N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Although it's worth noting Japan have nothing but the PS4 to play their games since the Wii U is now completely differentiated/failing and Microsoft is always ignored. Well, other than what comes out on PC. They have assured domination.

I'm just wondering if there is a big market for any new console over there now, given the dominance of the handheld market. I do see your point though. If the market is still there then it could be set to clean house, due to the lack of competition ( XBOne ) and lack of interested in the Wii U.

Although it's worth noting Japan have nothing but the PS4 to play their games since the Wii U is now completely differentiated/failing and Microsoft is always ignored. Well, other than what comes out on PC. They have assured domination.

No doubt if the launch is slow the numbers will come eventually, but I think it will do really well at launch there. They must surely be aware of how well the PS4 has done already so it's probably it's in their minds that this is desirable tech.

I'm not expecting the PS4 to sell gangbusters over there. Should have a good launch but after that not expecting much. It doesnt have the games for Japan yet.

I don't know, they have Yakuza: Ishin which got 40 in Famitsu and Ground Zero next month (and is Deep Down out soon?). I suspect it will be like it was here, a good launch with momentum carrying it until the titles start coming. But Japan is strange, so who knows.

I don't know, they have Yakuza: Ishin which got 40 in Famitsu and Ground Zero next month (and is Deep Down out soon?). I suspect it will be like it was here, a good launch with momentum carrying it until the titles start coming. But Japan is strange, so who knows.

Famitsu ratings have very little credibility these days.

That's a bit of an oversimplification of the scenario. In December the Wii U was doing fairly well. This month & last month, everything is doing badly as it usually does.

Until the Wii U is doing 360 numbers, it's not gone and should not be counted out.

Edited by Serebii

I don't think it's oversimplified at all to say the Wii U is failing. It's doing really bad. PS3 numbers are bound to drop given how most people who want it probably have it by now and also the imminent arrival of PS4.

Perhaps the Wii U is doing badly, but saying that the PS4 is the only place they can play games is just not true.

The heat really isn't letting up on Nintendo, the sales pick up was short lived and judging by the recent Direct, they're also completely confused as to what we define as 'Spring'.

If PS4 sales are big in Japan, this may well be the final nail in the coffin for third party support on the Wii U.

Perhaps, but the PS4 could just as easily crash & burn.

Indeed it could, however it's highly unlikely, in the US/Europe at least.

As I said earlier, from last Feb until now Sony have made all the right moves, with great pricing and public awareness. It's gonna take a massive misstep from Sony to derail the train that is the PS4.

The heat really isn't letting up on Nintendo, the sales pick up was short lived and judging by the recent Direct, they're also completely confused as to what we define as 'Spring'.

If PS4 sales are big in Japan, this may well be the final nail in the coffin for third party support on the Wii U.

Problem is that Nintendo obviously planned things assuming that they'd have third party support. As such, for the first year and a half, perhaps two years of the Wii U, everything would have been plotted out with that assumption.

As much as it pains us, they can't just crap out games to fill in the gap.

Indeed it could, however it's highly unlikely, in the US/Europe at least.

As I said earlier, from last Feb until now Sony have made all the right moves, with great pricing and public awareness. It's gonna take a massive misstep from Sony to derail the train that is the PS4.

Considering they were widely applauded for announcing standard features and that they're not going to screw the consumer, much of what they actually did was thanks to Microsoft's intent to screw people. If Microsoft hadn't gone that route early last year, I highly doubt the PS4 would have done as well.

However, yeah you are right. I mean hell, PS4 has a Wii U style drought and the complaints are far less vocal. Sony is going to win this gen, no contest.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

The launch lineup here didn't have anything groundbreaking (particularly in terms of exclusives) and it went on to be the fastest selling console of all time. I think it's going to shift a lot on potential alone.

Completly different markets. The West is a home console dominated market and people were ready for next gen after such a long previous generation and even then PS3/360 sales hadnt fallen off a cliff.

Japan is a market where handheld gaming dominates (and even those machines dont sell on potential alone) and I'm not convinced the console will sell simply on potential.

The coffin is already 6ft deep. Regardless of how the PS4 performs in Japan the Wii U is and will be a graveyard for 3rd party support.

However, yeah you are right. I mean hell, PS4 has a Wii U style drought and the complaints are far less vocal. Sony is going to win this gen, no contest.

Not sure thats true. What was released on the Wii U Jan, Feb, March last year?

Edited by liger05

Problem is that Nintendo obviously planned things assuming that they'd have third party support. As such, for the first year and a half, perhaps two years of the Wii U, everything would have been plotted out with that assumption.

As much as it pains us, they can't just crap out games to fill in the gap.

It's more likely they thought they could catch the expanded market again and coast for a year or so, despite all signs pointing that that market was long gone.

If they had better 3rd party relations then they would have been able to secure their games.

Considering they were widely applauded for announcing standard features and that they're not going to screw the consumer, much of what they actually did was thanks to Microsoft's intent to screw people. If Microsoft hadn't gone that route early last year, I highly doubt the PS4 would have done as well.

I think you give far too little credit to Sony here. Their marketing and price points were outstanding. The fact that they also threw away any gimmicks and just made the machine for the gamer and then again marketed it as such has paid off so far. Microsoft just made it stupidly easy for them. Credit where credit is due and all that.

Perhaps the Wii U is doing badly, but saying that the PS4 is the only place they can play games is just not true.

I said apart from PC, which is true! Microsoft's Xbox offering never takes off/does anything over there, while the Wii U has been abandoned and will continue to be mostly a first party game player.

All the other non handheld games from all other developers are only getting to the Japanese by way of PC and PS4. Given a lot of people still prefer console over PC gaming that gives Sony one heck of a domination.

Edited by Sheikah

It's more likely they thought they could catch the expanded market again and coast for a year or so, despite all signs pointing that that market was long gone.

If they had better 3rd party relations then they would have been able to secure their games.

I think you give far too little credit to Sony here. Their marketing and price points were outstanding. The fact that they also threw away any gimmicks and just made the machine for the gamer and then again marketed it as such has paid off so far. Microsoft just made it stupidly easy for them. Credit where credit is due and all that.

Were there not reports from E3 of Sony not actually setting price etc. until after Microsoft's conference? I seem to recall that somewhere, but I may be wrong.

I'm not saying that Sony didn't do well, I'm saying that the circumstances severely boosted them.

Completly different markets. The West is a home console dominated market and people were ready for next gen after such a long previous generation and even then PS3/360 sales hadnt fallen off a cliff.

It has been just as long for the Japanese, if not longer (they had to wait longer for the PS4). Sure they love handheld gaming but we all know that they love home consoles too.

There is a very pungent scent of denial emanating from these words.

The PS4 does not have a Wii U style drought. A Wii U style drought would be for just about all third party developers to pull out from making games on the PS4 while at the same time first party Sony studios released games infrequently.

PS4's lack of games at the very moment is common for a new console since games need time to be made (I'm talking about exclusives, not multiformat releases ported to every console).

Edited by Sheikah

Sony's PR has been very good. XB1 was so bad I can't actually believe it's selling as well as it is. It's like catching the mikman with your wife and still getting your milk delivered.

That said Sony have been sneaky bastards, they made a big thing of eyetoy with the robot demo, but neglected to mention that eyetoy is not in the box and likewise made a big thing about being cheaper than XB1 again without mentioning that the eyetoy is not in the box.

I also really don't like the fact neither Sony or Microsoft let you know there is a subscription to play online. I have heard so many stories (some on here) where people have purchased a new console and only when you are ready to go online you get hit with the subscription bombshell.

That said Sony have been sneaky bastards, they made a big thing of eyetoy with the robot demo, but neglected to mention that eyetoy is not in the box and likewise made a big thing about being cheaper than XB1 again without mentioning that the eyetoy is not in the box.

Why would they need to mention that? Not once has a console been launched with a camera included in the box, before the X1. It is the standard not to have one included, so why bother mentioning what has always been the case?

The PS4 does not have a Wii U style drought. A Wii U style drought would be for just about all third party developers to pull out from making games on the PS4 while at the same time first party Sony studios released games infrequently.

Really? Can you list them? Apart from EA I wasn't aware of this. I mean I look at the charts and apart from FIFA 14, I have most of these games on Wii U.

Even if they haven't said anything, what decent third party studios are producing games for the Wii U besides those for X and Bayonetta 2? I'm not aware of anything extraordinary. You only need to look at the confirmed games coming to PS4/X1 to see the discrepancy is massive.

Why would they need to mention that? Not once has a console been launched with a camera included in the box, before the X1. It is the standard not to have one included, so why bother mentioning what has always been the case?

because they advertised it. There should have least been some small print clarifying that an additional purchase was necessary. It's the same as saying PS4 is cheaper is than XB1 without actually clarifying that you get more in the box with XB1. I would be pretty pissed off to have seen that demo (which was brilliant) forked out £330 on the console only to then find out I would need to pay an extra £100 to do what was advertised on the box.

It's like when you see an advert for a car, they always show the top spec model, but in the small print state this is the top model @ £27,500 but the basic car is £20,000. They let you know you are not getting what's in the picture.

because they advertised it. There should have least been some small print clarifying that an additional purchase was necessary. It's the same as saying PS4 is cheaper is than XB1 without actually clarifying that you get more in the box with XB1. I would be pretty pissed off to have seen that demo (which was brilliant) forked out £330 on the console only to then find out I would need to pay an extra £100 to do what was advertised on the box.

It's like when you see an advert for a car, they always show the top spec model, but in the small print state this is the top model @ £27,500 but the basic car is £20,000. They let you know you are not getting what's in the picture.

No, you see, it's Microsoft that pushed a camera being so important that it had to be included in the box. Sony never needed to clarify something that was never confused to begin with.

A better analogy would be for every car ever made to have never come with a sun roof when you buy the car, and for you then to criticise a company for not including a sun roof with the car. It just doesn't make any sense what you're arguing but I'm not sure you realise that.

A large part of me also thinks that people paying £350 without having invested even the briefest of time reading the box contents on the side/internet deserve everything they get.

Even if they haven't said anything, what decent third party studios are producing games for the Wii U besides those for X and Bayonetta 2? I'm not aware of anything extraordinary. You only need to look at the confirmed games coming to PS4/X1 to see the discrepancy is massive.

don't answer a question with a question.

You stated that pretty much every developer had abandoned the Wii U. I asked you to list them and all you did was list games that are actually exclusive to Wii U, the complete opposite of what you had claimed.

Of course there are games that won't come to Wii U, nobody bought a Wii U to play GTA5 or Battlefield, but the flip side of that coin is that Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda etc