N-Europe

Eurovision 2014

Grazza

I definitely think Austria was Top 10, but I'm also sure it received an extra boost through juries being ultra-PC. It didn't actually bother me until I read about the discrepancy between public and jury votes, but it can't be right that the public vote can be completely negated.

From the BBC link I posted:

The latest Eurovision figures have revealed the differences between the public phone vote and the jury vote at Saturday night's competition.

The UK phone vote gave Poland's Donatan and Cleo top marks but the jury thought they were the worst act of the night.

Their combined score meant Poland ended up with nil points from the British.

Most of the countries' voting power is split 50/50 between a jury and the public. Austria's Conchita Wurst won the contest in Copenhagen on Saturday.

Other discrepancies included Germany, whose public vote put Greece in fourth place but whose jury ranked it fourth from bottom at 22nd. Again, this resulted in nil points overall.

Ireland also gave Poland top marks in the telephone vote but the song We are Slavs was given bottom marks by the jury panel.

It's completely unfair and undemocratic. Don't get me wrong, I'm a liberal and like the fact the contest itself celebrates all kinds of sexuality - heterosexuality, homosexuality, trans etc - but the jury votes suggest they have a PC/feminist bias, which is not liberal at all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where you got your definition of trans wrong. The trans label refers to transgender, transsexual and transvestite. If he dresses up as a woman, he's a transvestite, and because he's operating in female gender norms, he's a transgender.

I specifically said transsexual.

A lot of people are saying he's transsexual when he isn't.

I thought the public/jury split was something along the lines of "one gives their Top 10, so does the other, we combine the points to make a new, balanced, top ten"

I mean, it's a good thing that votes aren't controlled by diaspora anymore, but vetoing votes outright? That's giving carte blanche to play (un)favourites. Think of the political clusterfucks that could arise from this.

Or is this something that depends from country to country (for example, the UK/Ireland jury system/split may work like that, but the Italian one wouldn't)?

I don't think it's a direct veto. If the public vote it 1/26 and the jury vote it 25/26 it gets a 13th on average.

But only the first 10 countries get any points, so while Poland got nil point from the UK, that doesn't mean it came in last.