N-Europe

Shocktober 2013 - Gaming Edition

flameboy

I was wondering if anyone wanted to share in finishing a few horror games over this Halloween period?! Also revel in some horror game moments of the past!

Here are the games I plan on playing this month and will review after each game:

Costume Quest

Amnesia Dark Descent BEAT

System Shock 2

Anna BEAT

Lone Survivor

Alan Wake

Organ Trail

Dear Esther BEAT

If I get through all of these I will play some of the old Resident Evil games on ps1!

Thought we could run it as some sort of game club if people have the same games they want to play as each other....

Edited by flameboy

I might as well try to play System Shock this month if I can ever leave Civ V :heh:

Also, I love Amnesia, looking forward to hearing your impressions of it.

Ok you can watch me playing roughly an hour of Amnesia here:

http://www.twitch.tv/flameboy84/c/3039038

Sound issues at the beginning and an slight issue with my template for extra life. Not too much talking as its the dead of night and everyone is asleep. Definitely huge periods of the game where I had goosebumps. Great stuff....I'm honestly gripped like come out unnerved not something that had happened with horror in any medium for quite some time!

I've meant to pick it up for ages and just never got round to it...

Really fantastic game. Scared the crap out of me repeatedly and has a pretty solid story. It does a great job of making you feel threatened and vulnerable. This is not to be mixed up with the second game which was really different... and not necessarily better.

I might as well try to play System Shock this month if I can ever leave Civ V :heh:

Also, I love Amnesia, looking forward to hearing your impressions of it.

I'm really enjoying it so much. Reignited my love for the horror genre!!!!

This is me playing as part of my practicing streaming for extra life! Is the second one as good? I love how it has no combat and your actual encounters with the monsters are minimal perfect example of horror done well with the less shown the better.

Really fantastic game. Scared the crap out of me repeatedly and has a pretty solid story. It does a great job of making you feel threatened and vulnerable. This is not to be mixed up with the second game which was really different... and not necessarily better.

Added it to my steam wishlist to see if it drops! I wasnt the threatened vulnerable feel definitely.

I'm really enjoying it so much. Reignited my love for the horror genre!!!!

This is me playing as part of my practicing streaming for extra life! Is the second one as good? I love how it has no combat and your actual encounters with the monsters are minimal perfect example of horror done well with the less shown the better.

Haha, another fan :grin:

Sorry, haven't played the second one yet. Definitely on my wishlist, though.

I've decided to try to get back into Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS as every time I returned to it previously (only about an hour in :indeed:) I just couldn't be bothered to carry on :hmm: A couple of days ago, though, I played through the little section that I was finding somewhat unwelcoming and have put another couple of hours in since. Thankfully, my enjoyment of the game has increased :smile:

I reckon I'll dip into Silent Hill 3 on PS2 closer to Halloween as I cleared the second game earlier this year and fancy soaking up some of that atmosphere in the month ahead :yay:

Haha, another fan :grin:

Sorry, haven't played the second one yet. Definitely on my wishlist, though.

I checked out a review of the second one and it seems they removed some stuff....like the oil for lantern. I always liked the tension of it going out when you don't expect it and worrying that you might not find anymore (even though this never actually happened I always found there was enough) I think I'm nearing the end of Dark Descent hope to have it wrapped up in next couple of days.

I've decided to try to get back into Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS as every time I returned to it previously (only about an hour in :indeed:) I just couldn't be bothered to carry on :hmm: A couple of days ago, though, I played through the little section that I was finding somewhat unwelcoming and have put another couple of hours in since. Thankfully, my enjoyment of the game has increased :smile:

I reckon I'll dip into Silent Hill 3 on PS2 closer to Halloween as I cleared the second game earlier this year and fancy soaking up some of that atmosphere in the month ahead :yay:

Yeah I am exactly the same about Revelations which is why it's not on my list. But Welcome aboard the thrills and scares of Shocktober.

JIM-halloween.jpg

I checked out a review of the second one and it seems they removed some stuff....like the oil for lantern. I always liked the tension of it going out when you don't expect it and worrying that you might not find anymore (even though this never actually happened I always found there was enough) I think I'm nearing the end of Dark Descent hope to have it wrapped up in next couple of days.

Honestly, I think the reason we never ran out of oil is because we were being so careful and paranoid with it in the first place :heh:

Honestly, I think the reason we never ran out of oil is because we were being so careful and paranoid with it in the first place :heh:

Yeah maybe there are people who ran around thinking there was an abundance of oil! I still think either way removing that tension is a mistake.

Edited by flameboy

Well I finished Anna today....what an horrendous game. I played the original version it comes with an extended version but I cannot bring myself to do it again. Dumb puzzles that really made little sense and most important of

all it was trying to be scary and it really really wasn't at all.

Literally have nothing to do on Costume Quest right at the end just waiting for the TV to be free lol

Not sure what to play next it's between Alan Wake, Lone Survivor and System Shock 2.

Edited by flameboy