NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
reaper673

GCSE's

Now, I imagine most of you have passed this little stage in life already but I am now living it and its a bitch. The pressures huge and the hours are long. Anyone got any advice or just something to stop me killing myself?

Man, when I think back to my GCSE's, there isn't much GC and S's in there, it's all mostly a lot of E.

My motivation to you to try harder is... if you don't try harder you'll be making a bad joke like I just did when you're my age.

I've not got to do my Standard Grades (GCSE equiv. for Scotland) for another year and a bit bit I think the best thing to do is to spread the workcourse over the 2 years, or ever 4 years if you have a rough idea what you'll be doing. Although it's probably to late for you. Good luck!

tbh enjoy GCSE's while you can as there only a fraction of work compared to what you do for your A-Levels. Advice wise is basically start early i.e. 3-4 months and learn from a revison guide thats what i did. if you start eearly you'll find youself only needing to learn a section aday as aposed to many sections a day if you leave it late

Relax, but not too much. All this pressure they put on is just to try and make sure you do something. During GCSE years I was never top of the class (or near there :P) but I just did a bit of revision here and there, and I got 4B's, 5C's and D (french, enough said). As long as you get what you need to get onto the college course you want, fine.

I was in top set in all classes (though I didn't feel I should have been in some) and I did reading a revision book for maybe 20-30 mins a few times each day. So unless you want to get A*'s desperately and stuff, thats where you won't be having fun. These exams are hyped up so bad.

Edit - Btw, I have a psychology AS exam tomorrow morning, and I started revising today. This is an example of being too relaxed.

Man, when I think back to my GCSE's, there isn't much GC and S's in there, it's all mostly a lot of E.

I wish i got E, but i get a lot of GC, but i don't have a clue what an S is.

dude, GCSE's are like...so piss easy. just keep a level head, do your work and listien to teachers advice about writing essays and such because they know *exactly* what you have to do.

just don't let the man get you down with all the pressure. most of it is bollocks.

dont fuck em off

i did

isnt very gud after a while of doin nothin

So who's in the middle of AS exams? (I had one today, got one tomorrow, one the next day and 2 on monday)

Got a chemistry resit tomorrow. Been revising for it so hopefully I'll do better than last year.

GCSEs are easy in comparision, just revise early and in small amounts. You know you that you know the subject when you read a revision guide and you know the next word :P Just keep calm and relaxed and ask teachers if you're stuck with stuff.

Got a chemistry resit tomorrow. Been revising for it so hopefully I'll do better than last year.

Let me guess: OCR Salters Chemistry for life? I'm taking it for the first time.

Let me guess: OCR Salters Chemistry for life? I'm taking it for the first time.

Negetive.

OCR "Foundation" chemistry. I think OCR do two courses, the Salters and this. I got an E last year (fuck knows how) so hopefully I'll improve.

Done mine 6 years ago now... There's no real advice to give except dont worry about revision, if you dont know it now, you will never know it so don't bother and blame the teachers when you get bad grades.

oh and always eat breakfast on the morning of an exam.

Negetive.

OCR "Foundation" chemistry. I think OCR do two courses, the Salters and this. I got an E last year (fuck knows how) so hopefully I'll improve.

Well be happy that you're not doing Salters; I hate that course.

i would say dont let the school hype of GCSE's mess you up, i remember when i was at school they potrayed it as the be all and end all of your life, the thing that would determine the rest of your life. They are important, but that's utter crap.

Back when i did my GCSE's i did crap on most of them, but my dad had died around that time so everything was upside down. Getting my results i thought i had messed up my life and careers advisors said the same, however a few years later i did an adult access course (A levels in one year), now i am at university getting good grades on my essays. So try not let it overly stress you out, it is important but not the only chance in life.

Done mine 6 years ago now... There's no real advice to give except dont worry about revision, if you dont know it now, you will never know it so don't bother and blame the teachers when you get bad grades.

oh and always eat breakfast on the morning of an exam.

And a chocolate bar 20 mins before the exam.

Chocolate allows the brain to work faster and can heighten performance in writting and lower stress levels.

Chocolate effects take about 20 mins to kick in,then last about 1-2 hours, then the effect dies and your body feels a bit rough inside, so remember. 20 mins. :)

It did me justice, I learnt all my GCSE subjects two weeks up until the exams (missed nearly all high school) - and I came out with 12 passes and 5 A*'s. I then repeated those kidna results at A Levels. Gah, long time ago now. I miss it!

I did quite bad in my exams, C's and D's mostly.

Now I'm at college doing a BTEC National Diploma (lol?) in IT.

All the advice you're getting is good, stick with it. Especially the chocolate one, I thank you er-no for that one.

Coping with exams depends what type of person you are, but relaxing and doing just enough work to keep the teachers off your back is a good bet I think.

The exams really are not that incredibly difficult so long as you look at some past papers before hand and make sure you have a working knowledge of the things you need to know.

for the exams, or when you are finding it hard to concentrate on an essay or something, i find abusing a drug called aderall, is immensely useful once you get the right dosage, you stay sooo focused, and it makes revising so much easier since it sticks in your memory.

(please don't try this, as it's illegal, and can be potentially overly dangerous (read: fatal))

dude, this my advise, do not sweat about GCSE that much, cause there not that important, when compared to a levels , just get at least 5 GCSE so u can get to the a level stage, THEN WORK your ass off, however if u want to go in to a academic field, when your older, like a doctor/dentist/lawyer etc, then make SURE u get at least 7 GCSE @ A* in English maths and science, it does not matter about the rest, unless they involved some how in your future career, the reason about getting top grades in those subjects is that all the TOP unis will judge you on theses alone, i.e. if u get 4 A's at a level but u get a like a c in maths and English GCSE, and the other possible candidates got the same a levels as you but better GCSE's, then who are they goner pick? u guessed the one with high gcse's (trust me i speak from experience, stupid Birmingham did not except due to i had no B in GCSE maths, but i got a C, and i also got ABC at a level)

If its allowed in your school or you can get away with it, chew gum. It stimulates the brain.

If its allowed in your school or you can get away with it, chew gum. It stimulates the brain.

true dat

also is the chocolate thing for real?

true dat

also is the chocolate thing for real?

Yes. As is the chewing gum very true. :D

Sign in to follow this