Captain Falcon

Name that Game: 2013 Edition!!

ntggif.gif

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Name that game is back once more,

Chock full of laughter and fun galore.

It's 2013 and I think it's time,

So let's start the show with a witty rhyme.

Magnus beats you all hands down,

But I'll rig it this time and make him frown.

If you get it wrong there is no shame,

So come on in and name that game!!

Seriously though guys, what's happened here? We're almost into April and no NTG!! Time to get this thing going again.

I have a couple of rounds ready to go just waiting for me to hit the magic button... or several buttons... but I'm giving you a bit of warning as there is nothing worse than when someone posts a round and some git (read: Magnus) or some incredibly handsome, wonderful example of the human race (read: Captain Falcon - that's me folks) gets them all before anyone has even had a look in.

To that end, I'm contemplating adding a few posting rules just so it means everyone gets a chance to have a go and no one person can rob all the points within 24 hours. I'll certainly make things clear before posting a round and if people have ideas/objections please let me know otherwise it's your own fault. Then you won't post, I won't quiz and everyone looks like a fool... especially you guys, but especially me even more so though perhaps not as much as you - I'm still awesome whatever goes down.

I_Want_You_Mario.jpg

to make this the best thread in this section so I can win one of the end year awardsfor people with too much time on their hands and claim all the glory. Than Magnus can do me a sig and cemment me as the new overlord of Name that Game... unless Dog-amoto threathens to beat me up for it. We can split the award, dude. You can have it Monday to Friday and I can have it on Weekends - deal?

Err... where was I...

Oh yeah...

Name that Game is back baby!!!

Standard Rules

1: In the interest of giving everyone a chance to compete, you can only gain a maximum of five points per round. You can make as many guesses as you like but I will only accept your first 5 correct answers.

For my rounds, there will typically be around 10 games to guess so you're still able to steal around 50% of the points for an entire round if you're good enough. In the event that a round has substantially more than 10 games, then I will consider upping that amount but that will be for that round only and you will be told at the start of the round.

2: Given that there is a points cap under standard ruling of a maximum of five points per player per round, players will limited in terms of how many answers they can give in a given post. The number of potential answers is will restricted to the amount of additional points the player is still capable of scoring in any given round.

For example: at the beginning of a round, players can make up to 5 guesses cumulative across all posts before verification by the quiz host - and each guess must be for a different game/question. If the quiz host informs that they are all incorrect, the number of guesses will once again rest at a maximum potential of 5 answers. If any of the answers are correct, the number of correct answers will be deducted from the maximum number of answers a player can give before verification and so if the player got 2 correct, they will now only be able to guess at 3 different answers.

3: If a period of 24hrs goes by without a single guess, please note this does not mean post as general NTG discussion could still be taking place in the thread, quiz hosts are advised to issue a clue as to the remaining answers. Clues can take what ever form necessary as is suitable to the original question - it could simple be increasing the viewing area of the original image or a written clue in a styling of the quiz host. If an additional 24hrs goes by without any guesses once clues have been provided, the round will end.

Compulsory Rule

4: Whilst I understand that not everyone can guarantee where they will be, and whether they can be here to post, in exactly 24hrs time, a little bit of common courtesy to your fellow players is greatly appreicated. To that end, quiz hosts are asked to give reasonable notice before posting a new round and should at least try to narrow down the time slot for when they aim to make it available - 24 to 36hrs warning seems fair. There is no point anouncing a new round a week in advance as people won't likely remember.

Ideally I would suggest postings be early evening time as people are less likely to play during the day, since at work/school, or in the middle of the night since they will be asleep and that allows people to nip in a claim all the easy points if they keep a different schedule to most. Weekends are a bit more open though.

The 24hrs minimum notice is a hard rule and the timing is more of a guidance but please try to sensible.

Whilst the first three items above are standard rules, there is nothing stopping a quiz host over-ruling them for a Free-For-All or Bonus Round style game if they choose. Item four is none negotiable and to disregard it would be to disregard your fellow players. If you are choosing to overrule the first three points, make it known to competitors when giving your notifcation.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Sounds fun. I didn't see any of the other NTG threads. Had it not been for the reshuffle I may have missed this too.

Is it Theme Hospital?

Getting in early with the guesses here - I like your enthusiasm!!

Alas no, it isn't. But maybe at some point I'll make Theme Hospital an answer and then you can kick yourself when some one beats you to it.

Right...

Rule Number One!!!

01.PNG

In the interest of giving everyone a chance to compete, you can only gain a maximum of five points per round. You can make as many guesses as you like but I will only accept your first 5 correct answers.

For my rounds, there will typically be around 10 games to guess so you're still able to steal around 50% of the points for an entire round if you're good enough. In the event that a round has substantially more than 10 games, then I will consider upping that amount but that will be for that round only and you will be told at the start of the round.

Anyone looking to do their own rounds can apply or disregard this rule but let people know - not letting people know wouldn't be fair and that's the whole point here.

IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THIS RULING?

Feedback will be greatly appreicated!

I have a rule..

DON'T POST STUPID GAMES THAT I'VE NEVER PLAYED :santa:

As it stands, there is no rule number two so all I can suggest is for you to play more games because I'm not making the answer to every game be Pilotwings Resort :p

It all sounds good to me. I suggest another amendment where new rounds need to be announced 24 hours in advance. This will make it so that everybody knows to be in this thread at that time so people can't complain that they missed the round.

Maybe you won't.. :indeed:

Given my brief play time with the game, I likely wouldn't notice even if they all were from PWR so that's five points I won't be getting.

It all sounds good to me. I suggest another amendment where new rounds need to be announced 24 hours in advance. This will make it so that everybody knows to be in this thread at that time so people can't complain that they missed the round.

I meant to say something about that actually - thanks for reminding me.

Whilst I understand that not everyone can guarantee where they will be, and whether they can be here to post, in exactly 24hrs time, a little bit of common courtesy to your fellow players is greatly appreicated. To that end, quiz hosts are asked to give reasonable notice before posting a new round and should at least try to narrow down the time slot for when they aim to make it available - 24 to 36hrs warning seems fair. There is no point anouncing a new round a week in advance as people won't likely remember.

Ideally I would suggest postings be early evening time as people are less likely to play during the day, since at work/school, or in the middle of the night since they will be asleep and that allows people to nip in a claim all the easy points if they keep a different schedule to most. Weekends are a bit more open though.

The 24hrs notice is a hard rule and the timing is more of a guidance but please try to sensible.

IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THIS RULING OTHER THAN DOG-AMOTO WHO I'M TAKING AS BEING A-OK WITH IT EVEN THOUGH I'VE NOT NECESSARILY CLARIFIED ALL THE DETAILS WITH HIM PRIOR TO THIS POST SINCE I JUST MADE THEM UP RIGHT NOW?

In the interest of giving everyone a chance to compete, you can only gain a maximum of five points per round.

IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THIS RULING?

Everyone but Magnus i would presume.

Are we continuing the scores from last time, or re-setting?

Are we allowed to use Google? (To answer obviously - not using Google to compile the questions would be a nightmare! And by nightmare, i mean we'd have to use Bing)

Everyone but Magnus i would presume.

Did you not read my opening post?

"Magnus beats you all hands down,

But I'll rig it this time and make him frown."

Are we continuing the scores from last time, or re-setting?

Are we allowed to use Google? (To answer obviously - not using Google to compile the questions would be a nightmare! And by nightmare, i mean we'd have to use Bing)

Although NTG:2012 never really had a proper final/closing, points will once again start afresh as they would in any other year. Even with this new system, the odds of anyone catching Magnus with his existing points lead would have been slim.

As for the use of everyone's favourite internet friend, there isn't much I can do about it. Whilst I would ask, and hope, that no one is using the image search, no one can really say one way or the other. If your picture is so obscure that you suspect some has used it, you still have to ask yourself if your image was fair to begin with. I tend to grab images from videos anyway which I'd image would help to a degree as it reduces the chances for an exact match.

The only way I would personally allow someone to use Google is for confirming their own suspicions. If they think image 1 is Super Mario Bros., but also worry their memory is paying tricks on them, looking up the game to see if it is how they remember it being is not the greatest crime in the world. In that regard, it's almost like just saving time instead of waiting for the quiz master to confirm or deny your answer. It's a little competitive I guess but it's not the out right cheating of the image search.

In the event it comes down to a word clues, again, how can you say if someone is using it or not and claim otherwise? I was looking at doing an anagram round but worry that it would be Google abused.

The way I see it is if you even have to think about whether something is fair or not, it probably isn't. Making people use Bing certainly isn't fair either.

A couple of suggestions:

- Also limit the number of guesses to five. Once someone has been told that their answer is wrong then they can use that guess again. This way, people can't give away answers by doing too many.

- Perhaps everyone gets an additional guess if there are no correct answers in over 24 hours.

A couple of suggestions:

- Also limit the number of guesses to five. Once someone has been told that their answer is wrong then they can use that guess again. This way, people can't give away answers by doing too many.

- Perhaps everyone gets an additional guess if there are no correct answers in over 24 hours.

When you say about limiting it to five guesses, do you mean that a single post, or collection of posts, can't contain more than five guesses for answers until the quiz host verifies whether they are correct or not?

And the idea is to then increase the total unverified guess count to 6 per user after 24hrs if no points are claimed?

When you say about limiting it to five guesses, do you mean that a single post, or collection of posts, can't contain more than five guesses for answers until the quiz host verifies whether they are correct or not?

And the idea is to then increase the total unverified guess count to 6 per user after 24hrs if no points are claimed?

Essentially, nobody can place more guesses than the max amount of points they can earn in the game.

So in their first post they can have up to 5 guesses.

If they get all 5 wrong, they can place 5 more guesses.

If they get 2 right, they can place 3 more guesses.

That way it means that nobody can guess a game that they can't get a vote for - doing so would mean the next person to see the guess can have a free point.

The "after 24 hours" thing increases the total number of points someone can get from a round (so someone with 5 points can get another one at this point). Either that, or 24 hours of no guesses ends the round and the answers are revealed (to encourage the game to continue).

To anybody who hosts a round: you must do a google image search on your screenshot portion to ensure it does not come up in the results prior to posting your round. All images must come from screengrabs of the video of the game.

Seem fair?

Honestly, I think we can trust each other here in N-E to not do a Google Image Search.

Besides, the correct game is still likely to appear, even if we took the picture from a video. Finding an image where nothing comes up on Google severely limits what we can use as images in the first place.

If you use cut-up images, Google Image Search will not work. I've just tested it on some of the 2012 ones and the only thing it found was N-Europe.

Essentially, nobody can place more guesses than the max amount of points they can earn in the game.

So in their first post they can have up to 5 guesses.

If they get all 5 wrong, they can place 5 more guesses.

If they get 2 right, they can place 3 more guesses.

That way it means that nobody can guess a game that they can't get a vote for - doing so would mean the next person to see the guess can have a free point.

The "after 24 hours" thing increases the total number of points someone can get from a round (so someone with 5 points can get another one at this point). Either that, or 24 hours of no guesses ends the round and the answers are revealed (to encourage the game to continue).

I get you now with regards to how many answers you can give per post - makes sense too.

I think that after 24hrs of no guesses, clues should be given. If answers are still not found and another 24hrs of inactivity goes by, I'd say to end the round. I'm just hesitant in opening up more points for individuals. If you've already got 50% of the points from a round, then at the very least, your lead (if winning) is maintained regardless of anyone else but I would imagine more than two people have correct answers so in all likelihood, you will extend it... just not as much as you could have done if entirely open.

This could be done like the maximum five points rule and be allowed to be overridden by a quiz host of course providing they give notification but otherwise, have it as the standard fall back procedure.

If you use cut-up images, Google Image Search will not work. I've just tested it on some of the 2012 ones and the only thing it found was N-Europe.

That's good to know with regard to images, thanks Cube.

Right, since I reckon we'll crack this ruling lark relatively soon, this post will also mark notification that a round will be posted within the next 24-36hrs. It will probably drop around 6-7pm UK time. Need to find a nice image or something to go along with this so people just glancing through can instantly recognize it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your guessing!!!

ntground1y.png

1. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Coolness Bears +1

2. Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor - Cube +1

4. ActRaiser 2 - Coolness Bears +1

5. Etrian Odyssey 3 - Coolness Bears +1

6. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Jonnas +1

7. Streets of Rage 3 - Cube +1

8. Amazing Island - Jonnas +1

Number 10 is a little different. To get that last point on the board, I want to know who connects all these games

10. Yuzo Koshiro :bowdown: - Coolness Bears +1

Yes, Yuzo Koshiro has provided music on all the games listed above.

Edited by Captain Falcon

2. Aladdin

9. Super Star Wars

10. They're all based on films.

2. Aladdin

9. Super Star Wars

10. They're all based on films.

Nope, nope and nope.

I'm after the name of a person for 10.

Sign in to follow this