NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

Gamecube

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Tales of Symphonia is one of them. Well done!

Ouch, not a game you want to lose. Nice collection.

3 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Ouch, not a game you want to lose. Nice collection.

Honestly, I was never a huge fan of it. I found the story to be a bit of a rip off of Final Fantasy X, which I had played before Symphonia. Also, I much prefer a turn based battle system over the more action oriented Tales series. 

Speaking of turn based JRPGs, I really must play Baten Kaitos Origins one of these days. I've had it sat on my shelf ever since it got released!

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly, I was never a huge fan of it. I found the story to be a bit of a rip off of Final Fantasy X, which I had played before Symphonia. Also, I much prefer a turn based battle system over the more action oriented Tales series. 

Speaking of turn based JRPGs, I really must play Baten Kaitos Origins one of these days. I've had it sat on my shelf ever since it got released!

Ah, but then still, it's still a great one for the collection. Personally I loved the battle system though.

And yeah, Origins is the biggest reason why I myself want GameCube emulation / virtual console / whatever.

Tales of Symphonia is a great game to co-op through though. The problem is finding people who would be committed to such a big game.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Winner! Well done. :) 

Haha, and that's the one I am not a huge fan of.. Even though it's in my small collection. Maybe I'll take a pic of it later.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Tales of Symphonia is a great game to co-op through though. The problem is finding people who would be committed to such a big game.

I never remembered that it could be a two player game. Not easy to set up as a two player game though. I played a little with my wife last night... I don't know if it is just a slow starter of if it just aged badly.. but It wasn't half the game I remembered it to be :/

44 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

I never remembered that it could be a two player game. Not easy to set up as a two player game though. I played a little with my wife last night... I don't know if it is just a slow starter of if it just aged badly.. but It wasn't half the game I remembered it to be :/

YGfK.gif

• Haha 4
  • Weird 1

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Pestneb said:

Playing on the GC, it kinda hits me how little the Wii U takes things, graphically, beyond the GC. Tbh for me even the PS4 isn't THAT big a step up, considering it is 2 generations on. Obviously I guess it depends on the game being played, but even so, the gamecube (while suffering a little from graphical issues) does a pretty good job graphically. I can kinda understand Nintendo's points on not focusing too much on graphics since that generation, even if I'm not 100% sold on the path they have taken thus far.

Yeah, you could pretty much see GC/Wii as the same thing, and Wii U/Switch as the same thing as well; so one big generational jump since GC.  We're basically at the "Wii HD" stage that some desired, or even "GC HD".  If Switch was purely a console, I'd find that disappointing, but it seems the right level for a handheld.

With Switch, I do finally find myself satisfied with graphical performance.  Thinking back to GameCube, I longed for the days when we would see how much more technically proficient a game world like Zelda's could be, but many of the open world games I've now played exceed what I could have imagined.  Instead, I look back even more fondly at the more focused, tightly-designed GC games such as Wind Waker, Metroid Prime or Mario Sunshine.  GameCube was very near perfect - with a bit more grunt and an HD output as the next step, the philosophy behind that console would have been the ideal way to support the ethos of Nintendo's game design at the time.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

GameCube was very near perfect - with a bit more grunt and an HD output as the next step, the philosophy behind that console would have been the ideal way to support the ethos of Nintendo's game design at the time.

Ironically enough, it was mainly the Playstation 2 that got Nintendo to change that ethos. It demolished the Gamecube, despite being a technically weaker console.

I don't care what anyone says. The Wii was absolutely the correct route to take at the time. Going for high graphic fidelity was starting to get pretty expensive and Nintendo capitalized on that to provide an appealing alternative to the average gamer. I don't believe a Gamecube HD would have performed even a quarter as well as the Wii did.

23 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Ironically enough, it was mainly the Playstation 2 that got Nintendo to change that ethos. It demolished the Gamecube, despite being a technically weaker console.

Not that much weaker though.  It was more akin to how there's not a huge difference between Xbox One, PS4 and their revisions.  They take turns to be slightly more powerful than the other, but they still play host to the same multi-platform games.

Out of all the systems I own the GameCube remains my favourite. It really marked the end of me being a PC gamer and onto a new chapter of console/handheld gaming. I still have a lot of good memories with that system.

I must have well over 200 games for it and the few games I still want to get for the system are quite a bit expensive now. I did look into getting a GCHD Mk II HDMI adapter but it's out of my price bracket and I don't have that many games that support 480p without changing things but it's nice for people who want to get the very best out of their console.

Edited by sumo73
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I sold my Gsmecube a while ago to buy either a Wii or a 360. All the games went with it :(

Rebought it a few years later and picked up Smash Bros Melee and MGS:Twin Snakes. I regret selling that Gamecube >_>

Sign in to follow this