NEurope
Pit-Jr

Mario 128

Yes, that first person view really helps with jumping, in a platformer... [/sarcasm]
Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime.

Bad example, mate. Whilst Metroid Prime does have some plaforming elements, it is not the focus of the game and when they do occur they are more to make exploration interesting. Mario games, meanwhile, are platformers through and through, with precision jumping being called for on a regular basis, to which a first person view does not lend itself. It's the inability to see where your feet and where they are in relation to the surroundings.

i'm sure i remember miyamoto saying a while back that he hadn't yet decided which console they were going to release mario 128 on. so it may not necessarily be made with the revo remote inmind. does anyone else remember hearing this?

i'm sure i remember miyamoto saying a while back that he hadn't yet decided which console they were going to release mario 128 on. so it may not necessarily be made with the revo remote inmind. does anyone else remember hearing this?
Yeah, but that was said about a year or so ago;

Since then, Nintendo have said they are pushing Shigsy to make sure Mario is a Revolution launch title!

Didn't Nintendo say the Revolution was built around Mario 128? If that's true it certainly won't be your average Mario game.

Bad example, mate. Whilst Metroid Prime does have some plaforming elements, it is not the focus of the game and when they do occur they are more to make exploration interesting. Mario games, meanwhile, are platformers through and through, with precision jumping being called for on a regular basis, to which a first person view does not lend itself. It's the inability to see where your feet and where they are in relation to the surroundings.
Remember, we are talking about a console with a codename of Revolution. Your thinking is still entrenched in "how can we make current gen genres work with the Revmote". Nothing wrong with that. Did Miyamoto/Aonoma (the guy that is doing Zelda) not say that TP will be the last Zelda that will be played in the "classical" style and that the revo Zelda will be totally different? That's what I want from the Revolution. If M128 plays like a glorified M64 (which I have not played - bring on the Virtual Console!) or a superior Mario Sunshine with Revmote attached to it: Count me out.

I hope you controll mario by aiming with the revmote, jumping by, holding A button and "drag" the revmote in the direction you want to jump. That would rock, wouldn't it?

yes, yes it would. im all for the control scheme that uses the remote only. I was thinking, hold the trigger button in to 'run forward', control the direction of the run by aiming the remote and jump simply by pressing A. When you let off the trigger , you get a free camera to look around, no attachment necessary.

also i demand that Mario and Peach 'get it on' at some point in the game.

I wonder if jumping will be like in the trailer, you know, flicking your controller and Mario jumps? Then we might be in for something special indeed. How is that going to work?

thats alot of flicking=carpal tunnel. whatever cap/feather/costume makes you fly , you could double-flick upward and send Mario up in the air and then control the flight by aiming and banking with the remote.

An example of first person view being a pain in the arse in platforming sections: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. I loved that game but the platforming was frustrating.

As for Mario I'd love to see old achool gameplay with the fire flowers and mushrooms and raccoon suits and Yoshis. All in glorious 3D visuals and movements.

I want the power-ups back! And a proper Yoshi! Not a Yoshi that disappears when it touches water.

Oooo, so negative...

I would say it's a very good example of a game that has platforming elements which works in a first-person view.

But you're right, it doesn't lend itself to accuracy thanks to not being able to see your feet too easily.

Having said that, the rev controller might change all that. Imagine Metroid Prime controls (Control stick moves Mario), but you use the wand to move your view. That way if there was a Goomba in the distance, you would tilt forward on the Control stick to approach it. When you're near enough, you would press A on the wand to jump, then while in the air, you would point the wand downwards to see what was below you (or around you if you wanted), then use the Control stick to make fine adjustments so that the Goomba is in the centre of your view i.e. directly below you.

I'm sure the dev teams will have presented this and many other control schemes before deciding on the direction the game will take.

I would put my money on 128 working with the controller because Miyamoto wants to make people smile.. he considers that his job.

It's clear that more people will pick up a game with a touch pad like on the DS and the revolution controller.. because it is easier to control.

It is hitting the demographic of people who wouldn't play a game if it required pressing 16 different buttons in a variety of different combinations.

Miyamoto will reach a new audience of people and will be taking pride in his work.. making millions of people smile.

I would put a vast amount of money on it in fact.. I can't see a logical reason why it would not work.

What I can't predict is what add on Miyamoto will come up with.. if at all to make Mario 128 the must have individual title.. after all those clogs don't tick in his brain for nothing.

It could be something really rad we've not thought of yet.. we're all so swept up in the use of the FPS nunchucka and the pointer to move Mario.

If the add-ons are cheap enough to bundle with a game like Mario 128.. then surely Mario 128 will be the shining benchmark that choses to do so.. it's the console flagship.

Nintedno would have created the Revolution with Mario 128 in mind. This is the way Nintendo have always made their consoles with the launch title in mind. Mario 64 N64, Luigi Mansion Gamecube etc.

This didn't happen with the DS though.

I think they packaged Mario 64 to make launch in a rush.. it was just because the launch was so piss poor.

Personally I don't rate it as a DS title.. It's not on my list of priorities to play at the moment.

I've not played it on the 64 though.. so I will do one day.

i don't think any of our ideas, no matter what we try to come up with, will be anything like what the game will end up being, to be honest.

only because nintendo themselves have said that they can't show the game because it is so innovative and unique that their competitors would steal the idea behind it. we could speculate forever, but we're still thinking about current generation genres and how they could work with the wand, nintendo are thinking on a whole different plane... think about it, we couldn't have predicted some of the diverse gaming we're enjoying and about to enjoy on the ds before its launch.

personally, i can't wait for launch to play this, as i do think it'll be a launch title. nintendo have said they made a mistake not having a big proper mario game for launch with the cube and that they'll not make the same mistakes with the revo.

also, i think it'll use the wand on its own, not even with the nunchuku, as not only will nintendo need to show people that it is a viable controller on its own and can control a huge and involving game such as mario128, but also remember the promo video showed a girl playing a platform game with just the controller...

Did sunshine suck or something?

No fanboy replies please.

I mean in comparison to 64? I've not played any Mario games since the NES version.

Sunshine sucked compared to 64. And the World games. And the Gameboy ones. And the NES ones.

As for 128-

Peach dies at the end of the first disc

Sunshine wasn't as good as 64. Fludd did make it a lot easier, but added a few more elemnts to the games. The boss was the easiest boss i ever had to fight, literally. It only cost me 5 quid though :P

I wouldn't say it sucked, it did give me a few hours of enjoyement. But 64 is definitely better imo.

Yamcha where did you come across this information? You best hope a certain member of this forum don't read that.

Yamcha where did you come across this information? You best hope a certain member of this forum don't read that.

I wonder who that would be. There's more than one disc?

Haha, indeed Spencer! :)

I honestly feel Mario 128 will be something that we can't imagine, unless it's something stupid like that damn FLOOD from Sunshine. I doubt it'll be a "drag the remote" to jump thing. That just seems too simple, i think it might be something quite extraordinary. Perhaps another addon for the joypad?

I hate all the moaning about Sunshine, I think its fantastic. It might not be as revolutionary as SM64 but I think its some of the most fun I've ever had playing videogames. I love the freedom.

..I felt that Super Mario 64 set the bar so high that whatever Super Mario Sunshine turned out to be like it would never be able to reach the incredibly high (too high?) expectations.. I enjoyed Sunshine even though it wasn't as groundbreaking..