NEurope
Aneres11

Longtime iPhone user - Android switch?

MadDog basically sums it up well.

I think that in a couple of other iterations there really won't be any difference between iOS and Android anyway, and people will just switch between them whenever they want.

Apparently Apple are announcing some sort of big software announcement at WWDC this year (rather than hardware) so that should be interesting.

You don't need to root your phone to get other launchers. Also there's plenty on apple that you can't get rid of like all the apple apps. You can't change your default map app, or default anything app.

Speaking of maps, is it true that iOS uses its own map system or something now which isn't very good? I thought I heard something like that, but I can't recall where now.

Speaking of maps, is it true that iOS uses its own map system or something now which isn't very good? I thought I heard something like that, but I can't recall where now.

Yes. Apple have their own maps that they force you to use if you try to use Siri or any other app to ask for directions. And it has not had a good history of quality, with memes propping up everywhere and Tim Cook even apologising and telling people to use alternatives such as Google.

Yeah it's that kinda thing I don't like the sound of. Having to install other stuff to get rid of something that should be amendable in the first place.

It's no different to the default apps on iOS - stuff like Safari and Apple Maps. Except that you can't even properly replace those apps on iOS.

A new launcher doesn't void the warranty - just install it from the Play Store and set it as default. After you install it, you'll get a pop-up asking which one to set as default when you press the home button. From then on the HTC launcher won't be loaded.

Exactly. And I wasn't even able to put the Newstand away in a folder on my friend's phone, I had to leave it there, empty and never to be used.

Yeah I just didnt feel the phone really. Regardless of whether apple do worse things with their apps and maps. I have a sat nav I don't care.

So for me it's kinda case closed now. The phone sold for £460 on eBay and I posted it today so it was good for me to get a better understanding of android but it wouldn't benefit me enough to change.

It would benefit you to change to a nexus 4 and make a €200 profit.

Yeah it's that kinda thing I don't like the sound of. Having to install other stuff to get rid of something that should be amendable in the first place.

I don't want to go there but this coming from an iPhone user? :heh:

You should know better Ashley. But I'll rise above it and not go there. For Rummy's sake. :)

They used to use Google maps, but with iOS 6 they started using their own.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ios-6-maps

You should know better Ashley. But I'll rise above it and not go there. For Rummy's sake. :)

I was merely joking, we're all good in the hood.