N-Europe

Boss Battles

What I didn't like about that Xenoblade boss fight was the execution of it. It wasn't really imaginative, it was almost a grind fest. Keep doing this until this happens, then do this, then do that all again. All the while, your party can get destroyed and all you can do is try to heal them in vain. There are times when it gets ridiculous.

Controversial, but what if you were meant to fail a boss battle? At least once?

Is that the case in Xenoblade? It is with a certain boss in one of the Dragon Quests (IV or V, I can't remember which).

Not specifically. I'm just wondering; we can criticise boss battles because they're hard etc - but in xenoblade you still get xp even when you fail - what if they wanted it to happen on occasion(obviously not guaranteed, but most often likely) to reinforce a feeling? Of course this is baseless conjecture, hence why I said it would possibly be controversial.

mmm....I think I will add my 2 cents by saying my favourite boss was probably Dark Falz in Phantasy Star Online. It had a really good balance of stages and punished you at one part for attacking without thinking, and there was a really good sense of co-operation between teammates with healing and buffing going on (and timing your mag photon bursts).

Also mad dash for loot at the end. :D

Portal (and Portal 2) have fantastic boss fights. They aren't especially difficult but they are climactic, fun and full of humour as GLaDOS cuts you down with her dry and witty put-downs.

Zelda obviously has amazing boss fights, as does the Metroid series. I think Boss fights are essential to certain types of game but I don't like it when they aren't done well (Halo 4) or are just there for the sake of ending the game in a way that's different enough to the gameplay you've experienced so far, to make it feel like a finale.

Left 4 Dead doesn't really have boss fights as such but at the end of each campaign you're in a set location and you have to survive against an endless horde and 2 tanks. Makes for a climactic and tense ending to a game, especially if you're playing versus mode where two teams of four take turns as survivors and special infected.