NEurope
nightwolf

Razer mice - help?!

I'm looking at upgrading my keyboard/mouse set-up in the next few weeks (keyboard will come later).

I want to purchase a razer mouse, I've heard some pretty cool things and they seem to be the company I want to put my faith in for something that should hopefully last me a while..

But the problem is...which one?! I've no real clue whats good to look for in a mouse, I don't care if its wired or wireless, I want a good size (I've got quite large hands) and something thats got a bit of weight to it, but apart from that...I'm at a slight loss?

Currently I have a small, almost laptop sized mouse that came with my old keyboard that just seems a bit light and uncomfortable.

So does anyone recommend razer? Anything in particular for a pc-gamer you'd recommend?

I've recently reviewed the Mamba 4G at work and it was really nice. It was large so should be comfortable in your hands, and has both wired and wireless options with a rechargeable battery. It's not MASSIVELY expensive either, and there are plenty of customisable buttons.

I haven't tried any others, but I thought it was pretty good :)

I want a good size (I've got quite large hands)

Personally I have never been happy with a Razer mouse. Had three, and they all broke within 2 months (optical laser didn't work) and I never really liked their ergonomics.

If you're okay with a different brand, I can recommend this:

Logitech MX518

group_1097.jpg

Oldie, but goldie.

That looks pretty good, whilst I do love Logitech products, I'm pretty firmly set on Razer. Hmm.

@Nintendohnut the Mamba is something I was considering as its both wired and wireless as you mention, which really appeals. I'm usually a wireless mouse user as I find it a bit easier to have a mouse without too many wires. But the option is there.

Thanks for the input guys :)

I hear the build quality on the Razer mice is terrible, but I've never used one. I was considering one back when I was getting into Warcraft, but I managed to break the addiction and continued with my bare-bones gear.

There are loads of great YouTube reviews/comparisons of a bunch of mice on the market that could be useful for deciding.

The Logitech G500 is pretty cheap these days and is apparently an absolute titan of performance for the price.

I know you want a Razer but I do have a point, so read on (I don't have any Razer experience to offer you):

I have a Gigabyte M6900 which is amazing for the price (can get one for £15, or the M6980 for a bit more). Although the reason I mention it is because I too have large hands, and the size/shape is great. So you might want to consider one that's a similar size/shape.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=5613index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=5614

I tried out the Logitech MX518 and it felt a bit too small.

One other thing to consider is your grip, i.e. palm versus claw. Make sure you research which mouse suits which.

EDIT: Here's a thread by Shorty which may be of help.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36076

Edited by MoogleViper

Haha.

Thanks fellas, some great advice here. It seems the reason I was quite dubious about which mouse to choose was due to the amount of reviews to read through and the varying advice that has been given.

I've also considered looking into the rat five, its an odd looking mouse, but the point that appeals is because it has weights that allow me to set how heavy it is. However, I know my housemates other half has the Logitech MX518 and he speaks very highly of it.

Now I am even more confused than I was when I started..

Haha.

Thanks fellas, some great advice here. It seems the reason I was quite dubious about which mouse to choose was due to the amount of reviews to read through and the varying advice that has been given.

I've also considered looking into the rat five, its an odd looking mouse, but the point that appeals is because it has weights that allow me to set how heavy it is. However, I know my housemates other half has the Logitech MX518 and he speaks very highly of it.

Now I am even more confused than I was when I started..

To be honest, you can read reviews for weeks and still be no better off. As long as you're finding positive reviews, then that's OK. The main issue with a mouse is how it fits in your hand, and that's going to vary from person to person, hence the varied reviews. So find a few that you like, head on down to PC World, and see how they feel in your hand. Even if they don't have the specific one, make a note of the size and shapes that you like the best, and get the one most similar.

I got a new mouse recently, it was as a gift, my choice and cost wasn't an issue, so of course I looked at all the Razer products etc, and nearly went for one. In the end I realised they were over-featured for the most part. DPI that you would never be able to physically make use of, unnecessary lights and other bells and whistles.

The only one that seemed worth the tag was the Naga with the keypad on the side, if you're big on your MMOs.

Incidentally the Logitech MX510 might be hard to find new, and was essentially succeeded by the G500 - which is what I got in the end and I love it.