N-Europe

A Positive SEGA

Josh64

@Blade It depends how badly you want them! From a value-for-money point, you'd be best off waiting for a compilation, but if we do get one it will no doubt be in a few years time as to not effect sales of VC games too much.

If you have a PS360 though, I highly recommend SEGA MEGA DRIVE Ultimate Collection! You can get it for about a tenner in most places and it has loads of great games, as well as awesome extras in the form of videos and unlockable arcade games.

As long as you get something that allows you to play the equivalent of joining carts, to play the "proper" version of Sonic 3 :smile: I heard from Ville that Sonic Mega Collection requires you to play each game something like 30 times (or something equally ridiculous) in order to unlock them.

As long as you get something that allows you to play the equivalent of joining carts, to play the "proper" version of Sonic 3 :smile: I heard from Ville that Sonic Mega Collection requires you to play each game something like 30 times (or something equally ridiculous) in order to unlock them.

It was kind of unnecessary but all you had to do was launch them 30 times. Just start, exit out, repeat.

Would have been a lot better if it was all unlocked except for bonus games or have some unlock as you completed older games.

As a kid I was SONIC mad. I used to get all of the SONIC comics while at boarding school and had my trusty GameGear with SONIC 1/2 to keep me company. It was an amazing machine (when plugged into the wall!)

I loved SONIC 1 on the GG but SONIC 2 suffered from a first boss that didnt fit the screen properly and made it ROCK hard to get off the first zone. Great experiences though and the SEGA vibe was awesome/rad/tubular in the 90's. Loved the ending music from SONIC1 on the GG too...

Also fell in love with NiGHTS on the Saturn when playing it at a friends house years later. The atmosphere was just beautiful and made me miss the SEGA I'd fallen in love with as a kid. I'd since gone on to Nintendo systems after SONIC 3 on the Megadrive and never looked back.

@tapedeck Oh man, the NiGHTS theme is amazing, brings back so many great memories. The atmosphere in the NiGHTS universe is just astounding, I've never experienced anything like it!

I used to sing this with my friend in my art class at college, the passion was sometimes too much to contain.

EDIT: 4.30 onwards, holy cow...

...YOU'RE THE ONE I WAITED FOR!

I dream, I dream a dream of you girl HOOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by Josh64

Yeah, it's still my go-to christmas song. Christmas NiGHTS only solidified the astounding atmosphere.

In my dreams, I can hear you calling me...

So true.

They say the games industry is bigger and better these days. But for those who experienced SEGA in the 8/16/32/128 bit eras, that (to me) was when gaming was special. SEGA expanded gaming massively giving us genres and experiences no other company would offer (and still cease to today).

Unmarked by modern expectations, corporate analysis and focus groups, was this kooky company who took americanisms and made them, well...SEGA. I miss their independence and their bravery.

Thanks God we still have us some Nintendo, but they always seemed different to SEGA. And yet, together, they made my childhood sweeter.

Edited by tapedeck

Yeah, I love some of the quirky SEGA titles and still find hidden gems that I've missed every now and then. I'd agree that they certainly have a great charm and never cease to amaze me at their originality. For me though, the 128bit era is their greatest!

I just desperately hope that we one day get to see a Space Channel 5 part 3! But even SEGA seem to be hard pressed to take risks now (which is no surprise given the hostility of the industry lately) so I can only imagine that we'd have to be very lucky to see such a thing.

Also, REZ is awesome.