NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition (Out Now!)

Based on what I've heard about it, I think it's time to start looking up some guides on the battle system :D

Guessing it's digital only?

Edited by Ike
Merge powers, activate!
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

I'd love to get a cart of this and Live a Live. Hopefully there is news on it in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Merge powers, activate!

Two worlds collide... :p

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Man, I hope not. Having a game that's not come out over here stuck as digital only could be a real pain in the far-flung future. 

Hopefully it's not the case for Live A Live either! 

Want to preorder, but don't want them to release the physical 6 months later like what's happened before.

Also coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Steam from the description for the trailer on S-E's channel

CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION is available April 7th on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation® 4, Xbox One and Steam®!

Why yes, I will be purchasing Radical Dreamers in English.  Thank you very much! :D

Edited by Dcubed

The original game is a unique experience in playing with various expected JRPG beats and tropes. It also incorporates some very abstract, high-level metaphysical concepts into its story.

I have very fond memories in discussing and theorising about many aspects of this game, and I'm looking forward to rekindling those online, now with a whole new generation of gamers.

But if that sort of thing isn't your cup of tea, you'll absolutely stay for the excellent art direction and music. God, that opening theme gives me chills every time.

10 hours ago, Julius said:

Based on what I've heard about it, I think it's time to start looking up some guides on the battle system :D

The battle system feels different for the sake of different, but it's actually not that confusing to learn. The only guides you'll be needing will be to defeat two specific bosses. You'll know when you reach them.

Now that I think about it, the recruitment conditions for specific characters are also quite obscure, and they may be worth reading about after the first playthrough ("How did they ever expect me to do that!?").

Remind me, have you played Chrono Trigger before?

25 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

It also incorporates some very abstract, high-level metaphysical concepts into its story.

Let's get (meta)physical, physical

aerobics-80s.gif

Now that I think about it, the recruitment conditions for specific characters are also quite obscure, and they may be worth reading about after the first playthrough ("How did they ever expect me to do that!?").

So long as it's not the Suikoden affair of needing to collecting all of them to get a true ending, I think it should be fine :laughing:

Remind me, have you played Chrono Trigger before?

Yeah, a few times now actually! I got lucky and picked up the DS version a few years back before it's resale price more than doubled. 

Not exactly an unpopular opinion, but yeah, it's one of the greats, I hold that game in very high regard :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Julius said:

So long as it's not the Suikoden affair of needing to collecting all of them to get a true ending, I think it should be fine :laughing:

It's actually impossible to get everyone. Plenty of characters are mutually exclusive depending on choices you make throughout the game.

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's actually impossible to get everyone. Plenty of characters are mutually exclusive depending on choices you make throughout the game.

Even better, now I can blindly recruit the poorest set of characters with confidence :p

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, the character choices really don't matter much at all in terms of story.  The dialogue is basically the same for everyone with some minor tweaks to add character flavour.  It's basically a way of adding some variety to each playthrough.

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Even better, now I can blindly recruit the poorest set of characters with confidence :p

That's how I recruited people for the site

• Haha 1

Players can look forward to some exciting new features, such as:

3D models converted to HD*

Brand new artwork and character redesign by Nobuteru Yuuki

Refined background music by Yasunori Mitsuda

Switch enemy encounters on or off

Background filter feature*

Battle enhancement features

Auto-battle function

French, Italian, German and Spanish localization now added

Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font*

The inclusion of Radical Dreamers, never before released in the West.

Players can choose between playing with original or updated graphics

*The 3D models, illustrations, font and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.

Some of the features this version has.

Like the implication that you can choose to have the original visuals.

I'm really happy about this, Chrono Cross is one of my favourite RPGs and severely underappreciated (in part because it was never officially released here). If you liked the world of Chrono Trigger then you're in for a treat - the story of this game really connects well with the original game (while not seeming that way at first). Other positives include lack of random battles, no grinding enemies for XP (as everyday enemies don't level you up), alternate dimensions and quite simply one of the best soundtracks to a game ever.

This game gets some criticism which I don't think is particularly deserved (often focusing on the game having too many characters, which isn't really important IMO). I was thinking about the story in this game long after it finished.

22 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I'm really happy about this, Chrono Cross is one of my favourite RPGs and severely underappreciated (in part because it was never officially released here). If you liked the world of Chrono Trigger then you're in for a treat - the story of this game really connects well with the original game (while not seeming that way at first). Other positives include lack of random battles, no grinding enemies for XP (as everyday enemies don't level you up), alternate dimensions and quite simply one of the best soundtracks to a game ever.

This game gets some criticism which I don't think is particularly deserved (often focusing on the game having too many characters, which isn't really important IMO). I was thinking about the story in this game long after it finished.

Really? I mean, I like Chrono Cross, but that is easily its weakest aspect.  It's a good RPG in its own right, but it is an awful sequel to Chrono Trigger that actively dumps on the original game.

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Really? I mean, I like Chrono Cross, but that is easily its weakest aspect.  It's a good RPG in its own right, but it is an awful sequel to Chrono Trigger that actively dumps on the original game.

I thought it linked fantastically with the original Chrono Trigger, especially with the characters that "return". The fact it seems like it's fairly unrelated to the original game up until a certain point was also a stroke of genius, I thought.

I struggle to think of another game that had me thinking about the story for so long after completing it. It's complex and there's a lot to unpack, but it's completely worth it.

Edited by Sheikah

9 hours ago, Julius said:

So long as it's not the Suikoden affair of needing to collecting all of them to get a true ending, I think it should be fine 

As Glen said, it's fine in that regard. They're there for variety and flavour, not collection.

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, the character choices really don't matter much at all in terms of story.  The dialogue is basically the same for everyone with some minor tweaks to add character flavour.  It's basically a way of adding some variety to each playthrough.

In terms of the main story, sure, but these characters have sidequests and such associated with them still.

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font*

Somehow, this detail sparked the biggest nostalgia rush for me. That font was so pixelated, it felt blocky!

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

the story of this game really connects well with the original game

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

it is an awful sequel to Chrono Trigger that actively dumps on the original game

In a way, I feel like both takes have their merits. In the sense that the connection between both games serves Cross's story far better than it does Trigger.

Spoiler

Like how in Trigger, Porre was just a normal town in the present time, but in Cross it suddenly became an oppressive empire. Cross!Porre works well in CC's story, but there was no indication whatsoever back in Trigger that Porre could become that. They added that scene with Dalton in future releases of CT precisely because that shift was such a hard sell otherwise. It felt unneeded too, because Chrono Cross could've just had Guardia in that position, but the uncertainty that many players felt (wondering if it was truly the same Porre), and the implication that Marle's kingdom was conquered, actually serves well Cross's general tone, as well as the twist of how the two games are connected.

And when I say Porre, I can just as easily mention any of the returning characters or elements: their role in Cross is so different from what they were doing back in Trigger. It works well here, but it's a lousy ending/development for their Trigger selves, especially when you consider the upbeat, optimistic tone of that game.

There's also the fact that the two games are very different in art style, music, aesthetic, gameplay, narrative, general tone, and themes. It's easy to understand the sentiment of "great game by itself, but not a good sequel to Trigger".

• Thanks 1

Haven't seen anyone else mention it yet, but this is only going to be £15.99 (from the game's eShop page), the same price as Final Fantasy VIII Remastered. 

It's nice to see some consistency to S-E's pricing, I kind of figured they'd be trying to push this at an extortionate rate and taking advantage of the game's previous release situation. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Julius said:

Haven't seen anyone else mention it yet, but this is only going to be £15.99 (from the game's eShop page), the same price as Final Fantasy VIII Remastered. 

It's nice to see some consistency to S-E's pricing, I kind of figured they'd be trying to push this at an extortionate rate and taking advantage of the game's previous release situation. 

Yeah, it's surprisingly reasonable.  Same with Live A Live, which is surprisingly only £39.99! They could easily have gotten away with charging full price for that one!

Seems that someone snuck some Sensible Juice into S-E's coffee when they came up with the pricing strategy for these games... shame they couldn't make it in time for when they came up with the bad joke that is Kingdom Hearts Cloud on Switch :p

Square Enix have released a trailer for the game's new and arranged songs:

From the comments and what I've seen elsewhere, the reaction to this seems to be somewhere between mixed and negative, which is a shame. 

• Like 2

Those sound good to me, but then not playing the original I have no point of reference. 

As long as they're happy with the game they're putting out I'll be happy to give it a go. :peace: 

I wonder if this game has the option to use the original soundtrack? I'd be surprised if it didn't, considering you can revert the game back to the original models and such.

Because that's a surefire way to win in terms of soundtrack remasters.

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I wonder if this game has the option to use the original soundtrack? I'd be surprised if it didn't, considering you can revert the game back to the original models and such.

Because that's a surefire way to win in terms of soundtrack remasters.

I'd be shocked if it didn't.  Pretty much all of S-E's remasters (outside of the FF Pixel Remasters) let you select the original or newly arranged soundtracks.

If they don't? Then people will riot, and rightly so.  Chrono Cross' soundtrack is absolutely superb in its original form!

Edited by Dcubed

Sign in to follow this