NEurope
Glen-i

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros

I don't remember the bosses battles being that long in Super Star Saga, Partners in Time or Bowser's Inside Story.

I don't remember the bosses battles being that long in Super Star Saga, Partners in Time or Bowser's Inside Story.

I seem to remember Dream Team's being longer. Still good games, though. This game missed the mark by not being a true clash of games, though. NSMB copy 'n' paste characters set was just...bland (just stop this, Nintendo). The game's good but the potential was massive. Partners should have played a role, even if just story characters. Also, the book itself should have had sections to play through...maybe get sucked into the book at certain sections to retrieve special items to solve normal world areas (in fact...perfect spot for partner characters! PM remembers a partner's abilities, you jump in the book, play trough a level and bring them back with you!)

You know, all this boss whining is starting to sound like the final boss from Partners In Time.

I swear, once I get this, if I blitz through them, I'm gonna be very disappointed in you.

Believe me...you WILL blitz it. I am not the greatest player and been ill a lot lately while playing and this on max diff. setting and just walked through this, in all honesty. It only took so long because of the huge break I took.

It DOES have that same annoying "if you want 100% you have to be God-like perfect" extra quests though, which will make you just throw the game away after rather than do them.

Nah, I think it must have been because I closed my 3DS a few times.

Wiggler is one of the bosses I had problems with as well.

Once he returns to normal, Kamek steps in and gives you one turn to knock him out otherwise he revives Wiggler and restores ~400HP! Felt like a total waste of time. Wiggler can easily knock out a Mario Bro. in one attack as well.

I pretty much had to repeat the battle 3 times because Kamek kept reviving Wiggler.

Pokey I had trouble with despite doing what the hints suggested by I couldn't stop him regenerating.

I just beat

Bowser Jr. and Paper Bowser Jr.

who can revive each other if one of them goes down first. Thankfully they weren't too tough.

I don't think it's a case of being under levelled, I haven't exactly been grinding but I haven't skipped fighting enemies, the bosses seem to be completely over powered and can easily steam roll you.

Granted I often screw up countering attacks which probably works against me. Some of these I find hard to read or the enemies/bosses don't telegraph them very well.

I'm very mixed on the game at the moment, stuff like the missions seems a little out of place, the Toad Hide-and-Seek got old the first time I had to do it. I don't think the writing is as funny as previous games, though it has gotten a few laughs out of me.

Saying that though, I was enjoying what I played today.

Are the Jumpman etc rank bonuses worth picking up? I got the one that boosts EXP if you use a muschroom which is helpful.

Totally on point about everything here. The Wiggler battle was an absolute joke of a fight for exactly the reasons you stated.

I've just faced the Chargin Chuck boss battle and it's the same issue. Whereas I don't think this was a very hard fight, it just dragged on and on. Wave after wave of new respawns just screams of padding.

The game itself screams of padding TBH. The Toad mini games were fun at first but now they feel like they've just been put in there to lengthen the game. Sometimes less is more.

As for my power ups, I've just reached level 21 and after grabbing the equipment bonuses I then went for more powerful attacks with Mario and Luigi and extra copies for Paper Mario.

My memories are a little fuzzy but I think what happened in Partners in Time was that I had a fairly length battle but lost it in the end and didn't have the desire to attempt it again :nono:

Wiggler wasn't so bad. Took me 10 minutes. While the 400 health thing was annoying, I noticed I didn't need to take down Wiggler from that. Kamek got in the way and kept getting hit, which caused it to die and then the battle was over.

My memories are a little fuzzy but I think what happened in Partners in Time was that I had a fairly length battle but lost it in the end and didn't have the desire to attempt it again :nono:

The final boss in that game was atrocious. I remember I was working 2-10 at the time and I didn't get to bed until early in the morning due to the lengthy build up and the battle itself. To be fair, that game as a whole wasn't great anyway.

Oh my goodness! I just had a boss battle which lasted less than 10 minutes!! What is this madness!? Long may it continue.

Little gutted I don't have the amiibo adaptor for the 3DS. I keep getting amiibo cards and not being able to do anything with them. I suppose I could flog them for some coins.

They're not. But Partners in Time has a final boss that most people think takes too long.

I think they just suck, because not once has it ever lasted more than 10-15 minutes, all three forms and cutscenes.

Bowser's Inside Story probably has the longest final boss out of those three, but that seems to get a free pass because of how cool that fight is.

They're not. But Partners in Time has a final boss that most people think takes too long.

I think they just suck..

They may not necessarily be long (I can't really remember anything about the game) but they certainly felt like a drag to me, along with large portions of the rest of the game :hmm:

Maybe if I had your pr0 skillz I'd have enjoyed it more but I guess Mario & Luigi just isn't for me!

Edited by nekunando

Close to the 20 hour mark now. Team is currently at level 31 and I'm heading back to Mount. Brr.

I'm starting to enjoy it a little more now. The game seems to have gotten easier as I've progressed. I guess this is due things like Beans being made available and more powerful cards being sold in shops. Usually games start off easy and then up the difficulty but this seems to do things the other way.

The writing can be both funny and annoying at the same time. I had some good laughs from Toadette and her references to Captain Toad but on the flip side I find it annoying how characters have to repeat what Mario and Luigi say due to them being silent. At times it feels like I'm playing Lassie: The Game.

A few on Gaf have pointed out how Luigi gets dragged through the mud in this game and he really does. Some of the stuff that is said to him is flat out harsh, with insults even coming from Peach. Stupid slag can't stop getting kidnapped so she has no right to say anything!

@Ike how's your adventure going?

@Ike how's your adventure going?

Just finished it. At my parents so I'll post some thoughts later.

Just finished it. At my parents so I'll post some thoughts later.

Nice one! :bowdown:

How long was on the clock and what level where your characters when you beat it? I'm just wondering how long I have left to go.

I'm currently running around Neo Bowser Castle at around the mid to high 30s.

Nice one! :bowdown:

How long was on the clock and what level where your characters when you beat it? I'm just wondering how long I have left to go.

I'm currently running around Neo Bowser Castle at around the mid to high 30s.

28 hours without collecting everything. Level 36. One of Paper Mario's rank bonuses allows you to copy and then let's you perform another action which is pretty nice if you ask me, might be worth considering.

Your on the final part of the game, but that area is longer than I expected.

There are some post game bosses I believe, not sure if I'll try them. Maybe I'll take a break first and do it later.

I think they just suck, because not once has it ever lasted more than 10-15 minutes, all three forms and cutscenes.

Bowser's Inside Story probably has the longest final boss out of those three, but that seems to get a free pass because of how cool that fight is.

I think most of these guys will be happy with the last boss on THIS game. Short and easy. Pathetic really... I was waiting for it to change form, have two or three forms. Something more. VERY disappointing.

I want MORE from these games (M&L/PM). I don't get why Nintendo had that big questionare to see what people wanted from the games. The only one they listened to was incorporating tutorials better. Hopefully by the NX's time Nintendo will be focusing on different Mario themes and not "NSMB Simple," whch will be when the next games come out.

28 hours without collecting everything. Level 36. One of Paper Mario's rank bonuses allows you to copy and then let's you perform another action which is pretty nice if you ask me, might be worth considering.

Your on the final part of the game, but that area is longer than I expected.

There are some post game bosses I believe, not sure if I'll try them. Maybe I'll take a break first and do it later.

Thanks for this.

I doubt I'll touch the extra stuff. I haven't enjoyed the game enough to warrant putting in the extra time to fight the post game bosses. Once the credits roll I'll be a happy chappy.

The game has taken a sharp spike in the difficulty shizzle. Going down Mount Brr to use the medallion the Paper Pirahna Plants were a surprise in how much damage they could cause. Tried my luck against two more Koopalings last night but got shafted in a couple of turns and got tired :( [was late though]

The game has taken a sharp spike in the difficulty shizzle. Going down Mount Brr to use the medallion the Paper Pirahna Plants were a surprise in how much damage they could cause. Tried my luck against two more Koopalings last night but got shafted in a couple of turns and got tired :( [was late though]

The random shiny paper enemies are what keep doing me in. Was against some shiny Paper Dry Bones. They destroyed me

The random shiny paper enemies are what keep doing me in. Was against some shiny Paper Dry Bones. They destroyed me

I got a shiny Pirahna Plant too, didn't really know what it was to begin with, seemed to attack more often than its regular paper version.

Sometimes I find it's better to leave the Bros. knocked out and let Paper Mario do his shizzle. He's about half a level ahead because of this.

I got a shiny Pirahna Plant too, didn't really know what it was to begin with, seemed to attack more often than its regular paper version.

Yeah, they have a higher attack power and more HP. They do dish out more exp though, so its not all bad.

Totally happened to me, too. Their ability to resurrect their corpses after every turn, made that fight more of slog than the bosses before them. No problems with any of the bosses, just the shinies.

Yeah, they have a higher attack power and more HP. They do dish out more exp though, so its not all bad.

And the shiny cards that require less star points to use.

And the shiny cards that require less star points to use.

As well as level 2 amiibo cards. I think they sell for 800 coins. Not that money was really an issue in the game but they can be a good source of cash if you aren't using amiibo.

Tried my luck against two more Koopalings last night but got shafted in a couple of turns and got tired :( [was late though]

Had another bash at this today, the muscle memory to avoid the attacks appeared out of nowhere. They didn't get enough Dark Stars to use their cards and I just pounded away with Bros. Attacks.

Then just breezed my way on to the next papercraft battle.

As well as level 2 amiibo cards. I think they sell for 800 coins. Not that money was really an issue in the game but they can be a good source of cash if you aren't using amiibo.

Those final items are utter bastards to buy, though. Not that you even need them at that point. LOL I guess maybe for the super bosses in the arcade?

I just continue to play every few days to get the remaining extras. Got to final rank yesterday.

Just finished the game. Great fun :)

Any post-game or is that it? I can't see any at quick glance.