N-Europe

Catalyst Control Centre out of focus

EEVILMURRAY

OK, I think I've got a HDMI cable working to the extent that I can stay on for longer than a minute. But the display I've got is terribly fuzzy and blurry. Every website I look on (such as this http://www.aoclarkejr.com/ati-catalyst-9-9-overcan-and-underscan-options.html)

All show the ability to configure in the third image. All I have the option to identify, which doesn't need to be done as I'm well aware of which monitor it's pertaining to.

@Cube, did you have this problem?

[This is neglecting the fact that the display doesn't fit the screen. Using the scaling options can bring it so everything is on the monitor, but there are still black lines above and below. But I'd like to get a non-retina raping display before I consider tackling this.]

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

The resolution is 1920x1080, which it is set on currently. Changing the resolution doesn't help. Which option under My Digital Flat-Panels contains the options I seek? Nothing I see there seems to have any bearing on this.

Here's a nice print screen, hopefully you can see the text as piss-poorly as I.

CCC.jpg

Neither work :( The scaling can semi-help if you overscan to the max but you end up missing a big chunk of the display as it zooms in. The cleartype thing didn't do anything either :( All the Quick Fox examples looked exactly the same. I picked the ones which I think looked vaguely better but no noticeable result. The best thing I've managed to do is make the resolution down to 1600 x 900 and it's made the text more manageable, but the display is still fuzzy and the colours still feel a little off.

@Sheikah! anything?

I thought HDMI was supposed to make everything crisper :( but all it's done is try to compress all available text (I've had to create a custom DPI for text on windows [doesn't seem to affect forum/website text]) and make things look faded and fuzzy.

EDIT: FUCK. THIS. SHIT. I'm going back to VGA with that adapter. Just tried it now and it seems to be doing alright for me at present (touch wood) I'll be taking this HDMI cable back for a refund tomorrow, the picture was shockingly bad. Looking at that print screen on this it looks fine. But it was cramped as fuck on HDMI.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

HDMI is a digital cable so usually you can't have a good quality to it (either you get a signal or you don't). Your Xbox 360 might have come with one (my elite did) so try that instead.

If HDMI stops your PC switching off you can at least use that to update the BIOS and drivers that I listed in my last post.

Try using the HDMI and instead of using the catalyst program, right click on the background and try clicking change resolution. Maybe if you adjust it there it'll work?

That's how I was changing the res with the HDMI. I use a HDMI cable with my Ps3 and gave that one a try but with the same results.

I've been on the VGA again now for awhile with no problems. Still can't figure out what happened to begin with :S

So it displays worse through HDMI than VGA, set on the same resolution? I don't know if it's the same, but I don't actually run at 1280x800 because it's almost so defined, it appears a bit blurry, if that makes sense.

NB the resolution aspect ratio has to match the ratio of your monitor (although I'm sure you know this). e.g. 800 x 600 pixels or 1024 x 768 matches the old school 4:3 (TV screen shape) ratio. So if you're using a resolution that's not matching your screen it'll look weird.

Ah, I had an issue where I had to completely uninstall Virtu MVP (that function of AMD cards whereby it uses the default onboard graphics alongside your graphics card to boost graphics performance) when trying to play The Witcher 2. I couldn't fully disable it and had to completely uninstall it.

It could be that not having the Frozr III edition of the 7850 card (stays cooler) means you can't clock it to max... a way to test this is to incrementally increase your clock rate then run a 10 minute stress test using Prime95 to see whether your system can handle it (try not to gauge 78 degrees).

I'll give that to a try where I get to a point where the standard isn't good enough. The only game I have that I can't run at max (or way above max in the case of Skyrim, with graphics enhancing mods and much bigger textures) is GTAIV, but that's due to how terribly Rockstar ported it.