about these details instead of--shock horror!--seeking clarification. Think it's best to refer to the S-E and Nintendo pages for the most accurate info. Even if it is only a short sentence or bullet point.

So... what've the Japanese fans got to say about this whole debacle? Oh, they haven't been jumping to conclusions since they aren't going off iffy translations... ::shrug: 

6 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

You'll see further down the list an easy mode battle enhancement has been added. :laughing: 

Anyway, S-E put an update on their page regarding the refined music. Like, it's hardly their fault t'Internet is ready to get het up about these details instead of--shock horror!--seeking clarification. Think it's best to refer to the S-E and Nintendo pages for the most accurate info. Even if it is only a short sentence or bullet point.

So... what've the Japanese fans got to say about this whole debacle? Oh, they haven't been jumping to conclusions since they aren't going off iffy translations... ::shrug: 

Thing is, we live in a global market now and as such these companies should be speaking to their global fanbase and not just the one in their home territories, especially when the game is releasing in the same week. If the Eastern branch of S-E are dishing out information then so should the Western branch. I mean, S-E just done a promo with Famitsu and they showed gameplay for 20 minutes or so. Where's the Western equivalent at? Why not just do a stream for a worldwide audience.

For better or worse this is how the world works now and if a company isn't clear with it's messaging it will be jumped on in an instant. This is why it's so important to get these things right from the get go.

So.....is anyone actually buying the game next week?

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You see, I've tried playing Chrono Cross and it has one of the most convoluted and baffling battle systems I've seen in an RPG. No idea what I was doing.

But, I wanna give it another chance. (Plus, localised Radical Dreamers is legit cool) But not full price chance, so I'll likely wait for a sale before jumping.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You see, I've tried playing Chrono Cross and it has one of the most convoluted and baffling battle systems I've seen in an RPG. No idea what I was doing.

Yeah, this is what worries me. I've watched a few vids and it doesn't look straight forward at all. I'm also not a fan of huge character lists in JRPGs. It has everything going against it but I still fancy giving it a go. Given the little bits I know about the game, I imagine the trophy list will be a pain in the backside and so if I do end up buying it I think it will be on the Switch.

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thing is, we live in a global market now and as such these companies should be speaking to their global fanbase and not just the one in their home territories, especially when the game is releasing in the same week. If the Eastern branch of S-E are dishing out information then so should the Western branch. I mean, S-E just done a promo with Famitsu and they showed gameplay for 20 minutes or so. Where's the Western equivalent at? Why not just do a stream for a worldwide audience.

For better or worse this is how the world works now and if a company isn't clear with it's messaging it will be jumped on in an instant. This is why it's so important to get these things right from the get go.

Do western game developers and publishers put out all their info simultaneously in various languages? I'm not so sure. S-E and Nintendo have fact pages for this game in English that we can refer to. Personally, I'm okay with that and not having every single tweet put out in multiple languages but maybe that's just me. 

So if there was 20 mins of gameplay why did no one check it out (or post it here!) to see if the music is new tracks? 

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If there was a cart version I'd have it ordered. If I knew 100% there is never going to be a cart I'd have the eShop edition pre-loaded. I've still got a bitter, bitter taste in my mouth from Game Builder Garage which came out on cart three or four months later, so dunno whether to stick or twist with this one.

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Do western game developers and publishers put out all their info simultaneously in various languages? I'm not so sure.

Don't think so. All of them are guilty of it and they can't really complain when misinformation starts to spread.

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

If there was a cart version I'd have it ordered. 

Just get the Asian version which is in English. As for a proper release, it's hard to say. Final Fantasy VII/VIII got one but other S-E remasters didn't I think generally it's an Asian release or none at all.

4 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

So if there was 20 mins of gameplay why did no one check it out (or post it here!) to see if the music is new tracks? 

Seeing as I have no point of reference it would have been useless for me to watch it. :D However, someone on Era said the music is the same as the original. At least for the footage that was shown. Framerate seems to be rough though.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

But like I said before, I don't believe that that line was on the Square Enix and Nintendo sites before, and even if it was, it's a single bullet point which says "higher quality background music" -- that's about as nebulous as you can get when talking about a soundtrack for a remastered game, surely? The potential permutations of a one-liner like "higher quality background music" can be interpreted as being anything from a remaster of the original audio, to a fully rearranged soundtrack, to a re-orchestrated version of the soundtrack (for example, if the audio quality of the original wasn't up to snuff and they re-recorded the entire thing). 

And, again: the only real promotion of the game's OST is the video from before which just says "new tracks and new arrangements from Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition!" in the description (they specify these are new tracks and arrangements for the remaster specifically!)

I also don't think you can blame anyone for thinking that we were getting a botched version of the game considering Square Enix's recent history with ports, remasters and remakes being all over the place. Chrono Trigger was a mess on PC at launch, and still is only available on PC and mobile currently; Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters have botched fonts and text sizes, not to mention that they're only available on PC and mobile currently (and don't get me started on the versions we had available before); Live-A-Live is getting a HD-2D remake; for some reason the platform with the most mainline Dragon Quest games right now is mobile; and Trials of Mana got a fully realised 3D remake (albeit with a AA budget at best). 

I have to agree with @Hero-of-Time, they've simply dropped the ball on being clear in the west about the state of the game and it's features (it shouldn't have been a question in the first place about the OST's state), as I feel like we've hardly seen any of it. I know it's a remaster, but it's a game which hasn't been re-released since, what, the PS3 in the US and Japan, and never came out over here in the first place? I feel like they really should be marketing this game more, especially the specifics surrounding it. As H-o-T said - and as we've even seen a few times over the last couple of weeks elsewhere in the industry - companies need to clear up their messaging and should be nailing it from the outset. 

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think I'm going to hold fire for now. 

I really want to, but I've got a couple of other JRPGs a bit higher up the priority list at the moment, and there's also part of me which wonders if there's going to be some niggling annoyance needing to be patched out in the game (such as with Final Fantasy IX's map music). 

Are you picking it up H-o-T? 

4 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

If there was a cart version I'd have it ordered. If I knew 100% there is never going to be a cart I'd have the eShop edition pre-loaded. I've still got a bitter, bitter taste in my mouth from Game Builder Garage which came out on cart three or four months later, so dunno whether to stick or twist with this one.

Just my two pence, but it might be worth just going for digital or importing the English language version from Asia from somewhere like Play-Asia if you do want a physical copy, as I don't think it'll be getting one unfortunately :( on the Switch specifically I don't think it'll get a physical cart over here in the west, as we've had a couple of remasters from Square Enix now which have only had English language physical editions available exclusively in Asia (Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII/VIII dual pack, Dragon Quest trilogy). 

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Are you picking it up H-o-T? 

We've had a couple of remasters from Square Enix now which have only had English language physical editions available exclusively in Asia (Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII/VIII dual pack, Dragon Quest trilogy). 

Doubt i'll get it straight away. Like you, i've got other games/JRPGs higher on the priority list. I'm tempted to finally fire up NEO: The World Ends With You or one of the Tales of...games i've got sat on the shelf.

This did eventually get released over here but it's the only one.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this