N-Europe

Nintendo Japan testing digital download discount

Aneres11

As the console thread is closed, I didn't know where else to put this so thought I'd create a thread.

Hope that's alright...

Nintendo announced a promotion in Japan that makes upcoming Wii U games like Pikmin 3 cheaper if you don’t mind a digital copy. The summer early purchase campaign drops the price of three Wii U titles by 10% if you buy them during their launch week. Pikmin 3 which comes out next week in Japan will kick the campaign off. Lego City Undercover and The Wonderful 101 are also part of the promotion.

Came from:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/03/nintendo-pushes-digital-releases-with-pikmin-3-cheaper-on-the-eshop-than-at-retail/

Seems like the kind of thing that should be happening on the eShop really.

Obviously, this is just Japan at the moment but it would be nice to see Nintendo bring it over here too. I'd definitely download games digitally if there was a bit of a promotion to be had with it, or even money off full RRP prices - which no one wants to pay for a boxed game! Let alone digital!

Also, with the premium pack - don't you get money back on digital purchases anyway? This would be good incentive to use alongside that!

Yeah that's the thing - the eShop should be the go to place for digital games in my opinion. I'm surprised that hasn't been recognised by Nintendo to be honest.

I like downloading digitally on my 3ds and for certain games would do the same on my Wii U - but at the min it's definitely better to go direct to GAME than even contemplate the eShop.

Be nice to have some digital price wars though ha.

Yeah that's the thing - the eShop should be the go to place for digital games in my opinion. I'm surprised that hasn't been recognised by Nintendo to be honest.

I like downloading digitally on my 3ds and for certain games would do the same on my Wii U - but at the min it's definitely better to go direct to GAME than even contemplate the eShop.

Be nice to have some digital price wars though ha.

That's the whole point of having those retail download cards in the first place. Problem is that NOE gave them exclusively to GAME in the UK (and NOA don't sell them anywhere anyway), so there's no competition in place...

That's the whole point of having those retail download cards in the first place. Problem is that NOE gave them exclusively to GAME in the UK (and NOA don't sell them anywhere anyway), so there's no competition in place...

Well maybe competition was the wrong word. What I'm trying to say is it'd be nice to buy directly from the eShop rather than through GAME. So if this came over here it would give people the option - which I think is a good thing! : peace:

Digital downloads are the way forward. Especially if you can pre-load them Steam style. Means no waiting around for the postie, no going at midnight. You just turn the console on and the game is sitting there waiting for you!

This is only going to work if the eshop discount is greater than the cheapest online retail or in store price. People will always go for the cheapest deal and until Nintendo wake up to that fact then digital download is going to be a slow uptake.

I'd like to see some promotions where the game is cheaper to buy if you already own and have registered another game in the same series.

For example:

you purchased and registered

Pikmin 1 and 2- so you get 20% off the retail price of Pikmin 3.

Or you purchased and registered every game in the Pokemon Series and get Pokemon X or Y for free.:yay:

Digital downloads are the way forward. Especially if you can pre-load them Steam style. Means no waiting around for the postie, no going at midnight. You just turn the console on and the game is sitting there waiting for you!

But...where's the fun in that?

But...where's the fun in that?

Well, as embarrased as I am to admit this I find the download sequence quite exciting in itself... :blush:

Nothing better than waiting for the game to download, tapping 'unwrap' on the freshly downloaded present and seeing the game icon spring to life on your home screen!! : peace:

But I'm weird like that tbf... :laughing: