N-Europe

Stewart Lee (comedian)

dwarf

Stewart Lee is comfortably my favourite stand-up comedian. If you haven't seen his '41st Best Stand-up Ever' routine I strongly recommend you do so immediately, the whole thing is up on YouTube along with every episode of his Comedy Vehicle series.

(Don't fret, the performance isn't entirely cut into two minute segments.)

Any fans here?

He and Richard Herring were AWESOME on Fist of Fun and TMWRNJ. Both of them apart are just not as good. It's like Mitchell without Webb.

I saw Stewart Lee at Glastonbury in 2001 and he was good, but again, without Richard Herring, the spark wasn't there. Ross Noble quite literally rubs shit in the face of every other stand up, ever.

He is quite funny, but i don't like watching him on account of him being a 'bit of a dick'.

I understand why other people find him funny, but a lot of his humour seems to come from being cruel about other people and just generally being a grumpy angry man. The odd clip here and there is ok, but over the course of an entire show i think it would make me feel uncomfortable.

Anywho that's just my opinion.

He and Richard Herring were AWESOME on Fist of Fun and TMWRNJ. Both of them apart are just not as good. It's like Mitchell without Webb.

I saw Stewart Lee at Glastonbury in 2001 and he was good, but again, without Richard Herring, the spark wasn't there. Ross Noble quite literally rubs shit in the face of every other stand up, ever.

He's improved a hell of a lot since then. His old material is good but it doesn't quite cut the mustard.

He is quite funny, but i don't like watching him on account of him being a 'bit of a dick'.

I understand why other people find him funny, but a lot of his humour seems to come from being cruel about other people and just generally being a grumpy angry man. The odd clip here and there is ok, but over the course of an entire show i think it would make me feel uncomfortable.

Anywho that's just my opinion.

I don't think you've seen enough of him. One moment he's self-critical and self-deprecating, the next he's ridiculing the audience for not being intelligent enough to enjoy his comedy, the next he's fabricating a long-winded story about a celebrity, and all of the time it is done with a sense of irony. He's not like Frankie Boyle, who'll just make an off-the-cuff joke about a child with down-syndrome. There's almost always more to it. It's the self-awareness that makes his shows so entertaining.

Yeah, I do very much like Stewart Lee, although I'm not as up to date with his material as I should be. I used to love Fist of Fun in the '90s and I greatly enjoy Comedy Vehicle when I watch it. He's a real master at developing a theme - if you stick with him it usually becomes hilarious.