N-Europe

Is Link Dead in Majora's Mask?

Mokong

Just watched this video and thought it was pretty interesting.

Nice theory that I've not heard before that the entire game is actually Link dealing with his own death.

Narrator says that as you meet more NCPs and open new areas the NPCs manifest the 5 stages of the Kubler-Ross Model of Grief, could be a coincidence but given in Skyward Sword we;ve seen Nintendo make a whole temple (Ancient Cistern) follow some Buddhism story, it's possible they intentionally used this Model of Grief to build Majora's Mask (the idea of Link being dead for the whole thing may or may not have also been their intention.

I really like the bit about the Elegry of Emptiness song towards the end and the bit bout the Hero's Shade :)

So yeah just thought the vid was interesting and might be worth a discussion.

Also really makes me want to play Majora's Mask again....damn wish Nintendo would hurry up and announce a remake for either Wii U or 3DS. Would slightly annoy me if I played it on my Wii VC (toos lazy to get my N64 from attic) and then they announced a remake after I finished it :heh:

Edited by Mokong

It would make better sense if Majora's Mask wasn't in the 'Hero is Triumphant' timeline following from Ocarina. Or rather it would be more fitting as we now know there is a timeline extending from Ocarina where Link actually died. Obviously Link would eventually die after the events of Ocarina but for him to be dead in Majora's Mask he would have to have died as a child. In the Majora's Mask timeline, Link defeated Ganon and went back 7 years to live out his childhood with Ganon safely sealed away/executed. I don't think Nintendo would kill this Link as a child. It seems more likely to me that he enters some kind of dream world or alternate reality rather than actually being dead. If Link died as a child, why is Stalfos Link an adult when you meet him in Twilight Princess?

There is definitely an argument for the stages of grief being present in Majora's Mask and all of that stuff relating to death but I think it's more a comment on Link's fear of death or coming to terms with his mortality even as the Hero of Time. Basically I think Nintendo went with that theme for a darker and more mature game but I don't think they planned for Link to be dead.

Either way, it's a very compelling theory and whether he's dead or not it takes nothing away from how amazing Majora's Mask is.

It's possible Link became an old man, but died having never found his friend, thus enters a kind of purgatory where he appears as a child (since that represents the time when he was with Navi) and goes looking for him/her. Would explain why everyone is someone he has seen before.

I don't think the Hero's Shade would regret passing his knowledge if it was Young Link who died, more he would regret not finding Navi. Although he does state passing down his knowledge eased some of his regrets. Also Young Link didn't know those techniques but could have learned them later? There's also the fact Shade is an adult.

(I really want to replay Twilight Princess now...)

In regards to the Elegy of Emptiness, from what I recalled it creates a statue based on a slightly warped version of the persons soul (or is just the form, can't remember what the King says) which is why Link's base form can create one, I don't think it's connected. It just happens that 3 of them are dead.

Did the people of Clock Town even know the Moon was going to fall? All they seemed to know was it was getting closer and closer.

I ways thought Termina was a parallel world and was confirmed by Nintendo to be that which is why characters appeared from OoT.

I guess the souls of the three races are connected to the masks so you can recall their spirit and 'become' them... which is how you can create a statue of them. The other masks don't have souls/spirits connected to them and are just magic?

The people of clocktown saw the moon getting bigger/closer and I think most of them feared that it would fall on the town even if they didn't know for certain.

The characters all being based on people he'd met before works just as well if he's dead or dreaming too. Maybe he was dreaming of being dead :p