N-Europe

Should I Switch?

ChloboShoka

Ever since moving to my flat, I've had problems with TalkTalk my Internet service provider. They often ring to try and sell us stuff and we'd often decline, however when we do decline the internet becomes unstable.

They also said they would give us a modem, but it never arrived. Now the landline is really fuzzy. I find it hard to listen to the phone because the fuzzing is loud. We tried ringing them about it but nothing has happened.

We thought about either BT or Sky though we're not quite sure which one is better.

Also try Virgin Media if you can get it - best Internet connection I've ever had.

Seconding this. Though tbh my family's been with cable since I was a wee lad so I've never known anything else. Had them in my old house, my current house, and just got them in my new house - speeds and service have generally been pretty awesome and consistent. Downtime on occasion, which is tedious, but mostly good for all teh years. They're apparently just about to upgrade speeds again too, so instead of the minimum package of 30Mb it's going up to even more. Have admittedly just had problems in my local area though.

Are you just phone and internet? Deal I just got with VM was £7.50 for 6 months, then £15 thereafter, plus £15.99 line rental a month. Gave me £50 credit though and you can pay a year's line rental upfront for £128, saving about £60 for the year but obviously that's non-refundable etc so you'll need to ensure you'd be sticking with them for the entire year.

Also try Virgin Media if you can get it - best Internet connection I've ever had.

I agree, although their customer service is abysmal (nowhere near as bad as BT, though). Sky are the best I've experienced in regards to customer service.

Oh, and Virgin Media have some strange problems with YouTube. Sometimes it can't cope with 240p (it has even lowered to 114p for me), so I have to use a proxy to watch stuff when that happens.

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost

I agree, although their customer service is abysmal (nowhere near as bad as BT, though). Sky are the best I've experienced in regards to customer service.

I've never really had a problem with them and I've phoned them on a number of occasions - usually when my service has been disrupted. On each of these occasions they've given me a refund for time lost.

On the most recent occasion it had been up and down over a few days (I think they were actually doing planned work but I was still annoyed) and I convinced the guy to up his offer off compensation of 5 days refund (as per my monthly total) to £15 off my next bill.

Wow, that's very different to what I get. They always treat me as if the problem is on my end, not theirs. One time I even did a Twitter search on my phone while I was talking to them (about how I've already reset the router and devices) and pointed out that other people were reposting internet difficulties, to which they responded "oh, yes, the exchange in your area is down for maintenance". You would think that that would be the first thing to check.

I would, Talk Talk are not known for having a good service. I'm using BT myself, had no real problems with the connection (only problems i'm having are random disconnects, but this is due to a dodgy ethernet port/router getting old). Other than that, got a steady 30mbs download connection which is enough for me.