NEurope
Ellmeister

The Recession

Like a few others, I've been in the 'University bubble' so I can't really say whether the recession has affected me personally but it's definitely hit where I live pretty hard. Admittedly, the increased cost of travel back and forth to Uni definitely hit me hard in some respects, as did the increase in food prices (or as it is in some cases, the decrease in quantity while the price stays the same).

Now that I'm finished with my undergrad and looking for jobs, both generally and within a psychology based role, and there are jobs out there. Plenty of RA jobs turning up for psychology positions and PhDs being offered although general jobs, like shop assistants or bar staff, are a bit thin on the ground where I live and the surrounding area as more places are closing than remaining open it seems these days.

The issue with all these psych jobs coming up is that they very few are likely to take anyone on with the standard MA/BSc psychology degree (even in voluntary positions), as I and several friends can attest to. Which is why so many of us are now looking to go back into uni to do a Masters to try and get to the base level of qualifications that people are wanting these days while, at the same time, looking for anything job wise to get a foot in the door.

While there are jobs, when you consider just how many people are applying for them, it equates to there being very little on offer. You'd think there'd be some business bigwigs looking at the unemployment situation and consider doing something such as setting up new businesses. I mean, my local cinema only opened up in 2010 after being shut for 15 or so years and was bought up by a 23 year old and it's been a huge success so it just seems strange that businesses seem to be holding onto profits/money (or in some cases, hiding it from the government so they can pay a superb 0% tax) rather than putting it out there to stimulate the economy. Yes, it's risky but if a 23 year old can bring back a dead cinema and make it a huge success, surely big businesses can do something.

I now work for PwC, in its consulting practice. Job is fun and I get to travel around a lot (with all expenses paid!). I think I remember that you got a job last year for KPMG?

Nice! Are you training for a qualification?

Nice! Are you training for a qualification?

Nope, no more exams for me! I think after taking my 13th final year exam I decided I wanted to avoid any kind of education for a while. As long as I'm good enough, I'll get my first promotion after two years, then hopefully relative job stability.

I'm in a dead-end job taking the crap from the public who have had their livelyhoods ripped from them (aka, the comfy benefit cushion which has turned into a brick). I thought the job i had in 2009 (when the recession hit) was good for life, i was wrong. I very nearly moved out with my then missus, but because of the threat to my job i chose to remain at home and she ended the relationship and made my life hell.

So yeah, i'm saving money to move out again. But i don't see myself moving out anytime soon. It's pretty bad, there are no worthy jobs to go for.

Oh, and due to the MP's i've not had a payrise in 2 years. Prices have risen, yet my money stays the same.

Life is definitely harder to do well in since the recession started back in 2008, although it was definitely a kick up the arse for me. A lot of admin type jobs just vanished and made me realise the importance of getting a skilled job.

I didn't go to university. I decided to take up IT and it has taken years to get where I currently am. My salary is double what I was on back in 2008 and my job is pretty cool (I look after around 1% of the Internet). My currently role feels like 50% hard work and 50% good luck, but I think that if you give things 100% of your effort, you will succeed. People will see hard work and reward you for it.

Edited by Pyxis

While I haven't taken job hunting properly yet, I know what kind of tribulations await me.

When I first entered college, Civil Engineering was a "safe" option. Good demand, healthy market, my father owns an architecture company, which guarantees some connections as well...

And now, the market is dying. Companies that invest in Portugal see no profit back, and those that survive do so by investing abroad. My father's own company shrunk to a fifth of what it used to be in the past 2-3 years. The crisis is not even at the core of the problem, as all it is doing is mask the real issue: incompetent legislators and unsustainable laws make it so building anything in Portugal is a nightmare, and the crisis guarantees that nobody important or influential notices this (if they did, things could start to change).

As it stands, there are two options in my field: academic research, or working abroad. The first option is a no-no for me, which leaves me with emigration to consider.

I thought Germany would be good. I can now confirm it isn't :heh: Other European countries don't suit me for various reasons. I'm left with Brazil, Canada and the US as my main options. Developing countries such as Angola and Colombia don't sound too bad, either, but nothing I'd consider permanent.

So yeah, emigration. Something I didn't even think about a few years back.