NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dan-likes-trees

Mad Men

It's on my to-watch list.

It's on many peoples' list of the top four TV shows of the past decade along with Sopranos, Breaking Bad and The Wire. I've seen those three and loved them, and heard nothing but good things about this.

The opening few episodes were altogether pretty forgettable. At times it felt like Matthew Weiner was going through the motions and not delivering on the miracle drama of season 4, it's getting gradually more 'soapy'.

There have however been 3 fairly stand-out episodes, particularly the one where Don accepts an award.

It might've been shot a bit too obvious/explicit, but I loved it when every key character in the ball returned to the dinner table, having been perfectly happy until struck by a realisation during the event. It's silent gloom captured superbly. Don has been told that the businessman at the ball don't actually like him, Sally has just lost some of her innocence after seeing le BJ, Megan is upset because her Dad has just made his disappointment of her clear and she knows he's probably right. Both Roger and the mother of Megan are perhaps a shade guilty after what they've just done, and they're aware it isn't anything more than a desperate fling.

Before this season started I said that, for it to be a success, Don has to flip. Or at least something uber-insane must develop to break from the routine we're being given. Give us Don's demons! There has been one major hint early on that it might happen. As it is, and this is probably my biggest complaint of the show, most of the characters go through an ordeal or have a sudden shift in perspective as to who they are and what they stand for, and then by the next episode they've forgotten all about it. It's happened to Don since season 1. Of course it's immensely hard to pull off this consistency over such a great number of shows when you're juggling so many characters, but that doesn't mean they should all default to their original personalities.

Also, are people becoming more aware of Jon Ham's ineptitude when compared to other members of the cast? I used to think he was elite but now his manner is waning on me. That's why he needs a kick in the nuts.

Favourite character is still Pete. Betty has always been annoying and boring, I honestly couldn't care less about her thread now.

Bring back Faye in some way, please!

Edited by dwarf

The opening few episodes were altogether pretty forgettable. At times it felt like Matthew Weiner was going through the motions and not delivering on the miracle drama of season 4, it's getting gradually more 'soapy'.

There have however been 3 fairly stand-out episodes, particularly the one where Don accepts an award.

Before this season started I said that, for it to be a success, Don has to flip. Or at least something uber-insane must develop to break from the routine we're being given. Give us Don's demons! There has been one major hint early on that it might happen. As it is, and this is probably my biggest complaint of the show, most of the characters go through an ordeal or have a sudden shift in perspective as to who they are and what they stand for, and then by the next episode they've forgotten all about it. It's happened to Don since season 1. Of course it's immensely hard to pull off this consistency over such a great number of shows when you're juggling so many characters, but that doesn't mean they should all default to their original personalities.

Also, are people becoming more aware of Jon Ham's ineptitude when compared to other members of the cast? I used to think he was elite but now his manner is waning on me. That's why he needs a kick in the nuts.

Favourite character is still Pete. Betty has always been annoying and boring, I honestly couldn't care less about her thread now.

Bring back Faye in some way, please!

At-the-Codfish-Ball-Dinner-tableau.jpg

Yeah, really liked that bit too. I also loved the use of

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I'm thinking the episode after. Don turning off the record was a bit too obvious, but still.

Anyway, generally agree with you. Good that the series has an end date now, as you say there's been a few episodes which have just been 'okay' - wasn't too impressed by the last couple, for instance. Not sure a big dramatic event needs to happen though, never really happens on MM does it? So I dunno if it would fit. Also, I don't think it's too inconsistant, half the point is probably that noone can actually do much to change the way they live, unless they have the security for a big life change as Meghan did.

Agreed on the Betty thing. Can't really see why she's still in it, given she's separate from the rest of the characters now. Pete's been great. I just want more Joan in it really. Ahh.

That was more like it / horrific / vile / fantastic.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Yes Peggy.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

Shit the bed. Should never have doubted Matthew Weiner, that was spectacular.

Anyone been watching series 6? Finale next week.

Don is a real prick now, and kind of being back to his most interesting after how tame he was after first marrying Megan. He's jealous of Ted's relationship with "his girl" Peggy and is content with sending Sally to boarding school to cover up his infidelities.

Not sure what I make of the whole Bob/Pete storyline, we'll just see how it plays out.

Is series 7 supposed to be the last one?

I've watched up to Season 6, but i'm waiting for 6 to finish before we get into it. I like to watch them in a bundle. I'm personally not as much of a fan of Mad Men as my gf is, but they are still good to watch.

Yeah I've been saving it to watch without gaps. As good as Mad Men is, there's not a lot that happens so if I wait each week I tend to completely forget about it as I'm not especially looking forward to anything. I get much more joy out of watching them a few episodes at a time :)

Anyone been watching series 6? Finale next week.

Don is a real prick now, and kind of being back to his most interesting after how tame he was after first marrying Megan. He's jealous of Ted's relationship with "his girl" Peggy and is content with sending Sally to boarding school to cover up his infidelities.

Not sure what I make of the whole Bob/Pete storyline, we'll just see how it plays out.

Is series 7 supposed to be the last one?

I've been watching it, but I'm still only up to episode 8, it's one of those shows I watch with my gf, so it usually gets a bit delayed.

As for season (remember, if it's from yank land, we say season, not series, lol) 7, yes, it will indeed be the last. And that's good to know. No show has EVER maintained quality over 7-8 seasons. Canon gets too big, can't be done.

Yeah I've been saving it to watch without gaps. As good as Mad Men is, there's not a lot that happens so if I wait each week I tend to completely forget about it as I'm not especially looking forward to anything. I get much more joy out of watching them a few episodes at a time :)

I'm the other way around, I think watching it all in a short burst makes it lose appeal. Although to be fair, I think the same of every show, lol.

It's on my to-watch list.

It's on many peoples' list of the top four TV shows of the past decade along with Sopranos, Breaking Bad and The Wire. I've seen those three and loved them, and heard nothing but good things about this.

Old post, I know... but Sops and Wire are top tier (along with BoB, Deadwood, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Dekalog and Heimat), Mad Men is second tier (along with Boardwalk Empire, Game Of Thrones, City Of Men, Six Feet Under, The Pacific, etc) and Breaking Bad is third tier (with stuff like The Shield, Tremé, Rome, Oz, etc).

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

Lies, Mad Men and Six Feet Under are top tier :heh:

I've watched it regularly since Season 2 was aired over here, throughly enjoyed all of it. Makes sense that the next series will be the last, if they kept it going any longer they wouldn't be in the 60s anymore which was one of the main points of the show when it started. I went back and watched a few of the earlier episodes in between waiting for the new ones to come up each week, the look and feel of the show changes quite a lot by the time they get to series 6. The difference with Peggy's character now is particularly striking.

Gonna be sad to see it go.

I've burned through seasons of Mad Men and I do think watching an episode a week is beneficial. I think the last ep I saw was e11 and essentially the Don/Sally situation has been in my mind all week. Before when I've just watched one episode after another I've not been able to allow the show to simmer in my head. Much prefer it.

Proper post another time.

I think it could've been condensed into 4 or 5 seasons, the ratings rather than plot development dictate the recommissioning. It's addictive as ever but they really are drip feeding the meat of the story. More than ever I'd label it a classy soap. Great TV, but it needs to wrap up soon. Still looking forward to the last episode, who knows where the bang is coming from?

So did anyone watch the series (we are not septic tanks) 7 premiere?

Really enjoyed the slow mo scene where Megan picked up Don from the airport. They look like the perfect couple, but we all know their marriage hangs by a thread.

Also interesting to wonder why Don is actually doing what he's doing - you just knew that pitch at the start of the episode was too good to come from Freddy.

Bit annoying they're splitting it into two halves, especially seeing as there's not a production break like with Breaking Bad. Just means another year to wait after the 7th episode. :indeed:

Sign in to follow this