NEurope
Pit-Jr

Mario 128

definately, it was under high scrutiny from the beginning. As a stand-alone game its great, but its always gonna be compared to 64. Same with the Wind Waker and OoT

Sunshine's main problems weren't to do with being unfairly compared to SM64. I didn't like the boring levels, which were all pretty similar to each other;the fact that there weren't actually many levels anyway; FLUDD, which meant that accurate jumping wasn't required any more; the poor way in which Yoshi was implemented; and the badly-designed NPCs, like the Pianta. Mario 128 definitely needs to be set in the Mushromo Kingdom, and see the return of proper platforming and classic power-ups and enemies.

Using the revo controler to shoot fireflowers! Ownage lol

From what I gather people in general want Mario to stay nice & 3D

but have more things back from the 2D world. Also, playing together

also sounds important.

But either they add a whole different coop mode such as four swords with a different world. Or they focus one a great adventure game suited for revo control. Or both hehe. But Nintendo's in enough hurry to deliver their things in time without losing quality.

I would really love to use different characters for each world like they did on the DS version of Mario 64.

Maybe a little better then just added at last minute. Using Luigi, Yoshi and Toad and such to finish different obstacles can be fun if implented the right way.

People don't die in nintendo games.. they 'faint'

Heh, i laughed so hard at that, its very true though.

Its a shame there isnt much death in kids games, does it set a bad example? Its a natural part of life, and kids should know about that, theres been death in sonic (Well one), and i think Mario should use death to create more interesting story lines, you cannot have a brilliant story line without sadness in my opinion. You need something to play with your emotions.

Sunshine's main problems weren't to do with being unfairly compared to SM64. I didn't like the boring levels, which were all pretty similar to each other;the fact that there weren't actually many levels anyway; FLUDD, which meant that accurate jumping wasn't required any more; the poor way in which Yoshi was implemented; and the badly-designed NPCs, like the Pianta. Mario 128 definitely needs to be set in the Mushromo Kingdom, and see the return of proper platforming and classic power-ups and enemies.

Yeah, I agree. I loved Mario Sunshine at first but I can't find the motiviation to go for all stars (which I have done twice in Mario 64) after beating the final boss. The points you've mentioned pretty much sums up what I think of Sunshine - though it still beats 90% of all other platformers out there. I hope Mario 128 will have a better design because this was a game in which Miyamoto seemed 'out of shape'.

Yeah I completely agree; I just didn't really enjoy Sunshine.

I didn't like the tropical (away from the mushroom kingdom) theme; it just wasn't Mario!

The levels were extremely similar!

Yoshi didn't play an important part; and wasn't availiable in Green!!

All the new bad-guys and the locals were pretty poor,

FLUDD was alright, but I didn't really enjoy anything he added!

Bowsers voice was TERRIBLE!

I enjoyed the non-FLUDD levels (as everyone says!!) and I liked the first world and the theme park world alot!

I demand it on launch.. I really wont buy the console until Smash bros and Mario 128 are both available.

Didnt Iwata want Mario 128 to be available at launch for the Rev? if so then thats obviously one of their plans for the Rev at launch.

The only thing I didnt like about Sunshine was the Blue coin hunting. It was more frustrating than searching for Triforce peices in Wind Waker. That being said I love both games.

Heh, i laughed so hard at that, its very true though.

Its a shame there isnt much death in kids games, does it set a bad example? Its a natural part of life, and kids should know about that, theres been death in sonic (Well one), and i think Mario should use death to create more interesting story lines, you cannot have a brilliant story line without sadness in my opinion. You need something to play with your emotions.

First! Mario Brothers has been a game that had no story! It´s arcarde-style. Only your skill was determined the game. No silly storyline. Ohh yeah, rescue the princess, what a story!?! Emotions? If you´d dyed in the last level there were emotions that got you rid of your controller sometimes...no savepoint anyone?

First! Mario Brothers has been a game that had no story! It´s arcarde-style. Only your skill was determined the game. No silly storyline. Ohh yeah, rescue the princess, what a story!?! Emotions? If you´d dyed in the last level there were emotions that got you rid of your controller sometimes...no savepoint anyone?

Its like the classic Sonic's, a story is there, but its optional. I wouldnt say that for most Mario's but for some there is definitly a story there.

Stories make games good and memorable, Mario is memorable for its popularity and what a classic it was. Mario is a plumber who is going to rescue a princess <- STORY.

The only emotion i feel in games is anger, when i realy screw up. Look at games like ICO, nobody wanted it. Then the artistic side and the story made it shine, its the most overlooked game.

Im still sticking to Nintendo including death in popular games, for there is no reason not to! Makes things more dramatic.

I agree with this. Story in games are not really needed. To advocate "deeper" storylines as advancement for a game is silly. Advancement of games = better (however you define it) gameplay. I do not play games for story (arrrgh! not another cut-scene!), I play for fun, enjoyment, gameplay. Want story and plot? Go read a book. Or watch a movie. Or something equally silly.

Sometimes story is good...but only for adventures/rpgs. But for jump´n´runs or shootém´ups...everybody skiped the little text in r-type or the first metroid. Mostly you only had to beat level by level, which are getting harder each time...same with final fight(one of my favourites!!). or ahh:zombies in my neighborhood( I will download that for shure!have never got to the last level)...yes, I´m very happy with the VC...#

If you have no money to by a new game that´s a very good alternative way...

Sometimes story is good...but only for adventures/rpgs.
I used to think like this in the past. Nowadays I only play RPGs for their battlesystem. An RPG can have the best storyline, but if the battlesystem (gameplay) is crap, why bother to play?

Of course of course...the tales of series is one of a kind, in gameplay! Have you ever played the old one for SNES, there is a fansub-version with english text out there. But only for emulators. But the best was Secret of mana, I imported it as my christmas-gift for 180 DM (90 €) even though I couldn´t speak english @ that time. So many weapons, and so many special moves. This is one thing I miss in eveery new adventure: why can´t everybody in your party use any kind of weapon?

Ahhh! The SNES. I missed out completely on that brilliant machine. Cannot wait for the Virtual Console!!!! All those SNES and N64 games will make a big dent (hopefully not) in my finances.

for those of you that were born yesterday or live under a rock, heres is a sound fx synthesiser for super mario bros. It downloads to temp files (i think). Ahh the nostalgia

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/01/28/super-mario-bros-super-synth/

Edit-heres an online version so you dont have to install anything

http://octorok.iguniverse.com/smbs.htm

Thank you for posting this, its gonna bring back alot of memories. And about story, I think it adds to the game. Think of Resi without the story. But I like platformers like my slasher films, all guts. On a side note, Zelda never really has much story to it but could you imagine it without?

Theres a lack of fake mock-ups of M128 but i did run across these. Interestingly enough they were posted on

3/3/05 (my b-day) way before the controller was revealed but yet this lakitu fishing segment has the controller written all over it.

48012.jpg

48014.jpg

48013.jpg

40036.jpg

There's no chance whatsoever that the new Mario game wont use the Rev control, it's basically confirmed right from the beginning. To be honest though, I have a funny feeling it wont use the analogue nunchuk either, just the main controller. Remember, Nintendo are really trying to enforce the idea of being able to play with one hand to bring in non-gamers, so plenty of their games will have one handed control only. Since Mario is one of, if not their biggest franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of these games.

In other words, this game will be completely different from any other Mario. One handed traditional 3d gameplay could still be possible though I think, it'd be as simple as pressing on the d-pad to run forward and moving the control slightly to change directions. Probably hard to get used to, but it'd work none the less.