N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

It's probably because they are so stock limited at the moment (or at least they were). They were bottlenecked by production during launch so they probably didn't sell as much as they would've wanted to.

I've been listening to the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast and they were saying how stores simply weren't getting much stock before Christmas.

Yet they still sold ridiculous amounts.

The point is that they didn't sell as much as they could have, because the supply was unfortunately bottlenecked so significantly. Once they speed up production you'll see sales increase considerably.

I think it depends if people genuinely want them or whether the fact that they can't have them has caused this frenzy.

I think it depends if people genuinely want them or whether the fact that they can't have them has caused this frenzy.

I purchased two in the hype...still have them boxed lol. Given that they don't really do much I'll probably just sell them on, but count me in the crowd that believed the hype :heh:

I have all 24 and love them! But if they knew the production line, and it was pretty much a sell out, how can that be "disappointed" they pretty much sold all of their stock!!

Anyway. Let's hope for some exciting titbits in the investor meeting, though I'd imagine it'll all be vagueries

I have 13 and want more.

Hell I want them all but am restraining myself :p

Part timer. :D

I was mainly talking about the general public. People like us are insane enough to buy them and would have even if there was plenty of stock. With stock being limited this has encouraged scalpers and bulk buying which is kind of inflating the actual real interest in the items. Once the stock levels come back down to acceptable levels we will see whether or not this demand is real and can go the distance.

It will be interesting to see how the Mario Party lineup sells. A lot of people have already bought into the Smash Amiibo so will be wanting to finish that set off. Once that's done people may call it quits, especially as so of the Amiibo are the same character but with a different pose.

Part timer. :D

I was mainly talking about the general public. People like us are insane enough to buy them and would have even if there was plenty of stock. With stock being limited this has encouraged scalpers and bulk buying which is kind of inflating the actual real interest in the items. Once the stock levels come back down to acceptable levels we will see whether or not this demand is real and can go the distance.

It will be interesting to see how the Mario Party lineup sells. A lot of people have already bought into the Smash Amiibo so will be wanting to finish that set off. Once that's done people may call it quits, especially as so of the Amiibo are the same character but with a different pose.

Toad will clearly be the best seller

I expect Wario, Waluigi and Daisy to get amiibo from that series. Since we don't have a standard classic Wario amiibo, I imagine lots of people will want that, too

Say what? Proves analysts know absolutely nothing

That analysis was Japan focused. I thought afterwards I should say something because I knew someone would focus on that bit of info. We heard of amiibo sales figures in Japan from Nintendo in the first week, from then on I think nothing. amiibo supposedly haven't done as well there as everywhere else. Japan as a whole is in decline.

That analysis was Japan focused. I thought afterwards I should say something because I knew someone would focus on that bit of info. We heard of amiibo sales figures in Japan from Nintendo in the first week, from then on I think nothing. amiibo supposedly haven't done as well there as everywhere else. Japan as a whole is in decline.

Lack of news doesn't mean bad news

We have US numbers as well. IIRC it was at 1 Amiibo per copy of SSB Wii U last time they mentioned it (think it was over 2 million at the time, don't remember the exact amount).

In France it's the same as well last time they mentioned it, 1 Amiibo for each copy of SSB Wii U.

So yeah, Amiibos are doing well :) (well there's a reason why they're nearly impossible to find after all!)

We have US numbers as well. IIRC it was at 1 Amiibo per copy of SSB Wii U last time they mentioned it (think it was over 2 million at the time, don't remember the exact amount).

In France it's the same as well last time they mentioned it, 1 Amiibo for each copy of SSB Wii U.

So yeah, Amiibos are doing well :) (well there's a reason why they're nearly impossible to find after all!)

I know amiibo has done well worldwide. It's Japan that's only up for dispute. They've sold over 2.5 million so far. Off the top of my head I think it's 700,00 for the States and last week I think France announced it had sold over 250,000. Don't quote me on those figures. No real numbers for anywhere else but they've sold out everywhere.

I know amiibo has done well worldwide. It's Japan that's only up for dispute. They've sold over 2.5 million so far. Off the top of my head I think it's 700,00 for the States and last week I think France announced it had sold over 250,000. Don't quote me on those figures. No real numbers for anywhere else but they've sold out everywhere.

I thought it was 2.5 million in the US alone since it was the NPD press release. They said it was twice the Smash U sales which was 1.3 million in the US.

Edited by Serebii

I thought it was 2.5 million in the US alone since it was the NPD press release. They said it was twice the Smash U sales which was 1.3 million in the US.

NPD December 2014: amiibo has sold over 2.5 Million Units to date

If you thought amiibo was going to fail because of a crowded market you were wrong. Nintendo has announced that amiibo sales are right about 2.6 million units worldwide. Nintendo has more waves of amiibo coming and a host of games like Code Name Steam, Mario Party 10 and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS that all have compatibility, so I don’t see the amiibo sales craze going down anytime soon. Get Nintendo’s official response below.

http://playeressence.com/npd-december-2014-amiibo-has-over-2-5-million-units-to-date/

Maybe they're wrong.

Total sales of amiibo figures in 2014 are nearly twice the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=972713

They misinterpreted

Here we go

Iwata said Nintendo sold about 5.7 million of its new Amiibo figurines worldwide since late November, giving an early indication of whether the company’s strategy of selling toys will be successful. Iwata spoke at a briefing in Osaka today.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-28/nintendo-s-outlook-disappoints-and-mario-can-t-save-wii-u

I'm surprised by that Amiibo stuff, because that's less than 1 amiibo per Wii U? That's much lower than I would have thought, given how many people are purchasing a lot of them.

Still good though and it comes with good profit margins :)

Remember they had stock issues as well so the figure would of been higher.

Iwata Says “Wii U Is Not Over Yet” More Unannounced Titles To Be Announced

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata says that the Wii U isn’t going anywhere yet despite only managing to shift 9.2 million units since launch in 2012. Iwata told Japanese news publication Sankei that there are many more unannounced titles in development for the platform. So yeah, the Wii U isn’t going anywhere. Hopefully we will see some of these unannounced games at E3 in Los Angeles this June.

“Wii U is not over yet. I want to continue to build on playing on people’s high expectations [for the system].”

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/28/iwata-says-wii-u-is-not-over-yet-more-unannounced-titles-to-be-announced/

Yet. Is that telling? Is that a subtle hint that it won't be around for as long as people that? Please no more 2D platformers announced at E3. And I want a Metroid game.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/28/iwata-says-wii-u-is-not-over-yet-more-unannounced-titles-to-be-announced/

Yet. Is that telling? Is that a subtle hint that it won't be around for as long as people that? Please no more 2D platformers announced at E3. And I want a Metroid game.

No you're just reading too much into it. He's basically saying that they intend to continue supporting it like they would for any of their previous consoles, despite the low hardware sales. You're not getting a successor any time soon (and how could they? What would even replace it!?). They've got their first QoL device coming out in late 2015/early 2016, then the 3DS successor probably in early 2017, then probably the Wii U's successor in 2018. They can't work on everything at the same time!

It is laying the groundwork for their future. Their next console and handheld is going to be based on its architecture after all, so any investment into the Wii U is also an investment into the future of its successors (not to mention there's the bonus of asset reuse, backwards compatibility up the wazoo etc - Why do you think that they're investing so much more into the Wii U VC instead of the 3DS VC? ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

then probably the Wii U's successor in 2018.

No way is that happening. Did you see the Japanese charts today? Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sold 32,000 while a PS3 game sold >10 times more(admittedly a Tales game but still). It's the second worst opening week of sales ever for a Kirby game. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sold 38,000, Zelda: The Wind Waker HD sold 30,000 while Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker sold 28,000 in their opening weeks. No way is this train wreck going to make it until 2018. It's quickly running out of track.

That's one example. There's a whole pile of other reasons why it's coming in 2016, guaranteed.