NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

The next Nintendo console will come out around 2017, with the handheld by the end of 2016.

Next year will be to the Wii U what 2011 was to the Wii or what 2005 was the Gamecube; a year where software releases are minimal because most teams have moved on to newer hardware. 2018 will be stupidly late but next year is far too soon, especially when they need to get a new handheld out first.

No way is that happening. Did you see the Japanese charts today? Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sold 32,000 while a PS3 game sold >10 times more(admittedly a Tales game but still). It's the second worst opening week of sales ever for a Kirby game. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sold 38,000, Zelda: The Wind Waker HD sold 30,000 while Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker sold 28,000 in their opening weeks. No way is this train wreck going to make it until 2018. It's quickly running out of track.

That's one example. There's a whole pile of other reasons why it's coming in 2016, guaranteed.

While I see what your saying, it really depends on when they started working on their next console and if they push it for a quicker release.

Personally I think last year may have been its peak, at least in terms of sales. This year they won't have Mario Kart or Smash to push the system. The likes of Xenoblade and Zelda are games for those who already have the Wii U. They certainly don't have the mass market appeal.

I think leaving it until 2018 is s very risky move. They are losing massive mind share with consumers, not to mention the console is struggling now as it is for a steady stream of software. Nintendo don't have a great track record of supporting their systems in their twilight years imagine what it will be like if they left it until 2018!

The next Nintendo console will come out around 2017, with the handheld by the end of 2016.

Next year will be to the Wii U what 2011 was to the Wii or what 2005 was the Gamecube; a year where software releases are minimal because most teams have moved on to newer hardware. 2018 will be stupidly late but next year is far too soon, especially when they need to get a new handheld out first.

I had Christmas 2016 in mind. So we'd still have the best part of 2 years left.

And where are they supposed to magic this new console (and software lineup) from?

You guys talk of market realities, but you don't understand R&D realities. Consoles take time to develop, they cant just be magicked out of nowhere!

And for those of you who might point to short-lived consoles like the Xbox or the Saturn, you all forget that unlike SEGA and MS, Nintendo have 2 (now 3 actually!) platforms to support! They simply can't develop that many hardware platforms (and all of that launch software) at the same time, while also supporting their existing platforms (which is why they always wind down support for their existing hardware, leaving them with massive software droughts, shortly before switching focus to their new generation of hardware).

The reason why the next handheld will be coming out in 2017 and the next console in 2018 is because they have to come out then. They can't get new hardware out sooner (not to mention how mindbogglingly idiotic it would be to introduce the New3DS this year if they were just planning on dumping it next year - see early 90s SEGA for why that is an incredibly bad idea).

The New3DS exists in order to buy them time to continue getting the 4DS (or whatever they call it) ready. It serves exactly the same function that the GBC and DSi did during their respective generations, it is arriving at the same point in the 3DS' lifecycle as the DSi did during the DS' lifecycle and will last for roughly the same length of time as its predecessor.

Then the next console will follow shortly after the next handheld, just like it always does.

Edited by Dcubed

Yeah, this seems like a safe bet.

*nods head in agreement*

You listened to this weeks RFN yet? I honestly couldn't stop laughing at the Samus: Glitter Gun section. Their reaction to the idea was hilarious! :D

2017/8 for the next home console sounds a safe bet, with the new handheld a year before.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/28/iwata-says-wii-u-is-not-over-yet-more-unannounced-titles-to-be-announced/

Yet. Is that telling? Is that a subtle hint that it won't be around for as long as people that?

You're reading too much into things again

Edited by Ronnie

There's a whole pile of other reasons why it's coming in 2016, guaranteed.

I reckon these sorts of quotes might come back to bite you in the next couple of years.. if anyone is bookmarking them :heh:

I reckon these sorts of quotes might come back to bite you in the next couple of years.. if anyone is bookmarking them :heh:

I've said it countless times. I've challenged anybody to take a bet with me but had no takers.

Makes no difference if you've said it countless times, the point is it's a little foolish thing to say. Especially considering all your incorrect predictions in the past. And it's guaranteed to be coming out in 2016 is it? Interesting because Nintendo is currently going all out for Wii U software in 2015. Lots of games coming this year and as Iwata says plenty more to announce for next year. You can't just launch a new console so soon after a heavy software release schedule like that. There's also the small issue that the next hardware release will be the successor to the 3DS, and that won't be for a while yet anyway.

Yeah... USB HDDs are stupid cheap. You don't even need 2TB anyway, if you go for a 1TB drive (which is still really overkill!) or even 500GB (which is probably more than enough for most people still), it's even cheaper (you're talking about £30-£37 - there's a good quality Seagate one on Amazon currently going for £37)

Back to the talk the day before yesterday about hard drives. I've ordered a Seagate Expansion 500GB USB 3.0 portable 2.5 inch external hard drive from the link.

Does anybody own one and definitely knows that it needs a Y cable? It seems that it might as customers who bought the hard drive, also bought a cable linked below and purchasers of that have bought Nintendo products. If it does need one, should I buy a female extension y cable or a dedicated 2 male USB micro B cable? Should either be USB 3.0? Will it matter because it's going to be bottlenecked when it reaches the Wii U? Would this be best?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storite-SuperSpeed-Seagate-Toshiba-External-BLACK/dp/B00IP8QIUK/ref=pd_sim_computers_6/279-7278397-7383040?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XW2SFC4RE0QNP446CD0

Nintendo have cancelled their investor meeting which was due to take place shortly. Iwata is ill with a fever and possibly the flu. Damn, I was really looking forward to this but I hope Iwata is alright. It'll be scheduled for a later date though none was given at this short notice.

[TWEET]560601373197090819[/TWEET]

Financial information, million sellers list and release schedule.

http://t.co/W6LWwVa6E5

That last page is pitiful. They've resorted to indie games, fairly certain that wasn't the case last year. I didn't notice one retail release.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Back to the talk the day before yesterday about hard drives. I've ordered a Seagate Expansion 500GB USB 3.0 portable 2.5 inch external hard drive from the link.

Does anybody own one and definitely knows that it needs a Y cable? It seems that it might as customers who bought the hard drive, also bought a cable linked below and purchasers of that have bought Nintendo products. If it does need one, should I buy a female extension y cable or a dedicated 2 male USB micro B cable? Should either be USB 3.0? Will it matter because it's going to be bottlenecked when it reaches the Wii U? Would this be best?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storite-SuperSpeed-Seagate-Toshiba-External-BLACK/dp/B00IP8QIUK/ref=pd_sim_computers_6/279-7278397-7383040?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XW2SFC4RE0QNP446CD0

Yes you will need a Y Cable because it is not self powered (doesn't plug into the wall) and you don't want a micro USB Cable, just a standard USB Y cable. No it doesn't have to be USB 3, since the Wii U only sports USB 2 ports anyway, but pretty much all new USB HDDs these days are USB 3 anyway (which is backwards compatible), so you might as well go for a USB 3 one (besides, chances are that you'll probably end up using it on the next Nintendo console as well, so the extra speed will likely get used eventually).

Nintendo have cancelled their investor meeting which was due to take place shortly. Iwata is ill with a fever and possibly the flu. Damn, I was really looking forward to this but I hope Iwata is alright. It'll be scheduled for a later date though none was given at this short notice.

[TWEET]560601373197090819[/TWEET]

Financial information, million sellers list and release schedule.

Poor guy can't catch a break. At this rate, his health will force him to retire before his investors do :(

http://t.co/W6LWwVa6E5

That last page is pitiful. They've resorted to indie games, fairly certain that wasn't the case last year. I didn't notice one retail release.

It has been like that for well over a year now. Nothing new (and I for one am happy to see them acknowledge the importance of those independent games that they've "resorted" to! They're not "pitiful", "lesser" games!!)

After all, Minecraft was one of those "lowly" indie games at one point...

Edit: Oh hey! Nintendo Land managed to sell another million and a bit last year! That's pretty surprising considering that it was not bundled! :)

Edited by Dcubed

Poor guy can't catch a break. At this rate, his health will force him to retire before his investors do :(

There is a brutal strain of flu going around Japan at the moment. Not just him being hit by it. Though his stuff last year is probably causing his doctors to advise caution due to it.

We'll have the investor meeting next week most likely.

This is down to 55 pounds today, which I think I am going to get.

Power cable death over USB cable death for me I think. :heh:

Good man! Better to overkill than underkill when it comes to storage, I mean, if you don't end up using it all with Wii U then you'll end up using it in the future with the next console anyway (plus powered drives are generally more reliable than USB powered ones as well)

What exactly is "pitiful" about indie games? It's typical of the immaturity of the gamer industry to talk down on indies. If anything they're often more interesting and creative than the usual AAAs.

What exactly is "pitiful" about indie games? It's typical of the immaturity of the gamer industry to talk down on indies. If anything they're often more interesting and creative than the usual AAAs.

Pitful is harsh but the reality is people do not buy consoles for indie games.

Pitful is harsh but the reality is people do not buy consoles for indie games.

51Bj5Uhn3xL._SY300_.jpg

The number 1 Xbox 360 seller for roughly 2 years on the trot...

Many download games have also cracked the million seller mark on console as well, like Castle Crashers for instance. Then there are exclusive free to play games that have downloads in the millions...

Edited by Dcubed

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/28/iwata-says-wii-u-is-not-over-yet-more-unannounced-titles-to-be-announced/

Yet. Is that telling? Is that a subtle hint that it won't be around for as long as people that? Please no more 2D platformers announced at E3. And I want a Metroid game.

Ignoring the Wii U, they need to wait until its successor is ready. I think by Yet. they mean they are hanging on until the next home console is prepared for launch.

The 3DS might get its successor announced (confirmed as being near completion) this year at E3... . That would lead to a 2016 launch presumably.

2016 would be the earliest point I can see them announcing the successor to the Wii U. So the VERY soonest I can see a Wii U 2 would be late 2016. I'd be very surprised if they rushed the next console that much though, in terms of them being able to develop a console and get it into production within 4 years. The quickest turn around like that was the Wii, which took just over 5 years to develop and put into production. That would suggest a late 2017 release date - at the earliest.

It has been like that for well over a year now. Nothing new (and I for one am happy to see them acknowledge the importance of those independent games that they've "resorted" to! They're not "pitiful", "lesser" games!!)

After all, Minecraft was one of those "lowly" indie games at one point...

Edit: Oh hey! Nintendo Land managed to sell another million and a bit last year! That's pretty surprising considering that it was not bundled! :)

The reason I need a hard drive is because I'm steadily filling up my system memory with indie games.. Bought Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition last week due to the good reviews and praise. Currently playing through Shovel Knight. I enjoy all the games I've bought but I've noticed one thing in common with all the games nearly. They're 2D. I'd like to play a football game, the new Batman when it arrives or the released Alien game. We've got nothing. Sure it's great that indie developers have more of a spotlight but lets be realistic why this is happening. They've nothing else to list. Remember when Wii U launched, in the Directs, indie developers got a short 30 second or a minute sizzle reel. And in that .pdf file, some of the games listed are hardly anything to get excited about. Minecraft is an exception to the rule of most indies. And who owns Mojang now?

Next handheld: announced at E3 2016, release later that year

Next console: announced at E3 2017, release later that year/2018

IMO.

The reason I need a hard drive is because I'm steadily filling up my system memory with indie games.. Bought Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition last week due to the good reviews and praise. Currently playing through Shovel Knight. I enjoy all the games I've bought but I've noticed one thing in common with all the games nearly. They're 2D.

So? That's not an indicator of quality or fun. If you want to play those 3D AAA games then you should buy a PS4 or Xbox.

So? That's not an indicator of quality or fun. If you want to play those 3D AAA games then you should buy a PS4 or Xbox.

Quit quoting me? I'm sick of your dribble clogging my notifications. Where did I say that it was an indicator of quality or fun? My favourite game of all time is Super Metroid. I wouldn't be buying these indie games if they weren't fun or quality games. That was not the point of my statement. Jeez! Do I have to state the obvious to you? I don't quote you because I don't care what you have to say. For the umpteenth time, quit it!

Yeah, this seems like a safe bet.

*nods head in agreement*

You listened to this weeks RFN yet? I honestly couldn't stop laughing at the Samus: Glitter Gun section. Their reaction to the idea was hilarious! :D

'What do teen girls like once they grow out of glitter? Vampires! And what are Metroid's?'

:bowdown:

I literally just received the same hard drive and yes, you need a Y-cable because the Wii U USB ports are underpowered and can't power the hard drive with 1 USB port alone. You can buy a Y cable for a fiver though :)

On the topic of Indie games..

Yes, they aren't super polished, and yes, they aren't pushing the boundaries of gaming, Teslagrad, Guacamelee, Shovel Knight and Steamworld Dig are two of the best games you'll play on any console this year. They put many bigger titles to shame and provide a lot of a joy at a fraction of the price.

Makes no difference if you've said it countless times, the point is it's a little foolish thing to say. Especially considering all your incorrect predictions in the past. And it's guaranteed to be coming out in 2016 is it? Interesting because Nintendo is currently going all out for Wii U software in 2015. Lots of games coming this year and as Iwata says plenty more to announce for next year. You can't just launch a new console so soon after a heavy software release schedule like that. There's also the small issue that the next hardware release will be the successor to the 3DS, and that won't be for a while yet anyway.

You're behaving as bad as Serebii here by interpreting language so literally. He's not giving you a certified 'guarantee' that the console is coming out in 2016, he's being hyperbolic.

I mean, you don't dial 999 when somebody mentions they're dying to use the toilet, do you? Just live and let live, stop jumping on people over trivial shit like this.

'What do teen girls like once they grow out of glitter? Vampires! And what are Metroid's?'

:bowdown:

It was hilarious.

In regards to Nintendo's next console, not one of us know how far they are along with it or when they will launch, so all we can do is guess. Anyone's guess on here is as good as another persons. None of us are in the know, yet people on here talk as if they are.

We had people on here saying Nintendo wouldn't do Mario Kart DLC. It happened. We also had people say that a 3DS with another stick wouldn't be released. It happened. All we can do is speculate and I don't think people should be getting shot down over what they think may happen.

At the end of the day, most of us on here should know by now that when it comes to Nintendo all bets are off and anything can happen.

I literally just received the same hard drive and yes, you need a Y-cable because the Wii U USB ports are underpowered and can't power the hard drive with 1 USB port alone. You can buy a Y cable for a fiver though :)

Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-3-0-DUAL-POWER-Y-CABLE-LEAD-2-x-TYPE-A-Male-TO-1-x-TYPE-A-Female-30cm-/301329437483?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item4628a2532b

What would you recommend or did you order?