N-Europe

Another 'find me a laptop' thread

Ashley

So I'm thinking about getting a laptop to do a bit of Unity work at work/in the living room.

Unity itself doesn't require huge specs (http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements) but thinking 4-8GB RAM, 500gb+ HDD and a decent graphics card (don't know about those though) should do it. I have a PC I can use if necessary.

I think the main requirement is it needs to be quite light as I'll be cycling with it. If I can hook it up to a monitor great, but not essential. 13" will be fine.

Budget is around £500, but will see what my balance looks like on my next pay day.

Thanks folks!

For Unity, the requirements may not be high, but I'd recommend going as high as you can with it. After working on 16gb 670 gtx machines that still have issues with it..

Sorry I've not really got any decent input. Apart from that.

Aye, but the games I'll be making won't be grueling, and if needs be I can use my PC.

Do you mean 'around 13"' or 'at least 13"'? Is there any point linking something with a 15" or 17" screen, or will that be too big?

Anything over 13 is fine.

a decent graphics card (don't know about those though)

What are you wanting a graphics card for (that sounds accusatory, I mean what will its use be)?

You aren't going to get even a semi-decent gaming laptop for £500. However if it's just video and low (to maybe even mid) level gaming then an AMD APU should do you well, rather than a dedicated GPU. Basically an APU is a processing unit designed to work as both the CPU and GPU. Note, this isn't the same thing as on-board graphics cards (which are just basic funcitonalities built into the mobo). This is a processing unit built to incorporate everything into one, rather than having a separate CPU and GPU.

For example, as a quick look, you could get this Lenovo IdeaPad G505s for £500.

You can probably get slightly better than that shopping around. Let me know if that's suitable and I'll find something better.

• 3 months later...