NEurope
nekunando

Your 2016 Gaming Diary

Card City Nights

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

_rGCI0TrfFYfgQTcEh3qOn9Slemkdf0vyBC7m_OCyn5z--pWlElfb3lA_lE2eVkpKcU=h900

A regular match looks like this

I honestly can't remember where I first heard of this game. Might've been some random Youtube video. Anyway, I wanted something to kill some time, and a card game is right up my alley.

Unfortunately, it falls short from the level of depth of Pokémon TCG, or even from the numerous Yu-Gi-Oh videogame adaptations. The rules are somewhat rigid (for example, very few ways to draw extra cards), and the basic strategy of "Attack" is not only the best strategy possible, it's by far the most fun.

The game itself is fine (and there are perks. The fact that each match is a "Best of 3/5" is great stuff), but it kinda needs an expansion. I'm sure a more balanced meta-game could be found from an actual dedicated multiplayer (I don't think there is one yet), but as a Single-Player game, it needs more fun options.

It's also very, very short. There are no challenges or puzzles besides the achievements, cutting its replayability short. And there's no in-game card list, so I can't even properly collect all the cards.

The flavour surrounding the game is pretty silly. The plot is generic "gather the legendary cards and defeat the champion" stuff, but it's very self-aware. The characters depicted in the cards look like a bizarre bunch, but this is because they're all references to other games made by the Swedish developer, Ludosity (their portfolio consists of other small mobile-type games). The jazzy & funky soundtrack is also surprisingly good.

It's certainly worth the 1,20€, but it's a shame to see untapped potential. But who knows, the developer might still revisit this.

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Freedom Planet (2014) Beaten (Last played: 15th March)

-Rayman Forever (1995) Completed (3rd May)

-Deponia: The Complete Journey (2012-2013) Completed (14th May)

-Blocks that Matter (2011) Completed (25th May)

-Sonic Spinball (1993) Beaten (19th June)

-Card City Nights (2014) Completed (1st July)

Currently Playing:

-Little Big Adventure

-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Edited by Jonnas

Finally got around to playing Day of the Tentacle: Remastered.

I loved all these point and click games when they came out in the 90s, glad they're sort of making a comeback now.

Love the humour in these - all the Lucasarts games of the time really - hopefully we get more re-releases.

Had to use a guide for some of the more obscure trophies - still managed to solve the puzzles on my own though :)

Another platinum for this years list

Also managed to complete the story and most of the trophies on Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - the expansion to The New Order. It's another great old school shooter, I don't think it's quite as good as The New Order was, but I still really enjoyed it - think I'll be looking into picking up Doom shortly (I know it's a different developer)

Just have the Challenge trophies to do for the platinum which are slightly annoying so I think I'll play something else and come back to them :)

100%/Platinum

The Talos Principle

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Life is Strange

Firewatch

Teslagrad

Lego Jurassic Park

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Day of the Tentacle: Remastered

Completed

Transformers: Devastation

The Division

WWE 2K16

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Finally got around to playing Day of the Tentacle: Remastered.

I loved all these point and click games when they came out in the 90s, glad they're sort of making a comeback now.

Love the humour in these - all the Lucasarts games of the time really - hopefully we get more re-releases.

Had to use a guide for some of the more obscure trophies - still managed to solve the puzzles on my own though :)

Another platinum for this years list

Also managed to complete the story and most of the trophies on Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - the expansion to The New Order. It's another great old school shooter, I don't think it's quite as good as The New Order was, but I still really enjoyed it - think I'll be looking into picking up Doom shortly (I know it's a different developer)

Just have the Challenge trophies to do for the platinum which are slightly annoying so I think I'll play something else and come back to them :)

100%/Platinum

The Talos Principle

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Life is Strange

Firewatch

Teslagrad

Lego Jurassic Park

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Day of the Tentacle: Remastered

Completed

Transformers: Devastation

The Division

WWE 2K16

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Yeah, they require a little trial and error. I watched a few videos for each level to see how best to tackle them. Some of them are pretty easy but then you some where the score needed is incredibly tight.

We need to set up a boosting session sometime to knockout that rogue trophy for The Division. I want that platinum done and out the way! :D

Started and platinumed Pac-Man (PS4) last night. I snapped it up, along with Ms Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug, as they were all on sale. Nothing really to say about it, I mean....it's Pac-Man. ::shrug::laughing:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Yeah, they require a little trial and error. I watched a few videos for each level to see how best to tackle them. Some of them are pretty easy but then you some where the score needed is incredibly tight.

We need to set up a boosting session sometime to knockout that rogue trophy for The Division. I want that platinum done and out the way! :D

Started and platinumed Pac-Man (PS4) last night. I snapped it up, along with Ms Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug, as they were all on sale. Nothing really to say about it, I mean....it's Pac-Man. ::shrug::laughing:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Having purchased it recently within the last 20 minutes of it being on sale on the Nintendo eShop, I've just finished BOXBOY (3DS) :yay:

boxboy_3ds_eshop_screenshot_1.jpg

For me, the game provided a nice distraction for a few hours and I enjoyed working through each stage and collecting the crowns while watching TV :smile:

There wasn't much of a challenge until the bonus worlds were unlocked but I appreciated that the game didn't really punish you for experimenting with your options as checkpoints were very generous :hehe:

Despite liking the game, I don't feel myself walking away from it desperate for the sequel!

Anyway, we're just past the half way point of 2016 so I decided to go back through the thread and remind myself of what I've played so far : peace:

Spyro the Dragon (PS1)

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

Mario vs Donkey Kong (GBA [3DS Ambassador])

Kirby's Adventure (NES [Wii U VC])

Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny (PS2)

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)

Space Channel 5 (DC)

Wave Race: Blue Storm (GC) REPLAY

Power Stone (DC)

Mario Kart 8(Wii U)

ESPN International Track & Field (DC)

Skies of Arcadia (DC)

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker(DC)

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Wii U)

Life is Strange (PS3)

Rayman 2 (DC)

Starfox Zero (Wii U)

Beyond Good & Evil (GC)

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (GC)

Batallion Wars (GC)

Mario Kart 64 (N64 [Wii VC]) REPLAY

NBA Jam (Wii)

BOXBOY (3DS)

I currently feel like 2016 has been my 'Year of the Second Tier' with many of the games not being truly special but rather some that I have been enjoying clearing up after all this time :heh:

There are exceptions of course, most notably the excellent Starfox Zero, but the trend is likely to continue throughout the rest of the year. I'm currently making my way through a Nintendo 64 title so hopefully I'll be able to share the details of the completion of that soon :grin:

Having purchased it recently within the last 20 minutes of it being on sale on the Nintendo eShop, I've just finished BOXBOY (3DS) :yay:

boxboy_3ds_eshop_screenshot_1.jpg

For me, the game provided a nice distraction for a few hours and I enjoyed working through each stage and collecting the crowns while watching TV :smile:

There wasn't much of a challenge until the bonus worlds were unlocked but I appreciated that the game didn't really punish you for experimenting with your options as checkpoints were very generous :hehe:

Despite liking the game, I don't feel myself walking away from it desperate for the sequel!

Anyway, we're just past the half way point of 2016 so I decided to go back through the thread and remind myself of what I've played so far : peace:

Spyro the Dragon (PS1)

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

Mario vs Donkey Kong (GBA [3DS Ambassador])

Kirby's Adventure (NES [Wii U VC])

Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny (PS2)

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)

Space Channel 5 (DC)

Wave Race: Blue Storm (GC) REPLAY

Power Stone (DC)

Mario Kart 8(Wii U)

ESPN International Track & Field (DC)

Skies of Arcadia (DC)

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker(DC)

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Wii U)

Life is Strange (PS3)

Rayman 2 (DC)

Starfox Zero (Wii U)

Beyond Good & Evil (GC)

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (GC)

Batallion Wars (GC)

Mario Kart 64 (N64 [Wii VC]) REPLAY

NBA Jam (Wii)

BOXBOY (3DS)

I currently feel like 2016 has been my 'Year of the Second Tier' with many of the games not being truly special but rather some that I have been enjoying clearing up after all this time :heh:

There are exceptions of course, most notably the excellent Starfox Zero, but the trend is likely to continue throughout the rest of the year. I'm currently making my way through a Nintendo 64 title so hopefully I'll be able to share the details of the completion of that soon :grin:

Finally got round to playing Mini Metro which I've had in my Steam account for a while and holy shit, that game is delicious. Music, design, game play, simple yet astonishingly addictive. The perfect puzzle game. Apparently it's not on phone/tablets yet but they're still working on it and that version can't come soon enough.

Finally got round to playing Mini Metro which I've had in my Steam account for a while and holy shit, that game is delicious. Music, design, game play, simple yet astonishingly addictive. The perfect puzzle game. Apparently it's not on phone/tablets yet but they're still working on it and that version can't come soon enough.

[quote name='Hero-of-Time;1818044

Started and platinumed Pac-Man (PS4) last night. I snapped it up' date=' along with Ms Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug, as they were all on sale. Nothing really to say about it, I mean....it's Pac-Man. ::shrug::laughing:[/quote']

Hah, I bought Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man yesterday because I always wanted to play the classic games (only ever played a Pac-Man clone as a kid).

What are Galaga and Dig Dug about? :

They all have a platinum? Wow. Didn't expect that :D

[quote name='Hero-of-Time;1818044

Started and platinumed Pac-Man (PS4) last night. I snapped it up' date=' along with Ms Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug, as they were all on sale. Nothing really to say about it, I mean....it's Pac-Man. ::shrug::laughing:[/quote']

Hah, I bought Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man yesterday because I always wanted to play the classic games (only ever played a Pac-Man clone as a kid).

Galaga is a vertical shooter and Dig Dug you just dig. :D

Well, that's all I needed to know :D Bought them just now.

10€ for 4 games, two of them I know I'll enjoy and the other two I might like. : peace:

Well, that's all I needed to know :D Bought them just now.

10€ for 4 games, two of them I know I'll enjoy and the other two I might like. : peace:

I suspected an N64 title would have been my next completion but I actually had a serious urge to play one of my favourite platformers from my childhood, one that I'd actually never beat.. Mickey Mania (SNES) :hehe:

mickeymania-snesEU.jpg

I'm not sure if the game ever got particularly great acclaim, certainly not to the extent of something like Castle of Illusion, but Mickey Mania was always my favourite Mickey Mouse game as it looks great and was a lot of fun. To be honest, I still really enjoy it :grin:

I remember getting to the final boss a couple of times and failing in the past, only to be sent back to the very start of the game. We were obviously used to games doing that back then but it meant I never actually finished it! I put that right this morning and it feels great :yay:

I suspected an N64 title would have been my next completion but I actually had a serious urge to play one of my favourite platformers from my childhood, one that I'd actually never beat.. Mickey Mania (SNES) :hehe:

mickeymania-snesEU.jpg

I'm not sure if the game ever got particularly great acclaim, certainly not to the extent of something like Castle of Illusion, but Mickey Mania was always my favourite Mickey Mouse game as it looks great and was a lot of fun. To be honest, I still really enjoy it :grin:

I remember getting to the final boss a couple of times and failing in the past, only to be sent back to the very start of the game. We were obviously used to games doing that back then but it meant I never actually finished it! I put that right this morning and it feels great :yay:

Got my platinum on Wolfenstein, some of them were really annoying and then others just clicked :)

I'm up for the Division one whenever, just let me know

Got my platinum on Wolfenstein, some of them were really annoying and then others just clicked :)

Congrats!

Good stuff. It will probably be tonight or tomorrow. Josh will have internet access again from tonight, so it will certainly be done over the weekend.

Got the platinum on Ms Pac-Man (PS4) yesterday. I'm now currently working my way through Dig Dug (PS4). I've just two trophies left on that but they are a bit of a pain to nab.

Congrats!

Good stuff. It will probably be tonight or tomorrow. Josh will have internet access again from tonight, so it will certainly be done over the weekend.

Got the platinum on Ms Pac-Man (PS4) yesterday. I'm now currently working my way through Dig Dug (PS4). I've just two trophies left on that but they are a bit of a pain to nab.

I'm now currently working my way through Dig Dug (PS4). I've just two trophies left on that but they are a bit of a pain to nab.

I seem to remember that at least on the 360 version - so possibly the PS3 version as well - that the award for digging every piece of dirt in a stage is glitched... I have a feeling that I attempted that one for a while, thought I'd achieved it - there was nothing left on the screen aside from the moving sprites - but alas, no award. :hmm:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/dig-dug/achievement/363-Dig.html

Reading that achievement guide it seems you have to traverse the entire screen, so even after you've dug all the dirt, apparently you need to go around the outside edge of the screen counter-clockwise and clockwise and then die on that stage... it'd be best to leave just one Pooka instead of the Dragon chasing after you for obvious reasons. :D

So if one of the trophies is that one then just beware and best of luck! : peace:

Also, I've just realised these are actual PS4 versions of these arcade games so they may well have fixed the glitch... I may well buy these in the sale, I have until 12/07/16 I believe?

I'm now currently working my way through Dig Dug (PS4). I've just two trophies left on that but they are a bit of a pain to nab.

I seem to remember that at least on the 360 version - so possibly the PS3 version as well - that the award for digging every piece of dirt in a stage is glitched... I have a feeling that I attempted that one for a while, thought I'd achieved it - there was nothing left on the screen aside from the moving sprites - but alas, no award. :hmm:

Reading that achievement guide it seems you have to traverse the entire screen, so even after you've dug all the dirt, apparently you need to go around the outside edge of the screen counter-clockwise and clockwise and then die on that stage... it'd be best to leave just one Pooka instead of the Dragon chasing after you for obvious reasons. :D

So if one of the trophies is that one then just beware and best of luck! : peace:

Also, I've just realised these are actual PS4 versions of these arcade games so they may well have fixed the glitch... I may well buy these in the sale, I have until 12/07/16 I believe?

I got that one last night. :D

I also got it on the 360.

http://www.trueachievements.com/Dig-Dug/achievements.htm?gamerid=354194

I got that one last night. :D

I also got it on the 360.

http://www.trueachievements.com/Dig-Dug/achievements.htm?gamerid=354194