NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Oxford Street GAME to close

Don't think I care in the slightest. It was the most pathetic excuse for a flagship store that I've ever seen. No different to any of their other stores and all of the midnight releases were just dull.

A gaming flagship store needs some serious wow factor displaying a true love for games. It needs to have somebody on the shop floor playing demo games against the customers, more signings and events that have some true value to attend. Stuff like the opportunity against Jabba the Gabe Newell or Mr Moore from EA. Fuck I mean c'mon it doesn't take a heap of imagination to have crazy and fun things going on like games themed face painting going on or a real fan art wall.

These people need to pull their damn finger out!

Don't think I care in the slightest. It was the most pathetic excuse for a flagship store that I've ever seen. No different to any of their other stores and all of the midnight releases were just dull.

A gaming flagship store needs some serious wow factor displaying a true love for games. It needs to have somebody on the shop floor playing demo games against the customers, more signings and events that have some true value to attend. Stuff like the opportunity against Jabba the Gabe Newell or Mr Moore from EA. Fuck I mean c'mon it doesn't take a heap of imagination to have crazy and fun things going on like games themed face painting going on or a real fan art wall.

You have some good ideas for what a GAME store should be/do. I'd make an effort to go in more if stores weren't just games here, games there, preowned games done.

Apparently Stratford is now their flagship store anyway. At least it looks different.

6516671049_2051a7bc37_z.jpg6516673163_ac9cfeb2e6_z.jpg

I've always found the OS branch to be poor. I know I'm snobby because no Game employee will be as good as I was (:heh:) but seriously, they're always slow and pretty useless in there.

I went there the other day to see if they had Boom Street. I'd seen it on the net for £20 and was willing to pay a bit extra to get it then and there. Saw a pre-owned copy for £35 and checked their site in store, where you can get a new copy for the same price.

Went to the counter and waited for over five minutes (being the only person in the queue) and said something along the lines of "can you check the price is still £35 on this please?" and he got all confused and went to get the disk. I then said "I just need you to check the price please" and he seemed confused. I know it's an odd request, but not a particularly unclear one (in hindsight I should have removed the price first).

His colleague explained and when he said it was still £35 I said its the same price, but new, on their website his colleague butted in "but why don't you get it pre-owned, you still get a guarantee" and I reminded them I can get it new for the same price (and half the price online elsewhere) and she said "but you could have it now" I just walked away shrugging my shoulders and said "I'm in no rush". Bloody pushy people.

[/rant]

Ashleys Story

That's brilliant.

It's a wonder that GAME haven't learnt their lesson after the crisis they were in earlier in the year. The prices are still stupidly high, the trade in value still sucks and staff are still incompetent.

Not that it bothers me in the slightest. I started using Shopto last year for my gaming goods and have never looked back since. Cheaper prices, reward points and most of the time I get my games 2 days early! If I do trade games in I tend to go to HMV. I get a decent price and if no games are out that i'm after I can spend the credit of blurays/cds instead. :D

Is the one in Stratford really their main store now? It isn't bigger compared to other stores and whilst it is a bit more minimalistic in the displays (i.e. they have not rammed as many as they possibly could in the shop) I don't see it as different. That gaming sphere I've never seen being used. The other difference I did notice is they have separate tills so the queues don't build up so rapidly.

Is the one in Stratford really their main store now? It isn't bigger compared to other stores and whilst it is a bit more minimalistic in the displays (i.e. they have not rammed as many as they possibly could in the shop) I don't see it as different. That gaming sphere I've never seen being used. The other difference I did notice is they have separate tills so the queues don't build up so rapidly.

It says it is in their official statement. Whether it's always been or whether they're saying it is now that OS is closing who knows.

Plus can you really have a flagship store the best part of 10 miles outside of Central?

The stores adjacent to it dwarf the GAME store in Wesfield, how they can label it as their flagship is beyond me.

how they can label it as their flagship is beyond me.

It's their best option? ::shrug:

This is actually a little surprising and even more disappointing, but something I guess we're gonna need to get used to.

Now where will I go to contribute the raw stench of my BO toward midnight launch queues?

Now where will I go to contribute the raw stench of my BO toward midnight launch queues?

Wait till iPhone 5 is out, sure there will be a line somewhere :heh:

I'd love to see some of those changes that you mentioned.

I've only visited the store a few times, but there was no special feeling about it at all. It just feels like every other store. In reality, it should feel like the best GAME store in the UK, as it should be the best that GAME have to offer. Very meh.

I'm hoping we'll get a new competitor who will come in at some point and revolutionise gaming stores. They're very drab at the moment and just seem to be a place where you can either buy over-priced games or pre-owned titles. No wow factor.

Sign in to follow this