N-Europe

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Dcubed

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Concord launched today. Gonna be interesting to see just how well/badly it does. Apparently it's taken 8 years to get it from an idea to market. Insanity. When the cost of making games is now so high, coupled with how long it's taking, it's no wonder a single flop can kill a studio.

I've seen some people concerned about the Steam CCU count but I think that's a bit blown out of proportion considering it's a PlayStation release first and foremost – for me what's most concerning is the fact that it's prime time on a Friday evening for streaming in a lot of places and this game currently has 1.1k viewers. 

It could warm up over the weekend but ahead of launch word on Helldivers 2 was just about everywhere. I'm not saying this game was ever going to do as well as HD2, but I wonder if Black Myth coming in this week and blowing everyone away has also completely taken the wind out of Concord's sails? It's the hot topic game right now, and there's much more to talk about than just the game itself – there's the controversy, the performance, and loads more. 

Guess we'll need to wait and see how it pans out, but I agree, it's absolutely insanity. You can tell it was thought up a long time ago with the Guardians of the Galaxy vibes it's gone for with it's characters and marketing – it feels 5 years late at best even on that front ::shrug:

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Concord launched today. Gonna be interesting to see just how well/badly it does.

Just woke up to see the review scores are currently at a 68 on MC (6 reviews) and 63 on OC (5 reviews). 

Obviously reviews aren't everything, but no/very little potential positive word of mouth combined with a very muted marketing push and not getting this in the hands of more people for launch (again, is Wukong just eating everyone's lunch here?) evidenced not only by its very small footprint on streaming platforms right now but also the scarily low number of reviews for a PlayStation published game at launch. 

It's really bizarre how none of their learnings from Helldivers 2 has seemingly gone into carting this game around at all. I thought that game had an ABYSMAL marketing campaign - I still think that to this day, it did an awful job of selling people new to the IP on the game - but ultimately it got in the hands of the right people, blew up on game streaming platforms like Twitch and so had great word of mouth to back what is fundamentally a really fun game loop, not to mention that it's fairly unique in the console space. 

Meanwhile, I've just clocked that you mentioned this game was in dev for 8 years – what released 8 years ago that this game looks almost exactly identical to? Overwatch. Which still has a community, but is nowhere near as big today and its community is either quieter or it has genuinely shrunk over that time between the launch of the original and the middling reception of 2. With that in mind, this has to be up there as one of the most delayed releases in reaction to something else I've seen. 

I'm just gutted for the devs, it seems like they really put a lot of passion into the game, but it's mental that this isn't the first time I feel like PlayStation have had a multiplayer game just kind of bomb at launch like this since the launch of the PS5 – remember Destruction AllStars? This is giving me the exact same vibes...though at least this got a nice DualSense to release alongside it :p hopefully PlayStation pay a bit more attention to the lessons they need to learn this time around

I guess we'll need to wait and see, perhaps this game will have a slow build, but I feel like it's just been silenced with everything else releasing around it :blank: especially considering the weekly cutscene/story angle they were pushing, I'm also really curious to see how long this gets supported for if it doesn't pick up?

Yeah, things like Destiny and Overwatch are clear inspirations for the game. The developers clearly wanted to make their own version of that but it's taken far too long to get out the door. I mean, both Overwatch and Destiny are shadows of their former sleves at this point and not nearly as popular as they once were. 

Sony's/Jim's strategy of having multiple GaaS type games was always a risky one. All you need is one big hit but when you have something like Fortnite continuing to rule the market in the GaaS shooter genre, I wouldn't even bother trying to break into it. 

I imagine Fairgame will end up in a similar situation and given that Marathan is supposed to be in development hell and pivoting to a more hero shooter type game, that will probably be the same as well. 

It's pretty frustrating when you consider that Naughty Dog had a fantastic mutliplayer mode in The Last of Us. All they needed was to expand on that a little and Sony would have had their GaaS hit. Instead, the game was turned into something it was never meant to be and ultimately cancelled. They didn't need to reinvent the wheel but instead just refine the base game a little.

Funny that you mentioned Destruction All-Stars. I was just reading this morning how the servers have been down since May and people have bee trying to get an answer as to what is going on with it. It's a real bad look, especially when the game is still on sale but now doesn't really work properly. The joys of online only gaming. It's why I wanted to play Exoprimal before this kinda thing started happening with that.

• Like 1

Concord is the perfect example of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.  Literally everyone knew that it was a guaranteed bomb from the moment it was announced, but Sony/Firesprite had already poured so much money and time into chasing an Overwatch shaped fad that had already died years ago that they couldn’t bare the thought of scrapping everything; especially after Sony bothered to go as far as to acquire the studio.

Sure, it would’ve been publicly embarrassing, but the game really should’ve been cancelled the moment it was clear how tepid the public reaction was.

To put this into perspective, even SEGA had the foresight and good sense to cancel the release of Hyenas when it was clear that it was doomed to failure.  SEGA.  Yes, that SEGA; a company run by literal morons.

But yeah, the Sunk Cost Fallacy claims yet another victim.  And again, the GAAS sector once again proves that it is a zero sum game where it’s next to impossible to survive once a genre king with First Mover Advantage establishes itself.  But oh no, that won’t happen to us because we’re SURE to be the ones who will win the lottery this time!

Edited by Dcubed

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Concord is the perfect example of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.  Literally everyone knew that it was a guaranteed bomb from the moment it was announced, but Sony/Firesprite had already poured so much money and time into chasing an Overwatch shaped fad that had already died years ago that they couldn’t bare the thought of scrapping everything; especially after Sony bothered to go as far as to acquire the studio.

Sure, it would’ve been publicly embarrassing, but the game really should’ve been cancelled the moment it was clear how tepid the public reaction was.

It's a very similar situation to what Microsoft were in with Redfall. Difference here is that Concord does seem like a decent game and very polished, it's just the market isn't there.

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

But yeah, the Sunk Cost Fallacy claims yet another victim.  And again, the GAAS sector once again proves that it is a zero sum game where it’s next to impossible to survive once a genre king with First Mover Advantage establishes itself.  But oh no, that won’t happen to us because we’re SURE to be the ones who will win the lottery this time!

I get why companies are trying to get a foot in through door with the GaaS market but, like you said, it's a complete lottery and one that could and has cost studios dearly. 

I'm sat here playing Exoprimal as I write this. I think it's a great, if shallow, game but it's was another GaaS title that was destined to fail. Very little hype after the initial trailer, poor word of mouth, very few sales, fast discount and then content stopped after less than a year. Capcom chased the GaaS model with this game and I guarantee that had they put the time and resources into making a Dino Crisis remake they would have seen a better return.

It's looking like some changes to the PlayStation Stars loyalty programme are nigh...

We wanted to let you know that we are updating the PlayStation Stars™ Terms of Service, and your action is needed.

Starting October 24, 2024, you must accept the updated PlayStation Stars Terms of Service to be a PlayStation Stars member.

What is Changing?

Effective October 24, 2024:

● New Points earned will expire at the end of the month plus 12 months from the date on which they appear in your PlayStation Stars account balance. Points earned prior to October 24, 2024 will continue to expire at the end of the month plus 24 months from the date on which they appear in your PlayStation Stars account balance.

Effective March 1, 2025:

● The definition of "Eligible Purchases" will be updated to exclude all subscription payments made on PlayStation Store (including any initial or renewal subscription payments for PlayStation Plus or any other subscription service), which means that Points will no longer be earned on subscription payments.

Basically: subscriptions soon won't be giving you points (such as PS+ renewals) and points will now only be valid for 12 months rather than 24 months. 

Nothing monumental - I'll be honest, I just throw them at Playstation Wallet funds :p - but it is some change, and not really for the better? But shouldn't change day-to-day use: just remember to spend your points when you have them! 

I always use them as soon as I have saved up a fiver. Not giving out points for PS+ subscriptions is pretty scummy.

It's a shoddy service in comparison to what Nintendo offer. At least you get cash back on physical goods and I love the icons/pics that you can get with your platinum points. The digital items and collectibles Sony dishes out still serve zero purpose.

13 hours ago, drahkon said:

Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon

I need someone to whack me in the head every 5 seconds. I keep playing this as a rhythm game for whatever reason :laughing:
Anyways, it's gonna take some time to understand all the mechanics and enemies' behaviours.

The game got a banger soundtrack, which is not surprising given it's basically remixes of the Shovel Knight franchise's music :p
Kinda makes me wanna go back to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. :D

42 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The game got a banger soundtrack, which is not surprising given it's basically remixes of the Shovel Knight franchise's music :p

You can tell I'm getting old. I cringe every time someone says banger or slaps when it comes to describe some great. :D 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You can tell I'm getting old. I cringe every time someone says banger or slaps when it comes to describe some great. :D 

Based. :p

Hm, I always thought that "banger" has been used for ages. Guess I was wrong and will immediately remove it from my vocabulary. :nono:

I also cringe when somebody says "this shit slaps" or any other variations.

Edited by drahkon

30 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Hm, I always thought that "banger" has been used for ages. Guess I was wrong and will immediately remove it from my vocabulary. :nono:

It's been around at least as long as I've been alive (because I've been hearing it my entire life), though I imagine it has its origins in the UK, so can't speak for how long it's served as an export of ours to other countries – and given our diversity in regional accents and dialects which seem to switch up every 10 miles or so, goodness knows who came up with it ::shrug:

30 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I also cringe when somebody says "this shit slaps" or any other variations.

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

22 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Cringe is one that makes me cringe

You don't all sound about a thousand years old right now :p

now-old.gif

(I agree with some of these to be fair)

For me, I'm just glad that these terms and phrases seem to come and go at a decent clip. 

"Banter"? Great word for describing a particular type of light-hearted ribbing. "It's just banter" or "I'm looking for someone with good banter?" You sound like a plonk trapped in 2012. 

Still remember hearing "YOLO" for the first time and was left wondering "you're all just realising this now?"...before, realising they'd used it like a trademark catchphrase, that person just jumped off a high wall and sprained their ankle ::shrug:

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Cringe is one that makes me cringe

It's definitely been overused over the years.

19 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's been around at least as long as I've been alive (because I've been hearing it my entire life), though I imagine it has its origins in the UK, so can't speak for how long it's served as an export of ours to other countries – and given our diversity in regional accents and dialects which seem to switch up every 10 miles or so, goodness knows who came up with it ::shrug:

I never hear up in the North East (what about you, @Ike?) but then I work with people mostly around my own age.

A couple of years ago, Greg and John started using it on Masterchef when describing the food they were eating. It just felt like...

old-man-music-band.gif

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's definitely been overused over the years.

I never hear up in the North East (what about you, @Ike?) but then I work with people mostly around my own age.

A couple of years ago, Greg and John started using it on Masterchef when describing the food they were eating. It just felt like...

Maybe the rare occasion at work with some younger colleagues.

I'm pretty sure it's a newer slang, never heard it used in that context when I was younger when everything was "sick".

Banger was used with mash, as in sausage and mash, or an old car to me.

Old_Man_Yells_at_cloud_cover.jpg

• Haha 2