N-Europe

The Armando Iannucci Shows

dwarf

This was a one-off sketch-show series from way back in 2001, somehow I only came across it recently but my God is it good. Without question my favourite sketch show. Iannucci is a brilliant writer and performer, he's collaborated with Stewart Lee before (I refer you to their dialogues on Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - on Youtube) and was the mastermind behind I'm Alan Patridge.

You might be more familiar with the powerhouse than I am, but if not give a couple of episodes from this a try. They're consistently good, and even the occasional 'miss' sketches are interesting to watch. It's slightly more sophisticated than a sketch show because there's a new, dryer theme running throughout each one giving the loose impression of a story. Blah blah, I'll let you decide if you like it.

Edited by dwarf

Thanks for this, will check it out.

In terms of great sketches, there are some amazing ones by Mitchell and Webb (a fair number of misses too, but still)

You've probably seen them, but in particular the M&W Big Talk, Angry Waiter, and Football sketches are legendary.

I bought this from HMV for £30 and it is well worth it.

small3D.jpg

Inside is

The Day Today - Complete Series

Knowing Me, Knowing You With Alan Partridge + Christmas Special

I'm Alan Partridge - Series 1

I'm Alan Partridge - Series 2

The Thick Of It - Series 1

The Thick Of It - Series 2

The Thick Of It - Series 3

The Thick Of It - The Specials

Time Trumpet - Complete Series

Buuuuut NOT the Armando Iannucci Shows. I remember vaguely watching it when it was on but I was quite young.

So I picked that up separately when I bought the above and it is ace!