NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

N-Europe Reviews Smash Bros Online

When we reviewed Smash Bros the online mode wasn't available.

Now that it is and the game is in your sweaty palms, let us know what you think of the online functionality and we'll feature some of them in a community review of the game's online aspects.

My internet is currently dog slow (but finally stable after months of struggle thankfully!) so I'm probably not a good representation right now...

When my speed is back to normal though (~80 Mbps downstream ~25-30 Mbps upstream) I'll let you know.

Considering how solid the 3DS game's net code was though, I don't think there's much to worry about here :)

I'm not brilliant at Smash, and this is only the second in the series I have owned. However from my brief period online, I would have to say it is flawless. I haven't had a single problem. I am actually pretty shocked considering how much is going on and the speed it all moves!

In a couple of hours play I've had the tiniest of slowdown a couple of times. Can't fault it at all. Amazing!

Feels just like the 3DS version online to me, For Fun online with random people can be very laggy but For Glory 1 on 1 works well for the most part and playing with friends in the same continent is near lag free. Even when For Fun lags it's still a massive improvement over Brawl

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information. Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?

It still lags occasionally, but it feels worlds apart from the 3DS version.

I haven't had a single game that hasn't been full of lag and I'm on a 100mb connection :(

@The_Peeps: Wireless or wired connection to Wii U? The speed doesn't really matter to lag, unfortunately it's way more complicated.

I've experienced lag - both graphics-wise and input-lag. It isn't bad for the most part but noticeable.

Edited by MindFreak

I've found something that's worse than Brawl's online. In Brawl you could have up to 3 players on one Wii playing with someone on another Wii but in this game you can only have a maximum of 2 people.

So now that I've finally got my internet back up and running to full speed (and fully stable too! At last! :yay:), I've finally had the chance to try out Smash Wii U online...

As expected, it performs much like the 3DS one; that is to say, rock solid most of the time - even when playing For Fun! :D

Of course you're gonna get the odd laggy match, that's to be expected, but most of the time it's a really solid experience! Light years beyond Brawl! :yay:

The only real complaint I have is that if you do end up getting matched with someone who has a bad connection, you're basically stuck with it and you can't really leave, unless you're willing to take a temporary ban for disconnecting. It's done with good intentions, but the heavy handed approach is a bit stupid when you're left with no real choice but to stick it out with a long laggy match if you don't want to take the ban.

The game really should stop if it detects that the connection is too laggy, or at least give to a connection quality indicator before you start, so that you have an idea of what you're getting yourself into before you start.

Otherwise, it's great stuff! Works flawlessly most of the time, it's quick fast and simple to get into matches. It's basically exactly what you want from online Smash and it's only gonna get even better once the extra features like online tourneys arrive next year! :D

Edit: Should really mention that I'm using the LAN adapter running through a USB Hub (the GCN Controller adapter is running through the same USB hub as well - Internet connection is 78mbps down, 25mbps up)

Based on my experience with the 3DS game, I doubt that there's much of a difference with using WiFi VS Wired though - both games perform very solidly online :)

Edited by Dcubed

The game really should stop if it detects that the connection is too laggy
It does.

If there's too much lag it automatically becomes a no contest, or in particularly bad cases it'll just disconnect and display an error message.

The game could perhaps be quicker/better at detecting these situations, but maybe that's something they can tweak in the future. ::shrug:

So far I've been very impressed with the online aspect. When you consider just how much stuff can be going on simultaneously in this game, it's pretty unbelievable how it can even run online. :awesome:

It does.

If there's too much lag it automatically becomes a no contest, or in particularly bad cases it'll just disconnect and display an error message.

The game could perhaps be quicker/better at detecting these situations, but maybe that's something they can tweak in the future. ::shrug:

So far I've been very impressed with the online aspect. When you consider just how much stuff can be going on simultaneously in this game, it's pretty unbelievable how it can even run online. :awesome:

Yup! Both games are a right little miracle! Probably the best net code I have ever seen in any game!

Really, there's nothing to worry about in regards to performance. As long as you have a decent internet connection, you'll have a great experience online! :D

As long as you have a decent internet connection, you'll have a great experience online! :D
Yep, and I'm on a much slower connection compared to you (just 20Mbps) and using Wi-Fi, but it's still pretty much spot-on. icon14.gif

Oh yeah! Should really mention the other online aspects too...

They all work exactly as advertised. Being able to just go to the replay channel and just look for replays starring specific characters in specific modes is really cool! (The other normal spectate mode works exactly like how it does in Brawl - no problems at all).

That being said, I do wish we could be a bit more specific in what you want in the replay channel. You can search for replays starring a certain character in a certain mode, but it would be cool if you could look for replays that star 2 Warios for instance - or better yet 4 Warios ;) on a specific stage (4 player Wario matches on Gaur plains are hilarious BTW - you should totally give it a go with your friends if you get the chance!)

Ahh well, maybe in a future game update.

Edit: Should really mention that I'm using the LAN adapter running through a USB Hub (the GCN Controller adapter is running through the same USB hub as well - Internet connection is 78mbps down, 25mbps up)

What kind of USB hub are you using Dcubed? As in brand, model number etc if you don't mind me asking please... I'm looking to acquire one as I've come to realise that having the GC controller adapter hanging out of the front of the Wii U console is awful so I'd like to tidy it all up using a non-externally powered hub. :)

---------------------

All I can say regarding the online is that due to some technical issues which have resulted in some players losing their entire saves after playing the 'For Glory' mode I have yet to actually test out the online for myself aside from connecting to the server just to get my Global Smash Power which seems to be worth doing even though I don't confess to actually understanding what it does exactly.

Hopefully it won't be long until Nintendo addresses all online issues with a patch so that we can all take part in lots of fast-paced online battles without any undue concerns regarding save stability.

What kind of USB hub are you using Dcubed? As in brand, model number etc if you don't mind me asking please... I'm looking to acquire one as I've come to realise that having the GC controller adapter hanging out of the front of the Wii U console is awful so I'd like to tidy it all up using a non-externally powered hub. :)

I'm using an old Belkin one that I had lying around from Godknowswhen (I also had an old really tiny one that came with Rock Band on the 360 - that one didn't work though).

I'll let you know the exact model number later on today when I get home, but chances are that it probably isn't being sold anymore (I can't even remember where I got it from, or why...). That being said though, I reckon that any half decent one will work though :)

BTW: Global Smash Power is basically an online leaderboard in reverse. The number corresponds to how many people in the world you are better than (the idea being that it's nicer to see how many people you're better than, rather than how many people you are worse than ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

I'm using an old Belkin one that I had lying around from Godknowswhen (I also had an old really tiny one that came with Rock Band on the 360 - that one didn't work though).

I'll let you know the exact model number later on today when I get home, but chances are that it probably isn't being sold anymore (I can't even remember where I got it from, or why...). That being said though, I reckon that any half decent one will work though :)

BTW: Global Smash Power is basically an online leaderboard in reverse. The number corresponds to how many people in the world you are better than (the idea being that it's nicer to see how many people you're better than, rather than how many people you are worse than ;) )

I managed to secure a 'BELKIN 4 PORT USB HUB F5U024UKLI' for £6.49 :) this very one in fact...

$_12.JPG

Hopefully that'll do the job! :D

Also thanks, it's nice to know what that long number means now, I had a rough idea but I wasn't entirely sure though I do like the 'reverse leaderboard' concept even if I'll never take it that seriously, it's still good to be informed on what it represents. : peace:

I managed to secure a 'BELKIN 4 PORT USB HUB F5U024UKLI' for £6.49 :) this very one in fact...

$_12.JPG

Hopefully that'll do the job! :D

Also thanks, it's nice to know what that long number means now, I had a rough idea but I wasn't entirely sure though I do like the 'reverse leaderboard' concept even if I'll never take it that seriously, it's still good to be informed on what it represents. : peace:

That actually looks very similar to the one I'm using funnily enough! (Mine's transparant as well. Same number of USB ports and all! Creepy!) So I'm sure it'll be fine ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Sign in to follow this