NEurope
are1981

I would not have thought HP is a company full of amateurs

Well, it is.

In Norway they had a trade-in promotion in September and October: purchase a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer, and get NOK 600 (around £65) back.

That did not work at all.

Background: My parents needed a new portable PC and a printer, so I helped find the proper products, and ordered for them. I ordered a HP ProBook 6570b (B6P80EA#ABN) (£850) and a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (CM750A#BEQ) (£170), from two different sellers, and recieved them both the same week.

My history with HP:

• September 27th: The printer arrived. The webform for the printer trade-in order was so large it took half an hour to complete. OK, this may be expected, they want their data.
  • I sent HP my reciept the same evening, the reciept I got from the seller, an 'official HP partner'.
  • I got an autogenerated e-mail after a few days telling me my return order would be cancelled in two days because reciept was not sufficient.
  • I wrote to HP, asking what they want. The same day I wrote to the seller, telling them their reciept is not good enough. I got a reciept they believed is good enough, and I sent it to HP. I sent several messages to HP, once about every two days, asking them not to cancel my order, and asking for help, without getting one reply.
  • October 16th: The first human reply from HP! The needed another receipt, not good enough, again.
  • I sent an e-mail to the seller, demanding they help me with the HP trade-in order, or I would demand to return the printer for a refund. I got a new reciept, but no comment to my demands. I send HP the new reciept. I again also sent a couple of messages to HP, a few days apart, asking for information, because they did not reply after getting the new reciept.
  • October 22nd: HP actually responds again, and tell me the new reciept is also not sufficient.
  • Within hours of the HP reply I e-mail the seller, the 'official partner', and they say, "we see now that the previous reciepts we sent you were wrong, here is a proper reciept". I sent it to HP, and I also asked how a seller can be an 'official partner' without any knowledge on what kind of reciept is required for this heavily advertised HP promotion.
  • October 23rd: An autogenerated message notified me that the return got approved, and they gave me a pick-up date. As expected at this point, I did not get a human reply to my message the previous day.
  • The pick-up day came, and the transport company that picked up the old printer did not even give me a reciept on the pick-up. I wrote to HP, and asked them to acknowledge that they had recieved the printer. You think I got a reply? You guessed right. No.
  • So now, my old printer is somewhere, I do not know where. Although useless, it was worth NOK 600! HP still does not respond.
  • November 12th: I sent an e-mail message to the seller demanding to return the printer, and seven messages containing all my communication with HP. The ninth message I sent tonight to the seller, contained my lesson on customer service, a course HP did not take.

HP has used one e-mail address to communicate with me ([email protected]), and yet they fail to keep the e-mail subject and message/communication history intact. The communication with them in my browser e-mail client is a huge mess. Even though Gmail combine e-mail messages with the same subject, I have seven 'threads' with my communication, or the lack thereof, with HP.

HP manufacture servers and other hardware built for communication. I would think they managed e-mail support!

They above bullet points does not even scratch the surface. I have recieved eleven autogenerated messages, and two actual human replies, and that is all I have recieved to my eighteen e-mail messages requesting help and information.

I have spent at least five hours writing to HP and the seller.

I am sick and tired of this company, I will never again purchase their products. I really regret I also ordered the HP ProBook for my parents the same week as I ordered the printer!

This post probably has a lot of typos, and generally poor English, but I am so tired of HP I can't think straight.

(And yes, I have the proper computer skills. I have not sent them a txt- or doc-file with text copied off the order confirmation from the seller's webshop, thinking that is a proper reciept, or something stupid like that.)

Edited by are1981

I actually own a HP laptop (hp pavilion dv7), and it's the worst computer I have ever seen. After only 5 minutes it overheats, so it needs to be placed on wooden blocks. Those cooling pads they sell in stores aren't even strong enough to keep the CPU cool...

I mailed to HP if they didn't have a solution for the problem. I was redirected to some sort of cheap faq page. Apparently an outdated BIOS was causing the fan to mallfunction, causing the high temperatures. I didn't really get how a laptop I just bought could already have an outdated BIOS, but hey I just downloaded the installer. When I installed the file however the computer glitched up totally, I lost all my files and the BIOS update never worked. I don't even dare to boot that installer again, my laptop could have been broken already.

Now I've also tried to clean the fan manually, but the shitty design made it so that you can only access the fan if you remove all other parts. And by that I really do mean all other parts I could think off. I searched a youtube video on how to disassembe my laptop (alot of people seem to have the same problem) and you need to get out the HD, RAM, CPU, keyboard, and yes even the screen needs to be detached. It's far to difficult to just have the ability to clean the fan, I mean every fan needs to be cleaned sometimes, but HP made it as good as impossible for anyone who is not professional with computers.

Another solution HP presented me is this: I had to make another battery sheme for the computer. In the sheme I must go to advanced settings and make it so that the CPU can't use more than 70 % capacity. This prevents the overheating. It also does make my laptop 30 % less powerfull haha! It's the worst solution I have ever heard of. The HP costumer service is really horrible, and I'm totally not satisfied with my HP hardware :p

My Laptop is a HP Pavillion dv6 and it's still working fine. I had to do what Eenuh was talking about, take the whole thing apart to clean the fan, but it wasn't actually that hard. I thought I broke it for a while but it turned out I just forgot to screw some of the screws. So I don't really have any problems with HP.

Their customer service sounds almost as bad as ebay and PayPal's.

I would say way worse than eBay's customer service. In my experience, eBay at least respond to queries.

The HP costumer service is really horrible, and I'm totally not satisfied with my HP hardware :p

I am so furious at HP now. I do not know what could help me calm down. I do not know if I am even able to sleep now.

My Laptop is a HP Pavillion dv6 and it's still working fine. I had to do what Eenuh was talking about, take the whole thing apart to clean the fan, but it wasn't actually that hard. I thought I broke it for a while but it turned out I just forgot to screw some of the screws. So I don't really have any problems with HP.

Despite the style of the artwork, I don't believe that's Eenuh. :heh:

Haha, oops. I mean m_rock.

Also from Belgium.

I call conspiracy.

UPS.

1. Package gets delivered to them from another company to be sent to me. It goes through Germany to get here.

2. It's a COD (Cash on Delivery). It states card, cheques and cash accepted.

3. UPS try to deliver Monday. The forms for the COD are missing so I can't pay for it.

4. UPS try to deliver Tuesday. For no good reason, they won't accept cheque or card, and I didn't have enough cash on me. Driver said they they'll come back tomorrow.

5. The package is marked as "Return to shipper". Their website says that they will attempt to deliver three times. They have only attempted twice and both times it was problems on their end, not mine, so they shouldn't count.

6. I contact them. The staff say they'll contact the depot it's at.

7. I get a phone call from them. The apparently can't do anything about it, but won't explain why they can't simply put a notice on their system to send it back to me.

8. The package is now in Germany.

And that's only part of the story of this particular package, although for the other problems the staff have been very responsive and have explained in detail what caused the problems.

UPS.

1. Package gets delivered to them from another company to be sent to me. It goes through Germany to get here.

2. It's a COD (Cash on Delivery). It states card, cheques and cash accepted.

3. UPS try to deliver Monday. The forms for the COD are missing so I can't pay for it.

4. UPS try to deliver Tuesday. For no good reason, they won't accept cheque or card, and I didn't have enough cash on me. Driver said they they'll come back tomorrow.

5. The package is marked as "Return to shipper". Their website says that they will attempt to deliver three times. They have only attempted twice and both times it was problems on their end, not mine, so they shouldn't count.

6. I contact them. The staff say they'll contact the depot it's at.

7. I get a phone call from them. The apparently can't do anything about it, but won't explain why they can't simply put a notice on their system to send it back to me.

8. The package is now in Germany.

And that's only part of the story of this particular package, although for the other problems the staff have been very responsive and have explained in detail what caused the problems.

Reminds me of my first PC:

1: Saved up 1000GBP and bought the highest-spec PC I could from Dixons (When it was still Dixons) and also paid another 200 GBP for the extended warranty.

2: The first day I got it, the whole thing completely cocked up after an hour and would only work if I rebooted the system from the original system CDs.

3: Went to University, within a week, the floppy drive (before USB, I know...) which I used to back up all my lecture notes started to corrupt files on the floppy disk and on the hard drive.

4: By the end of the year, it had started to completely collapse at random - sudden, unprovoked BSOD or shuit down. This computer had NEVER been on the internet, by the way.

5: Got back for the summer. Spent about 50 GBP in phone calls to tech support before they sent out an engineer, who took out a "faulty" RAM stick.

6: Week later, precisely the same problem. Another 20 quid on phone calls, another visit from the engineer. Removes the second "faulty" RAM stick which he installed.

7: The fan subsequently dies, frying the CPU. I got another call-out and another CPU and fan.

8: Same shit, again.

9: This time I go back to the store where I bought it and say "Hey, what about your "no lemons" policy? Two problems within a year and I get a replacement?" to which the response was: it has to be exactly the same problem with exactly the same un-replaced component. Which obviously is impossible as they ALWAY replace defective parts immediately.

10: Eventually, the store manager comes around and gives me a replacement.

11: That breaks down after about 15 months. I call to get it fixed... but the warranty I bought only covered the original machine. To get the new one fixed, it would cost 50 squids for the call-out plus costs of parts.

12: First suicide attempt.