N-Europe

Puzzles & Dragons - Super Mario Edition

Serebii

This reminds me of Pokemon actually. X was my first (and only) game and while it was fun most of the time, it really started to get boring in the last few hours with the repetitive nature of the battles (or in this case, puzzles). I couldn't play another Pokemon after X, just like I probably couldn't play another P&D.

*ducks*

You would play one of the most mediocre ones.

Black/White blows it out of the water.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of Pokemon actually. X was my first (and only) game and while it was fun most of the time, it really started to get boring in the last few hours with the repetitive nature of the battles (or in this case, puzzles). I couldn't play another Pokemon after X, just like I probably couldn't play another P&D.

*ducks*

Damn shame that you picked X&Y as your first, cause that is my 2nd least favourite mainline game (Ruby/Sapphire is my worst).

B&W/B&W2 is infinitely superior! As is Gold/Silver.

Red/Blue and Diamond/Pearl are much better too!

Using Boo Mario and Boo Luigi really makes the game better. Kills choice somewhat (all my primary support and leaders are underlevelled now), but their abilities combined just make hits hit so hard. Almost at World 7 now because of that. All you need to do is match 3 different colours each turn and you'll get a 2.5x bonus followed by another 2.5x bonus

I thought @Glen\-i was just exaggerating, but yikes this makes it easier and, more importantly, more fun

Edited by Serebii

Yeah using Boo Mario and Boo Luigi basically made me want to finish the game, would have been too hard otherwise.

Speaking of which, just beat the final boss! Loads of post-game content though, which I won't be touching! Enjoyed the game a lot but I'm done now. I can't understand how people don't think strategy is involved in this. Anyway, great little title.

Yeah using Boo Mario and Boo Luigi basically made me want to finish the game, would have been too hard otherwise.

Speaking of which, just beat the final boss! Loads of post-game content though, which I won't be touching! Enjoyed the game a lot but I'm done now. I can't understand how people don't think strategy is involved in this. Anyway, great little title.

How did you get past Roy? He's being an utter bastard to me

How did you get past Roy? He's being an utter bastard to me

Roy's weird, you'll do barely any damage for 7 or 8 turns, then all of a sudden you'll string 5 or 6 nice combos together and his entire health will drop in one go. I think his defence stats are very high. I may have used a King Bill special to knock his defence out for 1 turn, but I don't think you need that to beat him.

It's bloody hard at points this game. Wish I'd started the Dragon one first. ALWAYS pay attention to what enemies are on the level at the preview as well as what orbs appear...it's as, if not more important than what orbs appear. Making sure to almost bring 100% whatever they're weak to rather than just a mix of available orb attributes is essential. Didn't do this at first since the first world is trashable with basically anything.

I can see myself end-gaming it, then giving up at frustration with post-game, then being tortured by my OCD for not "finishing it properly".

I fear Nintendo may backfire with this game. They put the Mario in to appeal to casuals, to garner a following of Puzzle Dragon players, but then made frustratingly hard in places...to the point a casual would pack it in. And Nintendo fans are almost 100% likely to choose to start Mario first...then get put off.

I was close to packing it in half way through until I started using Boo Mario as leader and Boo Luigi as helper. From then on the fun came from trying to do at least three combos at any one time. I also had a mix of every type in the level, didn't bother only taking ones that the enemies were weak to. But I agree the difficulty is way too severe for what should be a casual title. They could have easily ramped it up in the post-game worlds (which they still did :o)

I was close to packing it in half way through until I started using Boo Mario as leader and Boo Luigi as helper. From then on the fun came from trying to do at least three combos at any one time. I also had a mix of every type in the level, didn't bother only taking ones that the enemies were weak to. But I agree the difficulty is way too severe for what should be a casual title. They could have easily ramped it up in the post-game worlds (which they still did :o)

Yeah I was exactly the same and I seldom give up on games

It was the opposite in in the Puzzle and Dragons: Super Mario Bros Edition portion of Puzzle and Dragons Z + Puzzle and Dragons: Super Mario Bros Edition (lol), the end boss seemed a lot easier than some of the other battles up to that point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Seems that the update that was previously only announced for Japan has indeed been released worldwide!

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/249275-puzzle-dragons-z-puzzle-dragons-super-mario-bros-edition-u

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition – DLC Update – Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition includes two gigantic puzzle RPGs, which both use a unique drag-and-match style of game play. And now your Mushroom Kingdom experience expands even further with a downloadable update for the Super Mario Bros. Edition. This free update brings new Mario and Luigi Leaders, new Transformations and new Allies. You’ll also find updated Score Attack challenges that include online world rankings, new Free Challenges that let you pick your own team and game-play replays.

It's available now :)

I really enjoyed Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition. Looking forward to downloading the Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition DLC.

OH MY DAZE! Why are you not playing Z!?

You're interested in this, but won't play Z? You're nuts! NUTS!

If only this update made the damn game reasonable, I'm on World 5 star, and it's still bloody impossible!

• 9 months later...

Super boomp! I suddenly remembered this game existed, thought I'd look at prices and turned up a rather handy £10.95 delivered from TheGameCollection via eBay. Wish I'd bought it sooner really as I'd only have probably paid pounds of difference if that, prices haven't shifted too much. Got to thinking my 3DS has seen barely any action in the last year or so barring a Master Quest playthrough and a fair bit of Pokemon shuffling at the earlier part of the year - so I thought why not pick this up to get the full on Match 3 fix!!

@Glen\-i I presume you still stand by your advice of playing Z rather than Mario first? I'd obvs prefer the Mario brand side of things for familiarity etc, and I'd be tempted to go for it first at the odds of burning myself out(ha!) on the Z side and taking a break after, but I'll still take advice on board before it arrives! I played Puzzle Quest quite a bit, on DS iirc actually, and didn't get too worn out on grinding up as a Warrior there - so maybe I'll survive both of these.

EDIT: Gaaah bloody google shopping! It leaves out Argos for reasons I can't fathom! Cheaper by 96p there for a tenner - should have checked first, doh!

Edited by Rummy

@Glen\-i I presume you still stand by your advice of playing Z rather than Mario first? I'd obvs prefer the Mario brand side of things for familiarity etc, and I'd be tempted to go for it first at the odds of burning myself out(ha!) on the Z side and taking a break after, but I'll still take advice on board before it arrives! I played Puzzle Quest quite a bit, on DS iirc actually, and didn't get too worn out on grinding up as a Warrior there - so maybe I'll survive both of these.

Absolutely, it is far more beginner friendly and has a difficulty curve that is pretty much perfectly made. The game does get pretty tough towards the end, so it's definitely not too easy. The monsters in Z also don't take an eternity to level up unlike in Mario edition. So you have much more freedom to experiment with party setups.

It's also got a lot of neat little gameplay features going for it too. Sidequests, branching paths, optional tutorials showing you the basics of combos, etc.

The only downsides Z has compared to Mario is that there is a chance you might not like the cutscenes and might end up just mashing A to get through them. Personally, I enjoyed them, the story is a stupid concept and the game plays on how stupid it is.

The monsters also smack of "Pokemon knock-off" but it's kinda charming, and there's some "inspired" designs in there. The dragon with missile launchers all over it's body cracks me up everytime!

Mario Edition's only playing card is the familiarity of the series. It really should have been the beginner's Puzzle & Dragons, but it fails in that regard.

Absolutely, it is far more beginner friendly and has a difficulty curve that is pretty much perfectly made. The game does get pretty tough towards the end, so it's definitely not too easy. The monsters in Z also don't take an eternity to level up unlike in Mario edition. So you have much more freedom to experiment with party setups.

It's also got a lot of neat little gameplay features going for it too. Sidequests, branching paths, optional tutorials showing you the basics of combos, etc.

The only downsides Z has compared to Mario is that there is a chance you might not like the cutscenes and might end up just mashing A to get through them. Personally, I enjoyed them, the story is a stupid concept and the game plays on how stupid it is.

The monsters also smack of "Pokemon knock-off" but it's kinda charming, and there's some "inspired" designs in there. The dragon with missile launchers all over it's body cracks me up everytime!

Mario Edition's only playing card is the familiarity of the series. It really should have been the beginner's Puzzle & Dragons, but it fails in that regard.

Z sounds pretty cool/fun as you describe it. How much difference/similarity would you say there is in essence between the two other than what seems to be a difficulty curve?

Kinda sounds strange really that it ended up that way round(tho I'm going mostly on your opinion admittedly). I caved and just grabbed it in Argos earlier so I'll get the other eBay copy shifted once I have it; hopefully gonna check it out this eve as I have an hour or two to kill between work and popping out later! As said I have played Puzzle Quest before which could be a bit mean at times(though generally easy enough/grindable) but I'll take your advice on it and try and start out with Z over Mario later on; will let you know how I go!

Z sounds pretty cool/fun as you describe it. How much difference/similarity would you say there is in essence between the two other than what seems to be a difficulty curve?

There's 3 differences I'll mention.

The key difference is the way skills are handled.

So basically, in both games, each member of your team has a skill you can activate. There's a large variety, from changing the colour of orbs, to reducing damage you take, stuff like that.

In Z, you have a kind of SP bar that fills up as you clear orbs. Using any skill will deplete this bar. This bar is shared between everyone you're using, so you could use the same skill more than once in one turn.

In Mario edition, there is no SP bar. Instead, each individual character has a turn counter on their skill, once that amount of turns has passed, you can use that skill.

Z's system rewards skillful play (Or blind luck sometimes), so I feel like it's better implemented.

Another difference I'll mention is that the Mario edition has a RCV stat (affects how much health you recover when you clear hearts).

In Z, this is replaced with a DEF stat. (It's defense, you can figure out what it does)

And lastly, there's a lot of instances in Mario Edition where you're just flat out killed in one hit. There is a lives system in that game, you get a 1-up mushroom, and it lets you continue when you cop it. Unfortunately, this means that the best way to tackle a tough level is to grind lives, and that got tedious.

With Z, there are no extra lives, because of the aforementioned DEF stat, meaning you can mitigate damage if you so choose.

So I've cracked on a bit - gone with P&DZ as advised and not touched Mario yet. Can't say I'm feeling terribly challenged so far(died once in a special rune dungeon thingy) - think I just defeated the first big big boss thing otherwise. I haven't gone too heavy on DEF - though tbh I've always been a bit more offensive/recovery based than defensive so I'm quite happy seeing that sort of balance of option of the two so far. Some of the story/writing is fun, some very basic and pun based jokes but I'm a sucker for that so it's all good to me lol. Its Match 3 nature in that it isn't straight swaps is kinda cool and interesting, adds a little extra layer of depth/thought to it that I'm enjoying as I work out new things/tricks. It does sometimes feel kinda blind-luck-esque too though(not that I'm complaining).

Need to get my head around the levelling/upgrading a little bit more - just unlocked the third machine in the base but not played with it yet; might give me a few new thoughts to consider!

So I've cracked on a bit - gone with P&DZ as advised and not touched Mario yet. Can't say I'm feeling terribly challenged so far(died once in a special rune dungeon thingy) - think I just defeated the first big big boss thing otherwise. I haven't gone too heavy on DEF - though tbh I've always been a bit more offensive/recovery based than defensive so I'm quite happy seeing that sort of balance of option of the two so far. Some of the story/writing is fun, some very basic and pun based jokes but I'm a sucker for that so it's all good to me lol. Its Match 3 nature in that it isn't straight swaps is kinda cool and interesting, adds a little extra layer of depth/thought to it that I'm enjoying as I work out new things/tricks. It does sometimes feel kinda blind-luck-esque too though(not that I'm complaining).

Need to get my head around the levelling/upgrading a little bit more - just unlocked the third machine in the base but not played with it yet; might give me a few new thoughts to consider!

About halfway through is when I remember starting to die more often, then again, I tried to keep all my monsters around the same level. That might have something to do with it.

Yeah it ramped slightly as I continued after that post(doh!) but it's still not an exceptional challenge...yet. I haven't gone too deep down the stats etc - I'm mostly attempting to go for elemental advantage/balance, high attack, and leader skills that lend themselves to that too(for leader and helper, currently using an earth knight leader that boosts dragons, and stuck the dark, fire, water dragons in alongside some healing light animal thingy, think called Kururu?).

Need to get my head around this egg thingy too - I'm presuming the thing to do is hatch all ??? eggs but then use all eggs after than to boost monsters? Are there any secret egg combinations/types I should be aware of being better than others(maybe spoiler a response though, not sure if I want to know know yet)?

Need to get my head around this egg thingy too - I'm presuming the thing to do is hatch all ??? eggs but then use all eggs after than to boost monsters? Are there any secret egg combinations/types I should be aware of being better than others(maybe spoiler a response though, not sure if I want to know know yet)?

Yeah, pretty much. Use the doubles to boost your other monsters. But keep in mind that some monsters have multiple branches in their evolution chain, so sometimes it's nice to have more than one. Just in case.

As for any secret ones... I'm not sure you're gonna like this, but...

There's 5 pairs of monsters, that are pretty much palette swaps of each other, you'll know them when you see them. You get half of them through sidequests and the other half from the Z-Box on the far right of town.

They all have a level cap of 30 and can't evolve, so it's very easy to dismiss them as rubbish. At least that's what I did for a long time.

Turns out that if you trade (Yes, with another player) one of those monsters with it's palette swap, they fuse together into a monster that has two types, a level cap of 99, and pretty impressive stats!

Of course, you need another player. And you can't trade online.

Oh, and you might want to try talking to the girl at the reception counter on your Birthday and Christmas Day.

I see. It's certainly starting to ramp up - died twice earlier though can't really think why(wasn't giving play my full thought arguably). Does it matter what kind of egg you use to boost what kind of monster? I got some sort of HP bonus for a boost earlier and I presumed it was just a bit random but haven't really got enough to play about with to tell. Also so far I've tended to come across all side-questy items I needed in a silver chest or so as I played through, but I'm sure I've somehow missed one for a guy and I can't figure out how that happened. Will look into it in a bit more detail next time I go back to town and actually remember to do so.

Slightly regretting all my dragon evolutionary choices now too - didn't give their specials much consideration and they're basically just type boosts; not really all that when you're playing with a balanced team and feel it isn't worth the SP -.-