NEurope
Aperson

Your 2019 Gaming Diary

On 8/20/2019 at 12:15 PM, Vileplume2000 said:

Valkyria Chronicles - Nintendo Switch

I continued playing Valkryia after a short hiatus. I'm currently in Chapter 9, and judging by the list of updates I can still do this must be around 1/3 of the game. There's much to love about this game. Graphics are charming and an original take on the cell-shaded style. The story is good (not mind-blowing), and nice to see it takes a dark turn every now and then. After all it is a game about war.

I really like the mix of strategy with realtime action. Units feel a bit unbalanced though. I feel a lot can be achieved by plowing through everything with your tank. Lancers feel pretty useless in comparison. Sometimes it is a bit annoying that you are put in a situation you cannot anticipate, often resulting in lost units. Luckily you can save mid-game and load it again if you mess up a turn.

One thing that is bloody annoying though is that this game does not autosave! One night I finished a skirmish level and closed the game, but didn't save... Damn. Still a great game, and I'm curious if other games in the series are worth checking out after this one.

That's an understatement!

qEhANMg5-bm2y8aFyunFMlYo0YSY6IYhiMPm5HWo

This is entirely accurate

It's a good game and all, but yeah... It's ridiculously easy to cheese.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

Bulletstorm is done.

5/10. The skillshot system is pretty cool, but once you've done a skillshot it loses its thrill ::shrug: Still, a solid shooter. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now...what to play until I will buy Slay the Spire on Saturday. It's on sale for 18€ and I'll be able to get 20€ PSN credit for 11€ with some ebay vouchers I got :D Until then I don't wanna start a new game. Maybe I'll just dabble with No Man's Sky a bit as it's gotten a huuuuge update.

• Like 1

I remember really enjoying playing Bulletstorm on the 360. I had some fun times playing it in co-op mode and the campaign was just the right length. Some of the combos needing to be pulled off for some of the high scores and achievements were a bit nuts and it really pushed you to learn all the different ways to take down the enemies.

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I remember really enjoying playing Bulletstorm on the 360. I had some fun times playing it in co-op mode and the campaign was just the right length. Some of the combos needing to be pulled off for some of the high scores and achievements were a bit nuts and it really pushed you to learn all the different ways to take down the enemies.

Maybe back in the day it would've been the same for me. The gameplay didn't age well, though. It feels quite clunky at times. Shooters these days play much more smoothly. I'd love to see a Bulletstorm sequel with some updated mechanics.

I completed Ori and The Blind Forest this week on my Xbox, an absolutely incredible game that deserves a go (and is already very old but holds up well) hopefully Switch only gamers will jump at the chance to play it and enjoy it as much as I have.

I planned on tackling Resident Evil 4 after, again on my Xbox as it's free on Game Pass; I fired it up but it literally made me sick to play, as in the motion of the controls messed with my head so much I was sick, which I've never experienced before with a game, and certainly not when I played it originally on the Game Cube and again on the Wii. Any one else have this with the HD remake of Resi 4, or did the jump from 2D to 3D set something off in my head?!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I planned on tackling Resident Evil 4 after, again on my Xbox as it's free on Game Pass; I fired it up but it literally made me sick to play, as in the motion of the controls messed with my head so much I was sick, which I've never experienced before with a game, and certainly not when I played it originally on the Game Cube and again on the Wii. Any one else have this with the HD remake of Resi 4, or did the jump from 2D to 3D set something off in my head?!

I can't say that's ever happened to me before. Even when playing VR games. Very strange. Hopefully you are feeling better now. :peace:

Was able to buy Slay the Spire 30 minutes ago. I knew what I was getting into because I've seen a lot of Northernlion's videos but man...didn't expect that playing it myself would be immediately addictive :D 

I will spend many hours on this game. A rogue-like deck-builder which requires you to do maths and keep in mind all the little nuances that can happen in a battle...it's a dream come true.

Also bought Matterfall as it's only 6€ right now. It's a Housemarque game, so I'm probably going to like it. That reminds me...I still need to get Nex Machina's Platinum...maybe around Christmas.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't say that's ever happened to me before. Even when playing VR games. Very strange. Hopefully you are feeling better now. :peace:

I feel like I should maybe have another go at some point just to see but it was certainly very strange, no idea if it had anything to do with the age of the game, but I think it was the camera and how it was jerking around Leon.

I had Arkham Origins in the pipeline as well so I may just crack on with that before Gears 5 hits in a few weeks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

Was able to buy Slay the Spire 30 minutes ago. I knew what I was getting into because I've seen a lot of Northernlion's videos but man...didn't expect that playing it myself would be immediately addictive :D

A lad at work was late in the other morning because he was up until stupid o' clock playing that game on his Xbox One (he got it from Game Pass). He said it's really got it's hooks into him. :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A lad at work was late in the other morning because he was up until stupid o' clock playing that game on his Xbox One (he got it from Game Pass). He said it's really got it's hooks into him. :D 

Completely understandable. I wish I could play today, but I'm spending time with friends all day...urgh. :p Nah, I like 'em.

• Haha 1

Had some time and continued my run from last night (the fact that you can save mid-run is awesome). I died halfway through act 2 because I'm dumb and can't add 3 single digit numbers correctly. :laughing: 

Anyway, that's it for today. Tune in next week to "Drahkon's maths for idiots".

• Haha 1

Super Mario Maker 2 and Hollow Knight remain on the backlog due to a continued card game obsession. So video game wise this means I'm still sticking to the likes of Pokemon Trading Card Game Online (PC) and Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) along with YGOPRO Percy but that is a fan client so not really an official game.

On PTCGO I have built many different types of decks

ECqt1QFWwAEfmvb.jpg

Though, this is my main deck right now for the format

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 1 Stufful GRI 112
* 1 Stufful SUM 111
* 1 Bewear GRI 113
* 2 Zorua XY 72
* 2 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 2 Turtonator DRM 50
* 3 Litten UNB 27
* 1 Reshiram & Charizard-GX UNB 20
* 2 Torracat UNB 28
* 2 Incineroar UNB 29
* 2 Mewtwo UNB 75

##Trainer Cards - 19

* 1 Cherish Ball UNM 191
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Switch CES 147
* 1 Fisherman CES 130
* 2 Judge FLI 108
* 3 Hau CES 132
* 3 Welder UNB 189
* 1 Blacksmith FLF 88
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 2 Kiawe BUS 116
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 22

* 17 Fire Energy SMEnergy 11
* 1 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 2 Burning Energy BKT 151
* 2 Psychic Energy SMEnergy 5

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Meanwhile on MTG Arena I haven't built as many decks by myself but I have mainly only been playing with one deck of two different colours. Might try and build a different kind of deck soon.

ECqxt8yXoAEIEPu.jpg

The one I've mainly been using is "Flight Deck", so called because all the creatures in it are Flying.

2 Shivan Dragon (M20) 335
11 Island (RIX) 193
4 Unsummon (M20) 78
9 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Sleep Paralysis (M20) 75
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Windstorm Drake (RNA) 60
4 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
4 Sky Theater Strix (WAR) 67
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
2 Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (M20) 136
4 Swiftwater Cliffs (M20) 252
1 Chandra's Triumph (WAR) 121
1 Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer (M20) 68
2 Ral, Storm Conduit (WAR) 211

Drakuseth is awesome. If you can keep him on the field he basically wins you the game because he can get rid of your opponents' threats before he even launches his main attack and unless the opponent has Flying or Reach they aren't going to be able to block his attack. Sleep Paralysis and Shock are also awesome and the base low cost creature in the deck gains additional attack every time you use one of these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright Slay the Spire...I hate you...and I love you. So much.

Haven't beaten the second Act, yet. And 95% of it was my fault because I'm an idiot. The other 5%...RNG, but that's what happens in a game like this :D 

I'm only 3 hours in but it could very well replace The Binding of Isaac as best rogue-like I've played.

• Haha 1

In non card game video game related news I have been recording a custom character tournament on Youtube for Soulcalibur VI (PS4). The first episode went up recently and I've already finished the second episode, waiting for a clear time when bandwidth isn't an issue to upload.

Managed to win a run in Slay the Spire. Took me long enough :D 

aYssO07.jpg

Managed to build a great deck. During the 18 previous runs I've started to slowly understand possible synergies between cards and relics and in my winning run that synergy was:

Don't discard cards after your turn (effect of a relic) - have two cards in your deck which, after you play them (they cost 0 energy), give you 5 "Block" whenever you play an attack that turn - have an attack card in your deck that costs 0 energy, deals damage and puts a copy of that card into your deck for that fight - profit, i.e. eventually reduce incoming damage by quite a high "Block" value and still be able to deal damage.

Adding to this basic synergy was a relic that makes you draw a card whenever you lose HP. My hand was pretty much always full (10 cards; so lots of possibilities to defend/attack) and a relic that increases the block you gain from cards by 1.

I love this game :D 

Spoiler

After I've beaten what I've considered to be one of the final bosses, I've encountered this:

n3NxTIb.jpg

Yeah...I assume this is the final boss...however...I went back to sleep.

qxgBky9.jpg

Bitter sweet victory. :D 

d5ZjOlZ.jpg

Well...guess I need to win with the other two characters, as well.

I've seen gameplay of the other two characters but never really paid a lot of attention to it. Gonna be awesome to figure out their intricacies and possibilities. I will, however, keep playing with the first character for now. I still have some cards to unlock.

I've also been playing a lot of Diablo 3 with a mate. Good times. :) 

Edit: And I beat another run :D I've read that once you win a run, something inside you just "clicks" and the game reveals its true potential to you. And it feels like it does. Managed to get a different, but insanely power synergy. It essentially made 5 of my cards deal 40-50 damage and I was able to play at least one of them each turn on average.

This game, people...this game!

Edited by drahkon

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

Edit: And I beat another run :D I've read that once you win a run, something inside you just "clicks" and the game reveals its true potential to you. And it feels like it does.

Image result for limitless gifs

Related image

• Haha 1

In case you haven't noticed: Slay the Spire is incredible.

The second character has a completely different set of cards. Poison looks like a fun concept to build a deck around.

People, buy this game.

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The second character has a completely different set of cards. Poison looks like a fun concept to build a deck around.

People, buy this game.

I already did in this case. Launch day even I believe. It's the only roguelike I've really enjoyed so far, I think. Thanks to the deckbuilding aspect.

Edited by Sméagol

37 minutes ago, drahkon said:

People, buy this game.

It's free on Game Pass and I still won't touch it. :p 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's free on Game Pass and I still won't touch it. :p 

Playing DMC on easy, cheesing the Mile High trophy, hating cats and now this...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Playing DMC on easy, cheesing the Mile High trophy, hating cats and now this...

giphy.gif

Add to the list that I've never even seen In Bruges. :p 

Slay the Spire win with the second character achieved! :D 

Had a great poison deck. Pretty straightforward. Poison deals damage at the start of the enemies' turn and then gets reduced by one. The run winning card was:

Catalyst.png

Final boss had 165 poison at the end which secured me the victory. It was close, though...without that card I would've died.

Well...one character left. But first: getting all unlocks with the second character.