N-Europe

Seriously messed up dream, does it mean something?

Guest Jordan

I can hardly remember any dreams I've had. I very occaisionally have a very vivid dreams though that I can remember everything from...

Ihave that, in fact a couple of days ago I had a fucked up one and was goin to tell my mate about it but when I got up to him my mind totally blanked and I cant remember the slightest thing about it since.

I've had a few freaky dreams some more disturbing then that, but i guess having your mum in there and your quite apparent love for her really startled you. I have had some pretty screwed up ones usually about my friends, mixed with some stuff of what i've watched during the day - usually an anime. But i think its in my dreams that i often find who i'm currently falling for, i think my dreams are a lot more honest then i could ever be when awake.

I had a dream I remembered this morning! Trouble is, now I can only remember that I could remember having the dream and not remember what was actually in the dream!

Edit:

Remembered it as soon as I hit post. It sucked, I was going on Work Experience again and the same old shitty place. My last dream was much better, I met a girl in the summer (in real life), then I met her again in that dream at the school Christmas dance :heh:

wow a weird dream?! NO FUCKING WAY MAN. THAT'S SO IRONIC.

Sorry, sorry. Yeah, dreams are never not weird. They just vary in coolness.

There are several explanations for dreaming according to my A-level training, either neuro-physiological or psychological. The neuro-physiological ones are, like Dawn said, just random firings of the brain while it does stuff - dreams are your brain making sense of it because, according to the theory, the brain has a quest for knowledge, a drive to understand everything. Hmm.

That's the activation synthesis theory. There's also the reverse-learning idea. We only remember between 5-15% of our dreams. The theory suggests that dreaming is the filing of memories and experiences, getting rid of unnecessary stuff - which explains why we don't remember all of our dreams.

The brain is almost just as active during the REM stage of sleep (stage 5) as it is when you're awake. Most dreams occur during this stage, but sometimes they occur during SWS - Short Wave sleep. This is the period of sleep where sleepwalkers get on up and boogie, because the nervous system is still fully functioning. The reason you can still have a conversation with a sleepwalker (or a sleeptalker) is because the body doesn't switch off it's input signals, it's supposed to switch off the output ones - the ones which make you move. This is to stop you acting out your dreams, but it doesn't happen quite during SWS.

You can influence people's dreams by talking to them during REM. It's cool.

The psychological theories are a little more interesting. Of course, Freud's top of the list with his Wish Fulfilment idea; your dreams are the acting out of what you wish was real - Freud came up with this theory when he dreamt that another doctor injected one of his patients (Irma i think?) with a dirty needle, which meant that it wasn't Freud's problem that she was crazy. Wish fulfilment!

Modern Dream dictionaries are exactly what freud hates. Although he believed that there were some universal symbols that occur in dreams, namely those of a phallic nature - riding horses, dancing, weilding swords, etc - most symbols in dreams are personal. Crawling through a tunnel may well be rebirth, but it might be linked to something the dreamer experienced once.

To understand this dream, Freud would be asking Jordan questions about his life rather than telling him what everythinig means. Problem was that Freud was notoriously hooked on sexual undertones on everything (but with jordan.. maybe it wouldn't be so wrong...)

There's also a couple of other theories, the problem solving one (sleeping on a problem, waking up knowing the answer - there's plenty of evidence to show that this is true), and the survival strategy theory - which is the idea that dreams are analysing your new experiences with old ones, attempting to work out what would be the best way to deal with similar experiences in the future. Of course, Freud's one is everyone's favourite.

Personally, I think it's likely to be a mixture of a few of them. But that's always going to be the case with a-level psychology theories.

... Sorry,but i've got an exam on monday on this stuff (as well as comparative and anti-/pro-social behaviour...) and wanted to see what i knew before i started revising this :P I don't think I did too bad. Perhaps I sent a few of you to sleep but hey, whatever. I think dreams like that are often fantasies about what a 'worst-case scenario' is for you. Don't worry about it. At least you're getting your REM sleep.

I had a "varied coolness" dream the other ngiht.

Id reamt i was talking to Sarka on msn and he told me the whole forum had voted me off and i had been banned :S

Emo you seem to know a lot about sleep

I forgot the dream i ahd last nghit, though i did remember it when i woke up and a couple of hours later