NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Could the NX be advertised and classed as the "Ultimate Nintendo Console"?

Of course they can have clickable analogue sticks while having two screen and clamshell. Don't be silly.

They'd be making a massive mistake if they drop the two screen format.

Am I the only person that would rather they focus on the future than being able to retrofit their previous consoles, particularly those still readily available on the market?

That's what they are doing. Relax :p

Of course they can have clickable analogue sticks while having two screen and clamshell. Don't be silly.

They'd be making a massive mistake if they drop the two screen format

How? Why do you think they came up with the Circle Pad design in the first place? (The answer is because it's flat/non protruding BTW, which means that it can't be pushed in ;) )

Plus the whole separating screens is kind of a huge deal that can't be designed around...

No. If the NX handheld is capable of running certain Wii U games in 480p, it'll only be select ones which support Off TV play and don't really take advantage of the Gamepad's unique functionality/design at all like DKCTF, most 3rd party titles or Hyrule Warriors (well, outside of the co-op mode for the latter, which wouldn't be accessible anyway since you wouldn't be actually able to connect a Wii U Pro Controller to the handheld :p)

Edited by Dcubed

They'd be making a massive mistake if they drop the two screen format.

That's what they are doing. Relax :p

Everyone is talking about wanting a giant back catalogue on it. I'm happy with none.

Everyone is talking about wanting a giant back catalogue on it. I'm happy with none.

Just with the Virtual Console so far. No concessions have to be made for it based on what they've said.

My view of the new system is to leave everything in the past and start afresh.

How many times do you need to play and pay for Mario 64?*

We wouldn't have such cravings if Nintendo just did the obvious thing and make games of that calibre. I think all these remixes of old games just take away resources from the development of new ones.

Ditch all the wiimotes, nunchuks, classic controllers, GC adaptor, gamepad mess - and build a traditional machine dedicated to new experiences, cost effectiveness and online gaming.

The obvious key to success here is third party support. Build better relations, seek contractual ties etc - build a machine that can simply explain why its worth developing games for (something the Wii U and its gamepad could never do). No level of backward compatibility or built-in VC will be as potent as this.

(*Was there a single Snes remake/remix on the N64?)

Just with the Virtual Console so far. No concessions have to be made for it based on what they've said.

Arguably, designing it to absorb the Wii U architecture could be seen as a concession. If they were starting afresh, they could use PC architecture, which in theory could be easier to develop for and encourage multiplatform games that have been designed for exactly the same architecture.

I don't have a strong opinion about it, but focusing on the past does have the potential to be a constraint.

Arguably, designing it to absorb the Wii U architecture could be seen as a concession. If they were starting afresh, they could use PC architecture, which in theory could be easier to develop for and encourage multiplatform games that have been designed for exactly the same architecture.

I don't have a strong opinion about it, but focusing on the past does have the potential to be a constraint.

But having to design and work around a very unfamiliar architecture to them is another constraint that would screw them over.

My view of the new system is to leave everything in the past and start afresh.

How many times do you need to play and pay for Mario 64?*

We wouldn't have such cravings if Nintendo just did the obvious thing and make games of that calibre. I think all these remixes of old games just take away resources from the development of new ones.

Ditch all the wiimotes, nunchuks, classic controllers, GC adaptor, gamepad mess - and build a traditional machine dedicated to new experiences, cost effectiveness and online gaming.

The obvious key to success here is third party support. Build better relations, seek contractual ties etc - build a machine that can simply explain why its worth developing games for (something the Wii U and its gamepad could never do). No level of backward compatibility or built-in VC will be as potent as this.

(*Was there a single Snes remake/remix on the N64?)

I don't agree with your last bit, but the first bit it crazy talk. I think a lot of people do care about their old games. I really don't understand peoples problems with it.... the idea is it'll just be the games we already own and not buying it "again"... And it' additional. Virtual Console has no bearing whatsoever on new titles or such, there is no correlation, getting virtual console games isn't the reason of no 3rd party support or whatever...

This forum confuses me... People praise Sony for re-releasing 3 year old games as their main releases. Nintendo release 20 year old games as additional extras and people have a bit of a go at them about it...

If I buy an NX and can play my Virtual Console games right out the gate that would be utterly incredible. Any other opinion is demented!

NINTENDO is definitely riding the nostalgia like never before, but with such a great library of classics who could blame them?

They should make sure a considerable amount of care goes into making their back catalog available to newer generations, but I would agree that NINTENDO ought to continue to focus on great new experiences both in the triple A sense of the word as in the crazy 'gimmick' sense of the word.

If NINTENDO wants to cater to kids again, they need that new line of classics.

The gaming landscape has vastly changed however, and kids usually go for the more edgy stuff like GTA or Tekken or Battlefield.

Heck, now that I think about it, I know I did before I switched to NINTENDO.

Anyways, my view:

30% back catalog preservation/emulation

40% Triple A type of experiences and smaller projects

20% Crazy Gimmick shizzle

10% Pure Mario

We've all seen handhelds (and Gamepads) hooked up to home consoles in the past. Who's to say having the same architecture in the handheld and home console will be a good thing.

Sounds to me like they'll be releasing another underpowered machine with a gimmick. Third in a row.

We've all seen handhelds (and Gamepads) hooked up to home consoles in the past. Who's to say having the same architecture in the handheld and home console will be a good thing.

Sounds to me like they'll be releasing another underpowered machine with a gimmick. Third in a row.

Just because it didn't work this time doesn't mean they shouldn't continue trying to release something big and new.

NINTENDO is definitely riding the nostalgia like never before, but with such a great library of classics who could blame them?

They should make sure a considerable amount of care goes into making their back catalog available to newer generations, but I would agree that NINTENDO ought to continue to focus on great new experiences both in the triple A sense of the word as in the crazy 'gimmick' sense of the word.

If NINTENDO wants to cater to kids again, they need that new line of classics.

The gaming landscape has vastly changed however, and kids usually go for the more edgy stuff like GTA or Tekken or Battlefield.

Heck, now that I think about it, I know I did before I switched to NINTENDO.

Anyways, my view:

30% back catalog preservation/emulation

40% Triple A type of experiences and smaller projects

20% Crazy Gimmick shizzle

10% Pure Mario

To be fair, nobody is saying otherwise. All we're saying is that the Wii U is almost there as the "Nintendo Box" and that NX is likely to be due to statements from Iwata, and they can use that as A marketing point.

Nobody is suggesting that it should be the focus.

To be fair, nobody is saying otherwise. All we're saying is that the Wii U is almost there as the "Nintendo Box" and that NX is likely to be due to statements from Iwata, and they can use that as A marketing point.

Nobody is suggesting that it should be the focus.

I am aware of this.

I was merely speculating on the point that NINTENDO might make it a focus...

I am aware of this.

I was merely speculating on the point that NINTENDO might make it a focus...

I very much doubt they will. Their focus is on the future. It's a bit illogical to assume that they're going to focus on Virtual Console as a main part of the console.

I very much doubt they will. Their focus is on the future. It's a bit illogical to assume that they're going to focus on Virtual Console as a main part of the console.

Not a main part of course, but large enough to piss off a certain amount of people.

Not a main part of course, but large enough to piss off a certain amount of people.

Some people will be pissed off no matter what Nintendo does except release an upclocked PS4 :p

Am I the only person that would rather they focus on the future than being able to retrofit their previous consoles, particularly those still readily available on the market?

Nope, I too have been saying how I don't really care about/prioritise the ability to play VC games. I've replayed most of the greats now, and I seriously doubt this would have much of a draw for most gamers anyway.

The future for Nintendo is not in the past.

Some people will be pissed off no matter what Nintendo does except release an upclocked PS4 :p

hqdefault.jpg

This is also true.

If I buy an NX and can play my Virtual Console games right out the gate that would be utterly incredible. Any other opinion is demented!

...Why?

You've already played most of those games a decade ago, you bought them again on the Wii, probably bought a few for the Wii U - now you're excited at the thought of wanting these old games again?

Why? Why not bid for new games and new experiences?

It seems Nintendo already operate with limited resources, why waste any effort on VC, when that effort could be put to far better use in getting up to speed with other core functions of a console and of course, new games.

While the thought of playing personal classics, like: 1080, OOT and Mario 64 right out the box is a 'positive' thing, I just can't be arsed to invest time and money on these gems, again.

I just want Nintendo to move forward - re-create that level of mastery in game design for newer generations to experience.

The NX doesn't need other consoles classics to make it the ultimate Nintendo console - it just needs its own quality games.

Edited by King_V

...Why?

You've already played most of those games a decade ago, you bought them again on the Wii, probably bought a few for the Wii U - now you're excited at the thought of wanting these old games again?

It seems Nintendo already operate with limited resources, why waste any effort on VC, when that effort could be put to far better use in getting up to speed with other core functions of a console and of course, new games.

While the thought of playing personal classics, like: 1080, OOT and Mario 64 right out the box is a 'positive' thing, I just can't be arsed to invest time and money on these gems, again.

I just want Nintendo to move forward - re-create that level of mastery in game design for newer generations to experience.

You say that as if they either focus on new stuff or waste time. It doesn't work like that. It's different areas doing different things.

You say that as if they either focus on new stuff or waste time. It doesn't work like that. It's different areas doing different things.

I have no knowledge of the ins and outs of this stuff, but I can assume a team are being paid to implement this legacy stuff - Get rid of that team, and fund a team of Indie developers to bring out NEW stuff.

Something like that. :heh:

...Why?

The NX doesn't need other consoles classics to make it the ultimate Nintendo console - it just needs its own quality games.

Because I love playing old games. Other people do. Maybe new gamers will.

As for new games and new experiences.... Obviously. I really don't think virtual console has anything to do with new games or indies or anything.

Ultimately we're just saying two things, 1. It'll be amazing to have all the games we've already bought on the future systems 2. Adding ign the 3DS virtual console and adding new ones, it could end up being the machine with pretty much every single Nintendo gsme. That's an exciting proposition.

Because I love playing old games. Other people do. Maybe new gamers will.

As for new games and new experiences.... Obviously. I really don't think virtual console has anything to do with new games or indies or anything.

Ultimately we're just saying two things, 1. It'll be amazing to have all the games we've already bought on the future systems 2. Adding ign the 3DS virtual console and adding new ones, it could end up being the machine with pretty much every single Nintendo gsme. That's an exciting proposition.

I doubt vast amounts of new gamers fromt he PS3-PS4 era are willing to invest time in 16-64mb games no matter how great they are.

Don't wanna drag this on - you like what you like - I just want Nintendo to adopt a forward-thinking ethos, they have made all the mistakes in the world to hopefully have the ultimate solution now.

Not saying VC doesn't have its place - would make a great mid console life package or bonus disc material ala GC Wind Waker - But I would like everything from pre-launch to two years in to focus on new and various projects.

Well, it could actually be the ultimate Japanese gaming console!

When you look at Sega, Konami, Square-Enix and to a much lesser extent Capcom and Nintendo, the Japanese greats all seemed to have burnt brighter in previous generations.

Whereas I see Nintendo and Capcom still releasing big games and Nintendo still hitting the mark when it comes to quality, Konami and Sega have both totally gone into melt down and are shadows of their former selves. Square-Enix also have an incredible back catalogue and most of their 'greats' are from the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

This console could easily be the showcase for all the game we grew up with and memories of these Japanese software houses when they ruled the industry.

I've recently been playing a lot of old games. Super Castlevania, Castlevania, Dracula X, Super Probotector, Cybernator, Splatterhouse, Super R-Type, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Super Mario World, Mega Man 2... and they're all fantastic. In fact, when playing a game like Cybernator there's more challenge, variety and neat little touches than there is in most big releases today.

Gaming has lost something. I have played games like Assassins Creed. They aren't bad, but compared to those retro games they feel soulless. They almost feel like they were made on a production line.

So I'd be pretty hyped for a classic games service done on a £10 a month subscription fee.

But I still want the console to be able to play new Nintendo games - and new third party games. Whilst I love retro gaming, I still have great fun with new releases.

Sign in to follow this