NEurope
Glen-i

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros

New Japanese trailer, goes over the new battle system and some of Paper Mario's moves. Looks boss!

The battle cards look like a pretty cool mechanic and I like the idea of the overlapping paper characters in battle. Amiibo can also be used to activate special battle cards in battle it seems.

Looks like this game focuses just on Mushroom Kingdom characters this time (just like Paper Mario Sticker Star). Didn't see a single non-Mario character, but on the other hand... KOOPALINGS ARE IN!!! :D

Oh and Nabbit too ;)

I do hope that there's more focus on platforming/action based gameplay outside of battle this time, as this trailer seems to hint towards. I'm playing Dream Team at the moment and I am kind of pining for more involved gameplay outside of the battles!

Edited by Dcubed

KOOPALINGS!!!

Hype increased by 10'000%!

Great to see Nabbit, too, but he's a bit overshadowed now. :heh:

Looks like this game focuses just on Mushroom Kingdom characters this time (just like Paper Mario Sticker Star). Didn't see a single non-Mario character, but on the other hand... KOOPALINGS ARE IN!!! :D

Shame, but I'll give it a pass....

I've always thought the strength of these series came from exploring new and crazy worlds like in The Thousand Year Door and Superstar Saga.

Rogueport and its world along with the Bean Bean Kingdom are still some of my favourite worlds I have had the pleasure of exploring.

We know the Mushroom Kingdom like the back of our hands since we get to enjoy that world in most mainline Mario games...

Why not use that creative freedom to explore something other than the Mushroom Kingdom again for a change....I loved the quirky dimensions in Super Paper Mario as well, very creative indeed.

Shame, but I'll give it a pass....

I've always thought the strength of these series came from exploring new and crazy worlds like in The Thousand Year Door and Superstar Saga.

Rogueport and its world along with the Bean Bean Kingdom are still some of my favourite worlds I have had the pleasure of exploring.

We know the Mushroom Kingdom like the back of our hands since we get to enjoy that world in most mainline Mario games...

Why not use that creative freedom to explore something other than the Mushroom Kingdom again for a change....I loved the quirky dimensions in Super Paper Mario as well, very creative indeed.

You make it sound as if every interpretation of the Mushroom Kingdom has been exactly the same in all its games.

And you're forgetting Dream Team takes place at a place called Pill'o Island.

Only 5 Mario RPG's take place in the Mushroom Kingdom. Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Partners in Time (That takes place mostly in the past though), Bowser's Inside Story and Sticker Star.

In fact, I wouldn't even count Sticker Star as a Mario RPG, that's more of an adventure game.

Even if you do count Sticker Star, it's just over half of the games. Not that big a deal yet.

I think the problem is that like me, @Fused King can't help but compare every Mario RPG to the high standards set by Paper Mario The Thoousand Year Door because arguably overall it hasn't been surpassed, in fairness I don't think it ever will be though.

That's not to say that I'd instantly dismiss all other Mario RPG's but... recently I haven't felt the need to rush out and buy many of the newer titles from DS and onward, in fact in some cases the VC re-releases will be my first time trying some of them out.

Anyway, so long as the game is good that's the main thing but I get the point that sometimes the best examples turn out to be the RPG's which have completely new settings as sometimes they can allow for greater creative scope, other times the developers manage to work very well with what they are given though so credit to them either way. : peace:

I put a few hours into this last night ( Shopto FTW! ) and have enjoyed what i've played so far. I never played Dream Team, due to all negative reviews/impressions, so this feels very new to me.

The humour is typically on point. There were a few times where I have found myself laughing away at the dialogue. The two Bowsers bickering has been great to watch. While it's been great having the game early, it's been a bit of a bummer that I couldn't record some of the hilarious moment due to Miiverse not being up yet. :(

When both Bowsers attack the castle and go to kidnap the Princess Peach, they both look at each other and say " I guess it's that time again ".

:D

Another example of my laughing was when the princesses are trapped in a cage. 3D Peach is wondering how to get out of the cage and then the 2D princess simply walks through the bars of the 3D cage. I laughed way harder than I should at that.

The battle system is the same as previous games and I was happy to see that many of the tutorials were optional. It meant I could get straight into the action and only look up the new things that crop up.

I've had a battle using the Papercraft Mario. This was pretty fun. You have to dash into the enemies either before they do a dash or from behind them. This causes them to topple and then you can throw your papercraft giant at the fallen enemy. You then have to quickly scamper to pick him up and start the process again. However, you have an energy gauge, which means you can't constantly keep attacking. To refill it you need to stand on a special spot and do a very simplistic rhythm game.

The first boss fight in the game was quite fun, as well. There's the usual attacking going that you do in a normal fight but then there's also a little mini game in between. It's kept the battle feeling fresh.

Speaking of mini games, I've had a few that require you to find hidden Paper Toads. There's a Lakitu building that offers to help find missing Toads. You pay them a fee, they find the location of them and then you get transported to the area they are hiding. You then have the task of finding or chasing down these missing toads. It's a fun little distraction.

Honestly, it feels good to play a charming Nintendo game again. I've seen a lot of people claiming this is a filler title ( probably due to using assets from Sticker Star and Dream Team ) but it certainly doesn't feel like one. I've brought my 3DS to work with me so I can continue my adventure during my lunch break.

Glad to see you're enjoying it so far, @Hero\-of\-Time.

I found Dream Team to be great fun, then again, I'm not annoyed by tutorials.

So I'm definitely looking forward to this!

I get the feeling my mum is planning on getting me this for Christmas, (She's not very subtle at finding out what I want) so I'm having to wait to get it.

I put a few hours into this last night ( Shopto FTW! ) and have enjoyed what i've played so far. I never played Dream Team, due to all negative reviews/impressions, so this feels very new to me.

The humour is typically on point. There were a few times where I have found myself laughing away at the dialogue. The two Bowsers bickering has been great to watch. While it's been great having the game early, it's been a bit of a bummer that I couldn't record some of the hilarious moment due to Miiverse not being up yet. :(

When both Bowsers attack the castle and go to kidnap the Princess Peach, they both look at each other and say " I guess it's that time again ".

:D

Another example of my laughing was when the princesses are trapped in a cage. 3D Peach is wondering how to get out of the cage and then the 2D princess simply walks through the bars of the 3D cage. I laughed way harder than I should at that.

The battle system is the same as previous games and I was happy to see that many of the tutorials were optional. It meant I could get straight into the action and only look up the new things that crop up.

I've had a battle using the Papercraft Mario. This was pretty fun. You have to dash into the enemies either before they do a dash or from behind them. This causes them to topple and then you can throw your papercraft giant at the fallen enemy. You then have to quickly scamper to pick him up and start the process again. However, you have an energy gauge, which means you can't constantly keep attacking. To refill it you need to stand on a special spot and do a very simplistic rhythm game.

The first boss fight in the game was quite fun, as well. There's the usual attacking going that you do in a normal fight but then there's also a little mini game in between. It's kept the battle feeling fresh.

Speaking of mini games, I've had a few that require you to find hidden Paper Toads. There's a Lakitu building that offers to help find missing Toads. You pay them a fee, they find the location of them and then you get transported to the area they are hiding. You then have the task of finding or chasing down these missing toads. It's a fun little distraction.

Honestly, it feels good to play a charming Nintendo game again. I've seen a lot of people claiming this is a filler title ( probably due to using assets from Sticker Star and Dream Team ) but it certainly doesn't feel like one. I've brought my 3DS to work with me so I can continue my adventure during my lunch break.

Dream Team was excellent. The tutorials YES were an utter nuisance, and the game babying you with non-stop explanation certainly caused slow points, but overall was just as good as the others. It's no PM TTYD, but then what is? I'd pick it up after this if I were you.

Aaaaargh...where's my copy of this?!

You know, Dream Team gets a lot more flak than it deserves. Get past the tutorials and you'll find the toughest M&L game to date. (Not counting Paper Jam, because I haven't played it.) Mess up on some of the later bosses and you are going to be smacked across the face, hard.

@Dcubed is playing through that currently, and he's died a few times on it. Much to his surprise.

People calling it cheap because it reuses the Dream Team engine are idiots. Where were these people when Bowser's Inside Story came out? It's the same thing!

Or what about games like Majora's Mask or Spirit Tracks? Same thing again!

Or even games like Gears of War 2 and 3, or Metroid Prime 2 and 3, or Uncharted 2 and 3. They're all using enhanced versions of the same engines as their predecessors and tons of assets from them as well. Why WOULDNT you re-use them if you can?

You know, Dream Team gets a lot more flak than it deserves. Get past the tutorials and you'll find the toughest M&L game to date. (Not counting Paper Jam, because I haven't played it.) Mess up on some of the later bosses and you are going to be smacked across the face, hard.

@Dcubed is playing through that currently, and he's died a few times on it. Much to his surprise.

Yup. Dream Team does not mess around at all! It gets face punchingly hard very quickly!

I take some issues with the game (mainly with the lack of platforming challenges, slow pace and the very easy puzzles) but the battle system and the battle difficulty is not one of them!

Edited by Dcubed

Are the boss battles in this meant to take forever or am I just terrible at this?

Are the boss battles in this meant to take forever or am I just terrible at this?

This is exactly why I stopped playing it. It's a common complaint that I've seen across multiple forums. They feel like a massive endurance test and they killed the enjoyment out of the game for me.

Just got it, only a couple of hours in but enjoying it so far :)

Will see about those boss battles. Just had the first Papercraft battle though.

boss battles do certainly feel on the long side in this game.

Just finished this a few hours ago after taking a break (started trying to do all "extras" and some were bugging me, then Christmas took over and it's been at least a week...) No idea if I'll go for everything. Just challenge list, two blocks missing, some expensive items to buy, last rank/levels, arcade stuff and full card list (shiny card hunting sounds like a time gobbling up hell...) I'll probably do everything but the shiny card hunt and the hard arcade stuff.

I wouldn't say the bosees are endurance tests, if anything they're shorter and easier than the previous two games. So don't really see that... I mean they ARE bosses after all and are meant to be a challenge (maybe you guys are under-levelled or using the wrong moves?)

But then again gamefaqs is full of people who found the game too hard (certain bits) even on EASY. Players today, eh? I guess if you've played previous games you'll already be an expert on a big percentage of moves...and the only way I could see anyone finding it hard or bosses an endurance is if this is their first one and zero clue what to do. If so...always train your moves.

HINTS/TIPS

Also...Koopalings bosses. Concentrate on KO'ing one of them, then the other switches to wand super magic attacks which you can counter for huuuuuge damage and take them out in a hit or two.

Cards will make the game much, much easier (especially bosses) so don't be afraid to buy some god ones at stores. Certain shiny paper enemies drop shiny version of cards so don't be afraid to spam paper enemies to get good ones. No idea about Amiibo cards as I don't have any.

Personally I used all my early rank bonuses on Gear Slots. Then Extra Copies for Paper Mario. Later on Counterattack 200% is great and if you're good will help do massive damage. If anyting, even early on a huge chunk of your damage should be coming from counters. Pretty much all of the "bonus stat at level up" are useless as the stat up is so minor by the time it equates to much...the game is over.

Beans...gotta eat 'em all! Paper Mario has the lowest HP but since he is usually protected by copies it's pretty much a waste to give him the HP beans. Give BP ones to whoevers BP you use the most and run out of of (unlikely, but syrups/candies are common).

Moves. Yes there's flashy ones. But c'mon, there's a really good chance of cocking some up and then you don't do much... Luigi's Drill is great even until the end, Mario's Chainball is excellent, too. They're both quick use, too. If you're crap at the long, big flashy moves...just don't use them. All you'll do is likely fail, waste time, effort, bp and turns...to do the same damage you could have done with something that used less bp and was quick 'n' easy.

There's a certain item you can buy with challenge points at stores that gives Paper Mario a one copy refill each turn...very useful early on will save you wasting turns using copy.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

20 minutes! 20 freaking minutes on a single boss battle. I was level 16, used cards, items and special moves, yet it still took 20 minutes to defeat Wiggler. Absolutely shocking amount of HP. This game seriously annoys me. :mad:

@Ike how are you getting on? I noticed you're playing at the moment. You having connection issues? You keep signing in and out of your 3DS.

You know, all this boss whining is starting to sound like the final boss from Partners In Time.

I swear, once I get this, if I blitz through them, I'm gonna be very disappointed in you.

You know, all this boss whining is starting to sound like the final boss from Partners In Time.

I swear, once I get this, if I blitz through them, I'm gonna be very disappointed in you.

Bully for you if you blitz them. I couldn't give a toss if you're disappointed in me or not.

20 minutes! 20 freaking minutes on a single boss battle. I was level 16, used cards, items and special moves, yet it still took 20 minutes to defeat Wiggler. Absolutely shocking amount of HP. This game seriously annoys me. :mad:

@Ike how are you getting on? I noticed you're playing at the moment. You having connection issues? You keep signing in and out of your 3DS.

Nah, I think it must have been because I closed my 3DS a few times.

Wiggler is one of the bosses I had problems with as well.

Once he returns to normal, Kamek steps in and gives you one turn to knock him out otherwise he revives Wiggler and restores ~400HP! Felt like a total waste of time. Wiggler can easily knock out a Mario Bro. in one attack as well.

I pretty much had to repeat the battle 3 times because Kamek kept reviving Wiggler.

Pokey I had trouble with despite doing what the hints suggested by I couldn't stop him regenerating.

I just beat

Bowser Jr. and Paper Bowser Jr.

who can revive each other if one of them goes down first. Thankfully they weren't too tough.

I don't think it's a case of being under levelled, I haven't exactly been grinding but I haven't skipped fighting enemies, the bosses seem to be completely over powered and can easily steam roll you.

Granted I often screw up countering attacks which probably works against me. Some of these I find hard to read or the enemies/bosses don't telegraph them very well.

I'm very mixed on the game at the moment, stuff like the missions seems a little out of place, the Toad Hide-and-Seek got old the first time I had to do it. I don't think the writing is as funny as previous games, though it has gotten a few laughs out of me.

Saying that though, I was enjoying what I played today.

Are the Jumpman etc rank bonuses worth picking up? I got the one that boosts EXP if you use a muschroom which is helpful.

Partners in Time is my only experience with the Mario & Luigi series. I traded it in long before I ever finished it as I wasn't enjoying it anywhere near as much as Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and found that some of the bosses were taking forever and I just couldn't be bothered with it as it wasn't fun :hmm:

Likewise, in the most recent Paper Mario game, Sticker Star on 3DS, the final battle in particular was a disgrace. I had looked up a strategy online on how to beat the boss and it was still a massive struggle. Never again :nono:

With all that in mind, I was always apprehensive about getting Paper Jam. Given some of the frustrations several of you are having, it doesn't look like I'll ever bother with it. I'm more inclined to return to the N64 version on the Wii VC to finish off the last few chapters as I'll likely enjoy that a lot more :smile: