N-Europe

Search Lotto

Sheikah

I'm not sure if this will be of any interest, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Basically there is a search engine called Search Lotto that uses Yahoo to search; the selling point is that for every 25 searches you are awarded one entry into either the National Lottery or the Euro millions (your choice).

The limitations are that you share your ticket with 9 others (National Lottery) or 19 others (Euro millions) so if the jackpot was miraculously won you'd be looking at hundreds of thousands rather than millions. Also you're limited to a maximum of 2 entries into the lottery a week, and only the first 10 searches in a day count.

I'd never enter the lottery normally given it'd be pissing money into the wind, but given it costs nothing and there's the very, very slim chance of winning big, why the hell not?

Oh and I'm pretty sure this is UK only. It definitely seems legit; they appear to be making revenue through adverts on the search engine.

Couple of things to take in mind:

Apparently you can get 50p for signing up via Quidco.

In Firefox at least, you can add this site as one of your search engines in the upper right corner by clicking on the Search Bar link.

We also throttle your search queries so that only one search query is verified every two minutes - this is to help prevent abuse of the service and the use of automated robots or scripts.

Additionally' date=' please remember that you can only accumulate up to 10 verified searches per day and a maximum of 50 verified searches per week.[/quote']

Oh well, I missed out on that 50p. :p

Yeah the search limit is one verified search every 2 minutes (I think that means only searches at least 2 minutes apart count, rather than it takes 2 minutes to verify your searches). There's also a toolbar, but I bloody hate toolbars.

Hmm, I'm not getting this, what's so bad about Yahoo? I've done quite a few searches in it so far and they're as accurate/producing as relevant results as when I use Google.

This isn't another of those 'once was true' things about Yahoo, right? Like the people who still say you can't get mobile reception on Three (despite it having better coverage than most networks and the fastest 3G).

I always used Yahoo right up until I got an Android phone in 2010. Always had BT Broadband, which used Yahoo's email services/homepage, so I used it by default really. I'm with Sheikah here, their search engine has always been comparable Google's to me. In the early 2000s Yahoo's search WAS google, but I think they have their own system now.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say that today I checked my free lottery ticket I got from using this search engine for this week. Matched 4 numbers, so got a tenth of the prize (since it's shared with 9 others). Only 9 pounds won (single payout would have been 90) but still. 9 pounds for paying nothing and doing nothing but the occasional search with it. Pretty nice.

• 3 months later...