N-Europe

Virus problem or something

Tales

In short, random words get translated to links with advertisement and ads shows up in larger pictures. I circled around in the pictures below. MSE, Avast, AVG, Ad-aware and Spybot all comes up empty. When I was running the different programs, one at a time of course, the computer turned very slow and pretty much froze, had to hard reset three times before I gave up and are now running on safe modus. I'll do another run with programs to see if they can come up with something this time around, but if you have any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

ad2.png

ad1.png

Also AVG hijacked my home page and I don't how to change it on Chrome.

Try Malware Bytes. Also could try seeing what's running on startup by typing msconfig into the run/start menu and clicking on the start up tab and disable anything that looks suspicious.

As for Chrome it's under On Start Up > Open Specific Pages > Set Pages. Should just be on the main settings page if your up to date.

A quick check and it doesn't seem to affect IE and Firefox. Malware Bytes removed something and I unchecked a suspicious looking thing as instructed but the problem is still there. Managed to start laptop in unsafe modus(Malware Bytes had to reset the computer) but it starts slower than usual.

And I'm back in safe modus. Like earlier programs stop working and nothing can be opened so I hard reset to get back in safe modus.

I don't use Chrome but a quick google tells me this to empty your cache

Delete all your data

Click the wrench icon wrench icon on the browser toolbar.

Select Tools.

Select Clear browsing data.

In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for the types of information that you want to remove.

Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. Select beginning of time to delete everything.

Click Clear browsing data.

If it doesn't effect IE or Firefox have you considered uninstalling Chrome?

If your lucky the malware might have just hidden itself within the Chrome folders so an uninstall (followed by a Registry clean - try "C Cleaner" or "Glary Utilities") and then reinstall Chrome might work.

If you not lucky the malware could be hiding somewhere else and will just reinsert itself into Chrome when you reinstall it.

Here's something else to try.

Back in Safe Mode, back to Msconfig and turn off EVERYTHING in the start menu.

Then restart to normal mode and see if it still happens.... just to confirm that it is indeed something from the start up menu (since you said you turned something off but the problem was still there)

Check all your chrome add ons/extensions too. I don't really use them in Chrome myself, so I might be useless, but I did think one of them might be the culprit. What've you got listed in Settings -> Extensions? Anything?

There's nothing in the extension but some of the virus programs that added themselves and a thing that stops me from accidently closing Chrome but I have had that for a while.

I uninstalled Chrome and used CC cleaner but the laptop still acted up. So I did what Mokong suggested and turned off everything in the start up tab in msconfig. The laptop was back to normal when starting up but when using IE it still freezes up and stop reacting after a few minutes like before. Firefox seems to work great so far though.

There's nothing in the extension but some of the virus programs that added themselves and a thing that stops me from accidently closing Chrome but I have had that for a while.

I uninstalled Chrome and used CC cleaner but the laptop still acted up. So I did what Mokong suggested and turned off everything in the start up tab in msconfig. The laptop was back to normal when starting up but when using IE it still freezes up and stop reacting after a few minutes like before. Firefox seems to work great so far though.

Righty well aside from the IE hiccup then assuming one of the Start Up programs is the culprit you could now try doing a bit of trail and error and turn things in the start up menu one at a time (or 2 or 3 at a time) until the issue comes back and then you'll be able to narrow down which program exactly is causing the issue and you'll be able to see where it's .exe file is located.

Or maybe try turning back on just the top half of teh start up items first and see if it comes back or not and at least then might help you narrow down which program it is faster.

And you'd have a a file name to google and share with us.

Well Firefox broke down too. I'm back in safe modus because at least Internet works and I can do most stuff except watching Olympic on streams.

I can try what you suggested, but I'll wait until tomorrow because I have had enough of this for today. Is there any point though, the computer didn't get that much better. Anyway, I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble.

Hhhmm... I was hoping your IE hiccup earlier was just IE being IE, if Firefox is now acting up too maybe the issue has moved from Chrome to the other browsers?

Maybe it is not a start up program but something that starts when a browser starts?

Here's a method I used for a recent Virus issue on my cousins laptop, might help with yours even though it's a different virus ya never know.

First start up the comp in Safe Mode WITH Networking.

2nd: As it seems to be something attaching itself to your browsers might want to check a few settings in each browser. Mainly the Proxy setting.... just in case the virus had changed the setting and is forcing your browsers through its own proxy server when you open them.

- In IE check this from "tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings" And check if the check box for Proxy settings is checked....if it is UNCHECK IT

- In firefox go "Firefox > Options > Options > Advanced > Network Tab > settings" and make sure "No Proxy" is what is selected

- In Chrome...again I don't have Chrome so I just googled and found this To set up or change network connections, follow these steps:

Click the Tools tools menu menu.

Select Settings.

Click Show advanced settings.

In the "Network" section, click Change proxy settings . This will open the Internet Properties dialog where you can adjust your network settings. See information in the Microsoft help site for more details.

So once we're sure the malware didn't mess with your proxy settings and hopefully your browsers are now working in Safe Mode, stay in Safe Mode with Networking

And download this first RKill

Run that and hopefully it finds something, note if it does find something it will just stop that process NOT remove it. Stopping it will hopefully make it easier for an Anti-Virus program to find and then remove it.

Even if Rkill finds nothing still do this. Download Malwarebytes and install and have that run a full scan.

Note: If you already have Malwarebytes installed I suggest might be a good idea to uninstall it and reinstall it from a new downloaded install file. Just incase the virus changed something in your currently installed version to hide itself. (This could be why your MSE and other AV programs aren't finding it either.... if you do find it be sure to update your AV programs (or maybe reinstall them all again)

Proxy is fine for IE, couldn't find any "No proxy" box in Firefox. RKill and Malwarebytes found nothing.

Even though the computer/browsers acted up with all startup boxes unchecked, I tried what you suggested earlier and set to begin a trial and error to see what program it could be. After the password screen the computer froze, only the background from the password screen, the mouse and the box that says the computer is set to Norwegian in the top left was present. Hard reset and it froze two more times after the password screen, those with black screen but mouse is visible.

Can I do that system recovery with the discs and all that stuff? I burned it on four disc when I got the computer and should have them laying around somewhere. If that is going to fix everything I want to do it.